GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought some 12v 100w 9006 headlight bulbs for my 96 truck but never thought to ask anyone if the factory wiring will have troulble handling that much wattage. will i be ok or not? i have 12v 55w bulbs in there now. thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
i had some 100w in my 90 model. never had any problems what so ever.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome, thanks

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
it burned my drivers side plug up..but autozone, advance auto parts or some other parts store should have the upgrade plug..
i went on ebay and got the male plugs and wires, bought 30/40 amp relays and sockets, and i'm making my own heavy duty wiring harness for about 35.00
i would put a heavy harness just to be on the safe side.
what would you rather? burning your truck up and costing $5k-15k depending on how much you have tied into the truck..or spending roughly $50.00 to protect your investment?

LMCTRUCKS has a heavy duty wiring harness already put together for 30.00 but you have to pay roughy 18.00 shipping. so it's just cheaper to order and make your own

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks man, maybe ill just sell the bulbs and keep the 55w ones in there cause i havent even opened them yet

edit: what about a 75w bulb, the 55w just dont seem bright enough when off the ground so high

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it burned my drivers side plug up..but autozone, advance auto parts or some other parts store should have the upgrade plug..
i went on ebay and got the male plugs and wires, bought 30/40 amp relays and sockets, and i'm making my own heavy duty wiring harness for about 35.00
i would put a heavy harness just to be on the safe side.
what would you rather? burning your truck up and costing $5k-15k depending on how much you have tied into the truck..or spending roughly $50.00 to protect your investment?

LMCTRUCKS has a heavy duty wiring harness already put together for 30.00 but you have to pay roughy 18.00 shipping. so it's just cheaper to order and make your own
appreciate it man, got a link to lmc?

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can do alot with some heavy wire, relays and some time
100_0224ed.gif
how tough is it to rewire all that?

i think im just gonna put the 100w bulbs in, i think it will be ok

·
Texas is Alaska's B!t*h
43 Posts
A relay for the low beams to stay on, one for the fog lamps, one for the off road lamps, and one for the 100w hi-beams.

I have 100w hi, 65w lows, 100w off roads, 65w fogs. Kill swithes all around and 10g wire

·
Wambulance Driver
1,790 Posts
So if I want to wire my fog lights in with my low beams and my driving lights to come on with my high beams (then all 8 lights will be on with my high beams) I need to re-wire things first to make sure they can handle the power?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anyone know?

·
Texas is Alaska's B!t*h
43 Posts
So if I want to wire my fog lights in with my low beams and my driving lights to come on with my high beams (then all 8 lights will be on with my high beams) I need to re-wire things first to make sure they can handle the power?
YES

650 plus watts of hi-beamage is worth it

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh, that LMC kit doesnt require any cutting or splicing? it just uses the stock headlight signal to trigger the relay which then connects the battery power to the actual headlight? am i understanding this right? and which one would i need, the A, B, or C version? are my headlights composite or sealed?

·
Wambulance Driver
1,790 Posts
Your headlights are composit, you can change the bulb without getting whole new light fixture. The sealed beams are on the work truck edition.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cool, thanks man

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i think im just gonna get that lmc kit mitch, even though i cant seem to get any feedback on it, haha, what you gonna do?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts