GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i'm new here and i registered just to ask this question and because i love reading all this stuff! anyways i have a 2000 z71 with 6" superlift and three 3" body lift with 16X10's with 38x15.5.... my question is it has no factory steering stabilizer or none at all actually and at 30-40 mph the steering wheel goes crazy.... some say it is and some say it ain't the fact that it has no stabilizer... any ideas on fixin this even if the stabilizer isn't the answer and any good leads on where and what to get thanks i lot guys! :shake:

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
first of all get some pictures!
2nd of all, you may want to change out some components to the cognito motorsports to help some of your issu, and that doesn't sound like a steering stabilizer problem sounds like more of an alignment issue to me

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
alignment and worn componets is my best guess. Running those bigass tires on your half ton IFS have probably totally fawked your steering componets (pitman arm, idler arm etc...) if you have been running them long. Thats why I recomend no bigger than a 36x14.50 on a half ton. A steering stabilizer may help some but your way better off finding the real problem, not just slapping a band-aid over it.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
i agree, worn stock steering components, a bad alignment, no steering stablizer... all of this will cause sloppy steering. You may also want to re-balance those tires.

Post some pics for us!

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info i'm gonna get the local 4x4 shop down here in ga to check it out... i've had 3 lifted trucks that model a 99 with 6" a 2000 reg cab with 6" and now this 2000 ext cab with 9" and it rides great till you get to 30 mph and pass 40 mph... i love this thing tho...i don't really do much offroading... nowhere to go around here anymore... oh well.. :nono:

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh yeah i'll get some pics up real soon of all my trucks i've had...

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
It could be anything.... pitman arm, idler arm, tie rods, balljoints. Wont know until you get under there. I've gone through all of the above stuff multiple times, and I've only got 35's.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
actually i'm runnin tsl's... i had great luck out of my 35 ssr's... i have never replaced a thing in the steering in any of my trucks... totally by luck i know...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Huh i figured that it was the same tires as me becasue mine do the same thing very bad, that is why I ordered sts's today :anitoof: hopefully it will solve the problem

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I know my steering wheel would shake pretty bad do to very unbalanced tires. I got them re-balanced and it helped alot. Changed tires to the STS and cured the problem. I think most of it is in the balancing of the tires :imo

9,778 Posts
if they are bias ply tires that might just be part of the beast...mine does the same thing when i hit big potholes sometimes...everything under my front end is in good shape though.

where in ga u located man and get those pics

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dirty black i am from canton ga! i have family in thomasville! well like family i never see... yeah i'll get some pics up soon guys, i am building myself a house and i barely have time to wash my truck much less take pictures... :nono: you guys have helped a lot, my friend that works on 4x4's said my front end is in great shape and said i am gonna have to break down and put weights on the outsides of the wheels... they don't look good but he swears thats the problem and i actually think hes right... i'm gonna give it a try... :think:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts