GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've been stalking the forums for a while now while looking for my new truck. So, let me tell everyone a little bit about myself. My name is Eric. I'm active duty, stationed in Ft Campbell, KY. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan. I've been looking for a Sierra for quite some time now and almost settled on purchasing a new 2014, but I talked myself out of the payments! I bought my wife a 2014 Acadia about six months ago so now it was my turn! I currently own a 1994 Jeep Wrangler and while I love my jeep, its just not practical for the family, so it was time to upgrade.

I found a deal I just couldn't pass up. I didn't have a way for my wife to go check the truck out or get it home, so I had an accessor go take a look at the truck and he gave me a few negotiating points and had a bumper to bumper inspection done by a GMC dealership and it checked out! So, I negotiated with the dealership and got a great price! The truck is a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali AWD with 125k miles. Great thing is, the dealership even offered to deliver it to my wife from OH to TN for free. My wife should be taking delivery of it by Friday of this week. Until then, the dealer photos will have to do.

So, on to the plans, because honestly, this is the part that everyone really cares about. This is going to be a slow build because money is what makes the world turn, right? So, first things first. I plan to buy a RC 4.75" combo lift kit. Next upgrade will be a set of wheels. I haven't decided on which ones yet, but I plan on 20x10s or 20x9s with either 33" or 35" tires. The question is though, what will fit? I've looked around and found that I may need a bit of trimming with 35's but is it worth it? What kind of rubbing issues on the frame will I have with 20x10s? What kind of backspacing will I need in order to correct this?

Next up will be performance. From what I've read, the L92 is a great motor that is just being choked. I still want to keep some decent gas mileage, but free up some power and just overall make the truck SOUND better. I'm thinking about picking up an AFE enclosed intake system. I've been around and don't expect to see noticable HP gains from this, but its more based on reviews. Next up is another question laden mod; exhaust. Right now I'm leaning towards a BORLA XR-1. Now, the question is, should I go true duals or should I go with a single muffler with dual tails? I'm thinking about going with 3.5" pipes and true duals, but will this benefit me at all or should I just stick with the cheaper option? The last performance mod that I'm BARELY thinking about right now is cams coupled with a tune (thinking about Black Bear). I have no knowledge on this, so I'm not looking too seriously at it right now. Is this a worthwhile mod for a DD who still wants to stay in the realm of decent gas mileage for a truck?

As far as cosmetic mods, I'd like to put some tint on the windows, paint the black plastics, add a bed cover, herculine the bed with a bed rug for the floor, demold/debadge, and a few others. I like what smfarmer did with his B pillar vinyl making the front and back windows look solid black to throw off all the silver. I think I mights steal this idea! (Thanks smfarmer) Other than that, I may do a few things here and there to touch it up and make it unique, and I hope that I get a ton of useful information for everyone here to make things a bit easier for me. I'll probably start a build thread once I get home in a few months, but until then, heres some pictures.

image_zps65f07c58.jpg

image_zps0cf6b95a.jpg

image_zps34ec3375.jpg

image_zpsca00e387.jpg

image_zps645bbab5.jpg

image_zps659a8224.jpg

image_zps229456af.jpg

Well, thats it for now! Thanks for looking and having me on the site!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome man. I'm new from TN. Just south of Ft Campbell. Around Huntingdon. Nice Sierra you got there. Thanks for your service.. Hope you get home safe. Enjoy the truck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I read your introduction. Looks like you've been around the full size truck world for a while. I just got to Campbell in the beginning of '13 so I never really got the opportunity to explore. How far is that from Nashville? I've made a few trips down that way. I LOVE the fishing in TN. I came from El Paso so there wasn't much fishing to be had there. I missed a few years worth. I've got a lot of catching up to do!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Welcome man nice truck. I'd go with a tune whether you cammed it or not

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How does the mail order tune work though? If I change something somewhere down the line I'm assuming I would have to get another one done, correct? Like I said, I've never really looked deeply into cams to see what all is involved. But it sounds like it is a very beneficial mod.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts