GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
GMT-400 Fan
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum but I've been around the forum community for awhile. Name is Tyler. I'm mainly on another forum but the same old regulars kinda limit opinions and access to new ideas after you see the same trucks all the time. Fsc is way too damn busy to even try posting in and last few times I was there I saw a ton of bull crap and no progress. So I thought I'd drop some lines in here and see what happens.

Current rides are a 97 ecsb Silverado. Owned for about 5 years now from 176k miles. Minimum wage job and money problems plagued my first four years of ownership so I made no significant changes other than full synthetic fluids and top shelf filters and necessary maintenance.

The past year brought some appearance upgrades. I changed all the lights. Fronts were a set of smoked lights purchased from another forum member. LED turn signals are cool and all but being cheaper eBay units some of the chips are starting to dim and go out. I expected this. Once half of them go I'll change to normal bulb housings, do a 3157 swap with LED bulbs. Also added a 22" OPT7 light bar. Not 100% happy with mounting location but it works until I can find something I like. I can't decide on a bull bar, Baja bar or brush guard. Visor has clear acrylic lenses and Amber HyPer LEDs. They were green til a state boy told me to change them and gave me a ticket for front tint. Tails were an impulse buy after I torched my fourth set of stock circuit boards. They work as well as a $100 set of eBay tails are expected to. I will upgrade these when they fail. Reverses are a pair of standard duty HyPer LED units. Recon smoked mini tailgate bar. Smoked LED third brake light and white cargo LEDs. Interior is pretty much all LED converted aside from the stuff that requires retrofitting. I need to get a soldering iron and perfect my skills before I get to swapping the detail required switches and such. Cluster, HVAC, dome, all four maps, glove box and footwells are white. All HyPer units. Door panels and footwells change every now and again from red to white to blue to green when I get bored and feel like swapping bulbs.

Sound system is nothing spectacular. Pioneer Bluetooth head unit door speakers and 750 watt amp that runs a 12" JLAudio sub in a ported halfway under the seat box. It bumps good when I want it to and is bearable when I need some background music.

Performance wise I don't have a whole lot going on yet. The truck has 255k on original power and drive train. At 252k I pulled the heads to have a manifold bolt drilled out that was broke when I bought the truck. It never leaked but it had to come out when the drivers manifold parted like the red sea. Christmas brought me a set of JBA stainless shorty headers from the gf to replace the three manifold pieces. Just for good measure I dropped some coin on a new direct fit set of stainless magnaflow catalytic convertors. From there it's 2.5" duals into a flowmaster super 40 that was a birthday gift last year and 2.5" dual out to 4x22" Flo-pro stainless 45 degree slash cut tips 45d at the corner bumper bolts. EGR went away after seeing the quarter inch of grime and carbon it left on the intakes and heads. It got cleaned off at performance engineering race engines which also checked all my valves and springs, installed new valve seals, checked all sealing surfaces and reassembled the heads. I cleaned the lifter valley even though the 75k miles of synthetic left damn near nothing behind to be cleaned out aside from some varnish and a little grime between the lifter keepers and cylinder wall side of the block. One swipe of a screwdriver and they were cleaned out. Piston tops were a whole different story. I couldn't see the valve relief cuts on any of them. Mineral spirits and a mini screwdriver and about four hours of scraping got them looking as good as they will ever get for the miles. New fel-pro gaskets and she was back running like a top. A volant cold air intake with an AEM dry flow filter tops off the engine bay

Suspension wise it's cranked to level with 265s. No money for wheels and tires at the moment and I'm very picky. I have plans to lift it but I have questions and that's a whole different forum section.

Now on to the part everyone wants. Pictures. I'm open to any ideas and opinions.

More pics and info upon request. I'm not here to stir the pot. Just get some thoughts and ideas and see some trucks I haven't seen a thousand times already. Thanks guys!

sent from a likely flagged smartphone.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome! I haven't been active on here long myself. I spent a lot of time over at Fullsizechevy.com in the past; grew tired of it years ago, and since I checked back in recently, activity is extremely low.

I'm in the NW Grand Rapids area; work right downtown and live in the NW GR part of Walker.

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,659 Posts
did you put that visor on purposely?

·
GMT-400 Fan
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome! I haven't been active on here long myself. I spent a lot of time over at Fullsizechevy.com in the past; grew tired of it years ago, and since I checked back in recently, activity is extremely low.

I'm in the NW Grand Rapids area; work right downtown and live in the NW GR part of Walker.
Nice! I know a couple folks from another forum. One I used to hang out with regularly on weekends.
did you put that visor on purposely?
Yes it was. Got it for free and I think it fits this trucks personality. They don't belong on every truck though. There's some 400s that would look like shit with a visor. This one was sold to me for $50 and the guy tossed in a matching set of running boards which immediately ended up on Craigslist for free. When the ad expired with not one call they were broken to bits and tossed in a dumpster.
So many words
Let it rip. I said I was open to opinions. I'm not here to stir shit up like some of the other known and already banned gmt400 guys. I just want to see some different trucks and hear from different guys.
They help keep rain off the windshield...
Kinda. Not really the point here. I wanted lights on the cab but I didn't like how any cab lights looked. I've always liked the visors on some of these trucks and when I found the lighted one in good shape for next to nothing I bought it up.
and close every pair of female legs in a 50 mile radius
Not the pair that's been with me for the past four years. She loves this truck.

That's a good line though. I'm gonna use that one at some point haha
That was pretty good. I'll give that to him.

·
GMT-400 Fan
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I said so many words as your post was so long.
I gotcha. I'm a talker. I love trucks. I'm a big diesel nut so if you get me started on that you'll be reading novels.
Hey if it works for you go with it... half these guys on here are legaly retarted anyway.
Haha! Well I'm definitely as far from normal as you can get. Everyone has their own opinions and tastes which they're entitled to express in whatever ways they please. I've been that idiot who put a bandaid on one of my dents just to make people laugh. But that's what makes everyone's trucks different. How much fun would truck meets and car shows be if they looked like a dealership lot. Stand out. But try to stay classy whenever possible.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
I did not say i was not one of them.... plus my phone sucks...
so what you're saying is, that you have spelled it wrong so long...that you're phone auto-corrects it to be spelled wrong? :think:

·
GMT-400 Fan
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went to the dunes this weekend. Left the truck to the gf. I couldn't bear taking it up with no front drive shaft or exhaust. Good news is I found a temporary gig til I get called back to my main job. So I will have some income before my unemployment runs out and up until I go back to work. Keeps the bills paid and food on the table.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts