GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Steady Skate'in
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
I've seen some really tight rides on here and have read the boards for a couple of week before sending this out. I just bought a 03 Sierra ESC. A dealer in my area sells truck with a 3/4 drop and a few other mods for about $6K extra. I figured I could do the same thing for waayyyy cheaper, plus the custom truck I test drove (3/4 w/coils/shak/hanger and 22's) It rode nice on the smooth rodes but it felt and sounded like the truck was going to snap in half on the bump/pothole roads. I live in the DC area and the roads are real crappy. I have read many articles and I think I would get a better ride if I used 2" control arm or 2" spindle with a 1" spring to get the desired drop in front, plus I have a customised car with shorter springs and I know how much of a difference shortned springs can make in a smooth ride. Any way, I have looked at Stylinconcepts/ Belltech/DJM and each offer a 3/4 for about $399 with Arms/schackle/hangers, I was thinking about getting such a kit plus get a 1" spring for the inch of drop. Soon after I plan on getting 275/45/20's or I saw a guy with the same set up with 285/45/20's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and keep up the good work on those rides.

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
As I've learned the difficult way, use either arms or spindles. Coils will only take away from the ride quaility. You might check out some of the McGuaughty stuff. Everybody loves that stuff. I can't speak from too much experience with static drops, I bought a 2/4 kit and decided not to install it and go straight to bags. Good luck in your endvores though, this is THE place to go for the info you seek. :shake:

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Don't Do a 3/4. The ass end will be way up in the air.

I'd do a 3/5 or 3/6.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Chris99GMC said:
Don't Do a 3/4. The ass end will be way up in the air.

I'd do a 3/5 or 3/6.
Werd! I agree with that. It'll have a rake to it.

·
Steady Skate'in
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A Chris I see you have the 3/6 drop and your truck and it has a nice stance. The only reason I wasn't going with the 4/6 is because I wasn't really trying to "C" notch the frame. How is the Notch process? How will it affect my payload or towing rate. I also have a bike,but I'm getting a trailer for it and some of my lawn equip. I'm not even going to ask how that plays with my warranty, manufactures hate any "custom mods" that's why the dealer here sells the truck with a 3/4 drop. So that's where I came up with that idea. I would really like to have the 4/6 drop like on the McGaughy's web site, but some of the roads will have me :bawl: at the first time something scraps.

·
Steady Skate'in
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Badass, I'm definently not trying to go the 3" coil route. That 4/4 drop your sporting looks good also.... :confused: choices choices.

YO CARBONDOGG!!!!! What set up do yo have on ur truck? I went to your site and looked at the pics of you truck in the feild and then I saw another pic u posted in a tread concernig tires on a 2/4 drop. The pic you took of the truck under a carport and the one showing the rear of the truck sitting on pavement is nice. Can I buy a 3/5 or 3/6 kit with c arms or spindles or would I have to buy the components seperatly to get that stance, plus I'm not sure about which co. to choose Bell or DJM.

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
the 3/6 drop looks great on the nbs trucks. the frame notch is nothing to be scared of. i havent done mine yet, but a lot of people on here have and dont have any problems. i'm going with a 3/6 soon. the towing should not be affected with a 6" rear drop. it uses the stock leaf springs. towing a utility trailer with some lawn mowing equipment should not be a problem.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Buying drop Components Separately is no Big Deal at all.

Either get the DJM 4/6 or get a custom drop like I did. By all means if you are looking for good ride quality, Get Drop Lower Control arms for the front and a Flip kit for the rear with a C-notch. If you don't want to go that low, go with like a 3" coil in the front or 2" Spindels/1" coil, or 2" LCA's and a 1" coil.

The Drop coils will ride stiffer than stock. The more drop from the coil, the stiffer the ride will be. I went with the 3" coil because I wanted more of a Performance oriented truck that could handle well.... and Does it Ever!

Don't worry about notching the frame. There are no drawbacks if you install the notches correctly and if anything, it will make your frame stronger than it was before.

My reccomendation to you is to Drop 4/6 with the DJM kit. Get the 20's you want and get like a 255/45/20 Tire for the drop. It will ride good and you'll be happy. :read:

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Chris99GMC said:
Buying drop Components Separately is no Big Deal at all.

Either get the DJM 4/6 or get a custom drop like I did. By all means if you are looking for good ride quality, Get Drop Lower Control arms for the front and a Flip kit for the rear with a C-notch. If you don't want to go that low, go with like a 3" coil in the front or 2" Spindels/1" coil, or 2" LCA's and a 1" coil.

The Drop coils will ride stiffer than stock. The more drop from the coil, the stiffer the ride will be. I went with the 3" coil because I wanted more of a Performance oriented truck that could handle well.... and Does it Ever!

Don't worry about notching the frame. There are no drawbacks if you install the notches correctly and if anything, it will make your frame stronger than it was before.

My reccomendation to you is to Drop 4/6 with the DJM kit. Get the 20's you want and get like a 255/45/20 Tire for the drop. It will ride good and you'll be happy. :read:
I agree once again! If you're wanting to drop go ahead and drop it a 4/6 or even a 4/7. I'm going to a 4 when i need some tires. My setup is kinda strange! I run 3" coils (Which ride like shit) in the front and I have 4" drop leafs 2" hangers and 2" shackles set to 1" outback. A lot of shit I know! It would be easier if you would just notch the frame with a flip kit out back and spindles, A-armsand/or coils in the front. Like Chris said notching the frame isn't as bad as it sounds. That link in my sig has some old pics here's some updated ones: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/351357

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
werd man, theres nothign worse than putting on your drop kit and nto even really being slammed, i changed my setup three times:read:

Dont worry about the C-notch either its a breeze to install, really, it just bolts into your cutout, and once bolted in, IS the strongest point on the frame :head:

Welcome to the site!

Paul

·
Registered
61 Posts
YB_Average said:
A Chris I see you have the 3/6 drop and your truck and it has a nice stance. The only reason I wasn't going with the 4/6 is because I wasn't really trying to "C" notch the frame. How is the Notch process? How will it affect my payload or towing rate. I also have a bike,but I'm getting a trailer for it and some of my lawn equip. I'm not even going to ask how that plays with my warranty, manufactures hate any "custom mods" that's why the dealer here sells the truck with a 3/4 drop. So that's where I came up with that idea. I would really like to have the 4/6 drop like on the McGaughy's web site, but some of the roads will have me :bawl: at the first time something scraps.
I went with a much more subtle drop because I didn't want to void my warranty. I chose a kit from McGaughy with 2" front spindles and rear shackle/hanger combo. I ended up with using the lowest hole on the hanger and the top hole on the shakle for a 3 1/2" rear drop.

I think it looks way, way better than the way I drove it off the lot but I also know I will be earger to go lower when the warranty is out.

Even with this setup I have a bumpy ride on many roads and freeways and I intend to see if I can do something about that. The truck rode better before the drop and I can't see what is causing it. Maybe I need to do something with the shocks.

Here's pics before and after:

Attachments

·
Steady Skate'in
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for all of your pics, advice and other help. I'm now really considering a lower drop 4/6 or Chirs or Carbons 3/6. I'll start pricing today. I know what ever I do, it'll stand out (in a positve way) since there are not too many lowered trucks around this area, most stay at the stock height and add 22's-26's. I wish the roads here were as smooth as some your roads, then there would be no questions about how low. What I lack in ride height I'll make up in other in other areas, even at 3/4 LowBlue, it won't be average :D ,I 'll do GMFS proud.

·
Formerly Bagged Member
220 Posts
What's up YB Average, i live in the DC area in Charles County. If i'm guessin right you've gotta be talkin bout Winegardner Chevy and what me aand my boys call "Winegardner Customs" that come off the lot wit 20s and a 4/6 drop from what i can tell. anyways, i myself have a 01 RCSB chevy and decided to skip the lowering process and go straight to bags cuz evryone else around here spends 10 bucks at PEP Boys and thinks their shit is tight, lol. I've seen a few lowered trucks like mine around, 3 ext cabs. one's bagged on 20s but doesnt lay, another has atleast a 5/7 on 20s, and the other is a 4/7 on some escalade wheels, so i'm showing em all up by layin frame on 20s since 22's are outta my price range. hit me up if you're from the area. peace

·
Formerly Bagged Member
220 Posts
oh yea. KP comes in this week!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts