GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys Whats happening.

My name is Mike, My screen name is Chevy Fan Attic. Im 56 y/o from So Cal and have been a gear head all of my life.
Been a Chevy guy all my life. My first car was a 69 SS 350 4 speed Nova, I have owned a couple of 69 SS 396 El Caminos, A LT1 Camero
My current ride is a 2002 GMC Sierra 3500 4 door dually. Can diagnose and spin wrenches on the old stuff but like a lot of guys the new stuff has left me in the dust but I have a strong interest in computer tuning and CARB legal modifications etc.
Im hoping to gain knowledge and make some friends along the way.
Peace,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey Guys Whats happening.

My name is Mike, My screen name is Chevy Fan Attic. Im 56 y/o from So Cal and have been a gear head all of my life.
Been a Chevy guy all my life. My first car was a 69 SS 350 4 speed Nova, I have owned a couple of 69 SS 396 El Caminos, A LT1 Camero
My current ride is a 2002 GMC Sierra 3500 4 door dually. Can diagnose and spin wrenches on the old stuff but like a lot of guys the new stuff has left me in the dust but I have a strong interest in computer tuning and CARB legal modifications etc.
Im hoping to gain knowledge and make some friends along the way.
Peace,
(y)

·
Read Only
51 Posts
Hey welcome to GMFS - Tuners and tuning can get interesting... I had thought about it a long time.. Being in the Northeast where the state requires inspections for both safety and emissions I also had to be mindful of the carb legal stuff. I went with the Diablossport Trinity tuner. Right now just one of the " canned " tunes it comes with a few plug and play options that you can tweak along the way. Just decided to play it safe and run the 87 tune with some shift point / remove the speed limiter / and adjust for tire size. Truck also has a k&n intake and a flowmaster exhaust. Didnt really think I would notice much besides decreased mpg but honestly on the highway the truck feels much more responsive and doesnt feel like something is holding it back anymore.......

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Northeast you don’t have to worry about carb things. As long as you have cats on your truck and no check engine codes it doesn’t matter what you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
51 Posts
Some retailers wont even ship the tuners to NY due to emissions and carb regulations... I know P.A. state inspections are very different but NY is strict !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey welcome to GMFS - Tuners and tuning can get interesting... I had thought about it a long time.. Being in the Northeast where the state requires inspections for both safety and emissions I also had to be mindful of the carb legal stuff. I went with the Diablossport Trinity tuner. Right now just one of the " canned " tunes it comes with a few plug and play options that you can tweak along the way. Just decided to play it safe and run the 87 tune with some shift point / remove the speed limiter / and adjust for tire size. Truck also has a k&n intake and a flowmaster exhaust. Didnt really think I would notice much besides decreased mpg but honestly on the highway the truck feels much more responsive and doesnt feel like something is holding it back anymore....... View attachment 869348
Im going to get one of those jobbers, looking on amazon right now. The one main issue I have is the dam truck wont go past 100 mph, I found out about that limitation coming back from Lake Havasu out in the middle of nowhere, @ lane each direction and there was a Rig in #2 lane and Im coming up hard on it while passing a car in the #1 lane,That 8.1 gas motor even in stock form has a fairly wicked 70 to 100 mph acceleration, Im thinking no problem, Im getting closer to the rig I signal to the car in the #1 lane merge into that lane and my truck just stops acceleration. I feel that that rev speed limiter has probably caused a few accidents although plenty would say different, and I suppose their right to some degree.

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Some retailers wont even ship the tuners to NY due to emissions and carb regulations... I know P.A. state inspections are very different but NY is strict !
Diablo has a completely different tuner for california only. It is unable to receive custom tunes.

The trinity is no different than any of diablos other tuners as far as tuning goes, it just has a fancy display.

Op if/when you get a tuner, contact diablew.com he will sell you the tuner and a custom tune at a good deal.. unless you live in Cali.

·
Read Only
51 Posts
Im going to get one of those jobbers, looking on amazon right now. The one main issue I have is the dam truck wont go past 100 mph, I found out about that limitation coming back from Lake Havasu out in the middle of nowhere, @ lane each direction and there was a Rig in #2 lane and Im coming up hard on it while passing a car in the #1 lane,That 8.1 gas motor even in stock form has a fairly wicked 70 to 100 mph acceleration, Im thinking no problem, Im getting closer to the rig I signal to the car in the #1 lane merge into that lane and my truck just stops acceleration. I feel that that rev speed limiter has probably caused a few accidents although plenty would say different, and I suppose their right to some degree.
Oh yea ... Know how that goes all to well. Was headed out of town for the night on a main stretch of highway and some dip ship dam near side swipes me ... So I wanted to make sure he knew he messed up and catching up to him the limiter kicked in somewhere around 100 .... Was looking for a way to shut that off and after adding the other stuff to the truck wanted a way to wake it up a little ... Came across that tuner and at the time the only negative feedback that I could find was that the screen has frozen up or when you remote start the truck you need to tap the screen twice to turn it on.. but honestly my froze up once and have had no other issues ... The items that it packs I think is pretty good for the price. Make sure you buy a new one . If it's pre-owned there's a chance it could be vin locked and you would have to pay a fee to get it unlocked . I bought mine from 4wp and used a coupon code from honey to save some change .... Let me know if you have any questions . Best of luck on your hunt !

·
Read Only
51 Posts
Diablo has a completely different tuner for california only. It is unable to receive custom tunes.

The trinity is no different than any of diablos other tuners as far as tuning goes, it just has a fancy display.

Op if/when you get a tuner, contact diablew.com he will sell you the tuner and a custom tune at a good deal.. unless you live in Cali.

I know they still wouldn't ship it to NY .. had to use my NC address to get it . And it's got 3 " can " tunes already loaded in it. It does have the live data logging and some other features but right now I just wanted to wake the truck up a little . In the end I would really like to throw a supercharger on it

·
Read Only
51 Posts
Then you will have to go with a dyno tune or a supercharger tune. Diablo/diablew doesn’t do fi tunes

That's fine . It's gonna be some time anyway ... Gotta free up some funds and finish other projects and toys before I can throw 4 or 5 grand at a supercharger hahaha

·
Read Only
51 Posts
Not if you have a warranty..

Agreed ... the fact that its plug and play and you can flash it back to stock with in 30 minutes its great... Different strokes for different folks ... I like the diablosport tuner myself . Honestly its got more options that Im probably going to use anyway

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,407 Posts
Agreed ... the fact that its plug and play and you can flash it back to stock with in 30 minutes its great... Different strokes for different folks ... I like the diablosport tuner myself . Honestly its got more options that Im probably going to use anyway
Except for the fact it logs it and the dealer can see that someone has been in it. Doesn't matter if you change it back. Iirc 14+

·
Read Only
51 Posts
They would still need to prove the tune is what made what ever the failure or malfunction was .. and honestly working at a dealership if you are friends with the advisor some things get overlooked ?

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,407 Posts
They would still need to prove the tune is what made what ever the failure or malfunction was .. and honestly working at a dealership if you are friends with the advisor some things get overlooked
It's not hard. Because anything power train can be "caused" by messing with the tune. But I hope your friends can help you when you are far from home and you have an issue. But keep coming up with other excuses. I am aware of the laws in place so don't waste your time trying that one too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts