GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Redistributing The Wealth
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after looking at a VHO and coming close to buying it and having my truck up for sale, I realized that I would have to come up with alot of $ to afford it. So now I've come back to what I had originally planned for my truck. RIght now I have 99,600 on my 5.3. I want to find a LQ4 or LQ9 used but low mileage with the 80e trans to back it. I'm planning on keeping the engine stock besides your basic bolt ons but with the tranny, I plan on doing a shift kit and vette servos since itll be out anyways. Now, my question is when and IF I find the right deal or buy and LQ4 or 9, who can I count on to install it around South Florida and how much is it going to cost me? I know many guys have done it at their house or shop but I cant do that. Is there any tips/ precautions that I need to be aware of while doing it or after?? Any problems associated with the swap? After I get all this answered, I am going to try to find an LQ9 or LQ4 and where is it I should search for these besides the for sale section? Also, If anyone has any suggestions about anything you think I should do while the engine/ tranny are out, please let me know Thanks, Justin

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
You do realize that the 4l80e swap is a $3000 swap right?

You could do it for alot cheaper, but since you plan on having a shop do it, I'll assume you don't really know what you're doing.

I would expect to pay around $1000-1500 for the install of the engine and tranny and that's on the low side.
So expect your total costs to come to around $6000
If you did it yourself you could probably do it for around $4500

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
What in the world do you have planned to necessitate that trans?

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
what with all the 5.3/6.0 guys doing 80 swaps here lately... not entirely needed IMO...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
until you break ~550whp, a nice built 60/65 will survive under there just fine... and you wont have that shit first gear of an 80E.... admittedly, the 1-2 shift sucks cause of the wide ass difference in ratios but that's much more easily overcome with a nice converter. and a hell of a lot cheaper...

·
Redistributing The Wealth
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going on the info I have seen on these forums, it seemed to me that when you swapped you engine for a 6.0, you would need a more powerful trans to back it. I also figured it would be a good idea because I have almost 100k on the stock trans. If you guys suggest keeping my stock trans then thats what I'll do since it will save me $. The whole point of me writing this thread is to get suggestions and help along the way while I'm searching for everything. Thanks for your help and now with that info , I wolnt need to look for an 80e and I can save alot of money. Also, RandomHero, I could probably do this swap by myself with the help of a friend however, this is my DD and I want to make sure everything is done correctly and not worry about making any mistakes seeing as how this would be my first engine swap. I wouldnt go as far as saying I'm not capable of doing it or that I dont know what I'm doing, but I just want to be able to start it and for it to run properly.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
well you must be reading wrong or something bro, shit just have your stock trans built up and it will handle the power of a stock 6.0 every day of the week. You will be pushing a little more than 300 to the wheels if you have a tuned LQ4, if you cam it then your looking at 350-375 depending on your other bolt ons. Get your stock tranny built or get a 65e built. Install everything yourself and your looking at a total of around 4K or less depending on if and where you make good deals along the way

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
or shit if your just wanting a little more than cam your current truck, I am about to put 97k on the clock and I just did a cam swap. The truck runs great and my tranny is fine right now.

·
Registered
807 Posts
since its an ext cab(more weight) i would go with a 65e trans. only reason i wouldnt keep the stock trans/build the stock trans, is gmracer built his 60e when he put his 6.0 in and it has ate up like 4 pumps already in about 6 months. and its been in the shop a handful of times. the only reason i would say go to the 80e is if you planned on alot of power mods once the trans is in.

also, honestly to do a motor swap...alot of it is basic hand tools that you probly already have...wrenches, breaker bar, sockets, screw drivers, etc. and its not even that hard to do. im in the process of doing my 80e swap right now and all i have used is a breaker bar, some open ended wrenches, and a 50 peice 3/8 drive ratchet set. its all basic hand tools that i already have, and i havent had to buy any tools thus far!

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
since its an ext cab(more weight) i would go with a 65e trans. only reason i wouldnt keep the stock trans/build the stock trans, is gmracer built his 60e when he put his 6.0 in and it has ate up like 4 pumps already in about 6 months. and its been in the shop a handful of times. the only reason i would say go to the 80e is if you planned on alot of power mods once the trans is in.

also, honestly to do a motor swap...alot of it is basic hand tools that you probly already have...wrenches, breaker bar, sockets, screw drivers, etc. and its not even that hard to do. im in the process of doing my 80e swap right now and all i have used is a breaker bar, some open ended wrenches, and a 50 peice 3/8 drive ratchet set. its all basic hand tools that i already have, and i havent had to buy any tools thus far!
Dude you know that a 4l65e is a 4l60e with 5 pinion planetaries? Nothing more. Many would say that they aren't even worth the price for the upgrade.

I would just have your 4l60e build by someone who knows what they're doing.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Dude you know that a 4l65e is a 4l60e with 5 pinion planetaries? Nothing more. Many would say that they aren't even worth the price for the upgrade.

I would just have your 4l60e build by someone who knows what they're doing.

Well apparently the valve body is revised, extra 3-4 clutch, supposedly a beefier input section. BUT - when it's down to be built, all those "goodies" if you will, are made better via the aftermarket.

But the $$$$$$$ 60/65E just makes me jest. The parts to regut one and do some beefing are sub $1k. That's valve body kit, paper/rubber kit, frictions, band, bushings, sprag, etc, etc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts