GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up, ive been reading through the archived threads and picked up alot of ideas on what I can do with my truck. Ive been a car guy all my life but I just got my hands on a 99 Sierra. Im thinking about getting a 6" body lift; I want my truck to be taller, but still short enough to enter parking structures without second guessing. What manufacturers offer a kit like this for my truck? How much would one run me? How difficult is the install? Would I have to replace any suspension parts? What size rims/tires would look good with the lift?

Sorry, Im a newb and im full of questions. Thanks to anyone who responds in advance.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
99GMCSIERRA said:
Whats up, ive been reading through the archived threads and picked up alot of ideas on what I can do with my truck. Ive been a car guy all my life but I just got my hands on a 99 Sierra. Im thinking about getting a 6" body lift; I want my truck to be taller, but still short enough to enter parking structures without second guessing. What manufacturers offer a kit like this for my truck? How much would one run me? How difficult is the install? Would I have to replace any suspension parts? What size rims/tires would look good with the lift?

Sorry, Im a newb and im full of questions. Thanks to anyone who responds in advance.
Sorry friend but 6" body is not possible. You could do 3". Or you could get a 6 inch suspension lift. For 3 inch body questions visit the other body lift thread in the offroad section, we covered your questions there

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
no one makes a 6" bodylift and if they did it would be aweful looking. I think yout talking about a 6" suspension lift. One runs 1200-1800 and they need a decent mechanic to instal it, at least someone with knowledge of gm IFS and the tools to do disasemble and reasemble it.

I would run a 16x8 or 16x10 with 35s.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
TheLlama said:
Sorry friend but 6" body is not possible. You could do 3". Or you could get a 6 inch suspension lift. For 3 inch body questions visit the other body lift thread in the offroad section, we covered your questions there
heh its possible, but would looks like shit, you could probably see between your frame and body from the side of the truck!

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
heh its possible, but would looks like shit, you could probably see between your frame and body from the side of the truck!
Not to mention the placement of the engine. Thats just too funny to think about.

And BTW, I know its possible, just not probable. A guy down the street has about 8 inch body lift on an old dodge. Its too funny

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, you guys are fast. Thanks for the responses. So do any of you guys recommend a specific kit? Im not looking to offroad or anything, its more of an aesthetic thing. And about how much would an install cost?

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
99GMCSIERRA said:
Wow, you guys are fast. Thanks for the responses. So do any of you guys recommend a specific kit? Im not looking to offroad or anything, its more of an aesthetic thing. And about how much would an install cost?
Procomp is good, lookin at about 600 buckss from an offroad dealer. If you drive to stephen he will do it for much less. And if your gonna do 6, you lookin at quite a chunk of change, if you run 35's you will most likely need to regear.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
i believe the 4-6" spindle lift is for the hd's only. It combines a 4" spindle with a 2" torsion bar crank, which isn't possible for you, because you don't have torsion bars.

The CST 7" kit that you listed is for your truck and would be my choice as far as lifts.

If you have the money, I'd upgrade to the CST long travel kit with uniballs. But the kit is quite a bit more, and coil-over shocks cost a pretty penny.

Thanks for joining the site

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Oh, my bad, I just read your link.

Apparently CST does offer a so called "4-6" inch kit. It's basically a 4" spindle lift, which is a great way to go. But they are combining the new spindle with a 2" coil spacer, which sucks. They make your truck really hard to align, and your ride will stiffen dramatically.

I know it's cheaper, but i wouldn't recommend that method.

Stay with their 7" kit. Fabtech makes a pretty decent 7" kit too.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
You need to know the parking garage sizes you will be going into, I dont fit into any of them anymore, when i had a 6 inch and 35's i fit into most but it was very close. now its only a dream :bawl:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
forgive my indecisiveness, ive decided that 7" might be a bit much for what im looking for. im thinking that a 3" or 4" would be more of what i want. so, in this case, should a go with a body lift or a spindle lift? what are the pros and cons? would i be able to install a body lift myself?

also, what size rims and tires would look good on a 3"? all i know is that i want to replace the ugly factory ones..

sorry for all the newb questions, just dont want to make a mistake. peace

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
99GMCSIERRA said:
forgive my indecisiveness, ive decided that 7" might be a bit much for what im looking for. im thinking that a 3" or 4" would be more of what i want. so, in this case, should a go with a body lift or a spindle lift? what are the pros and cons? would i be able to install a body lift myself?

also, what size rims and tires would look good on a 3"? all i know is that i want to replace the ugly factory ones..

sorry for all the newb questions, just dont want to make a mistake. peace
You could do a 3, and since your 2wd i dont know what size tires. Or a 3 inch pro comp spindle lift and a body and run 33's

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I would get the 4" cst spindle. Keeps everything at the stock angles. Run a 1 or 2" block in the back. I think you could get away with a 285/75/16 or maybe even a 295/75/16. Get 16x8" rims with the correct backspacing that cst recommends using with their spindles. You would be about a inch taller than a stock z71, and those tires would look pretty beefy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts