GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok its been a long time comin but this summer I will most definetly be swapping in my two axles and chunking that shitty half ton IFS.

Little background:
Ive been runnin my mouth about this project forever and have turned it around avery bit of 5 times but with some college outta the way and my parents good graces (finally) this summer I will finally git-er-done. The truck looks like ass right now....while I was gone my dad took the liberty of ditching my 33's and put on some stock ass looking 265's. I couldnt believe that shit. So now I have to redeem my good look after this summer.

Axles:
-D60 HP Front w/ 5.13 gears
-14 Bolt rear w/ detriot locker and 5.13 gears and disc brakes

Two Kit possibilities:
Sky Manufacturing Front brackets or Maybe the ORU Premium Ride Kit
(I know its a big price difference but the 6" brackets from sky are killin me now)
-Shackle Flip in the rear
-52" front leaf springs
-39.5x18 boggers
-or-
-40x17 ground hawgs
-16.5x10 or 16.5x12 wheels (undecided)

Possible tranny swap because the stock 4l60e is still in there and its not lookin too good. Possible 80e swap.

This is my basic layout for the truck. I now have both axles fully ready to go. The front is a Ford 79 D60 which is completely rebuilt. The rear is a beefy, brand new, 14 bolt with disc conversion and detroit locker.

Now all I have to do is get ahold of the rest of my parts. This is where yall come in. Throw me the names of the best places for rims and tires and any info on maybe a used 4l80e if you know where one is. But im sure I can find one somewhere down here.

The majorit of my offroading will consist of mudholes and stuff of that nature, very little climbing and articulating. But i still like a smooth ride.
Any comments are Info will help alot because I am by no means an expert at this stuff.

Ill have pics of the axles after this weekend.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Use Dodge 52s, better axle placement.

As for wheels, get Stazworks to recenter you some 12-bolts, and throw in PVC runflats (or use the stock rubber run-flats). That will be the most cost effective option. With rocks not being a HUGE part of you plan, you MIGHT could get by with a lock-right up front. I wouldnt bother with full hydro for the same reason, however, hydro assist would be a worthy investment for you. Call yards around the San Antonio and Austin area for an 80e. They'll be less likely to have been affected by the hurricanes and there may be more of them around because of the local city fleets. If you're itching to spend big money, keep it local; 4wdfactory.com is a dealer for Stack 4x4 t-cases. He is literally less then a 2 hour drive from College Station. Hes also an Interco dealer if you go with Hawgs or Boggers.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet man. this is the kinda info im lookin for right here. thanks

so the dodge 52"s. What hiedght would i need to buy to get the desired amount of lift, what i mean is.....are they gonna have more or less left height than the other springs? get what im sayin?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
for some reason stazworks isnt cooperating right now but www.usa6x6.com has some badass setups for 16.5 too.

I never realized i could get that good of a price on hummer wheels, I jsut didnt see any runflats on ther page.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
for some reason stazworks isnt cooperating right now but www.usa6x6.com has some badass setups for 16.5 too.

I never realized i could get that good of a price on hummer wheels, I jsut didnt see any runflats on ther page.
If you order your shit from USA 6xSUX you would probably get them about the same time you finish up your SFA, and be lucky if they balanced.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol...yeah i read up on em. Screw that. Stazworks looks like my best option for time being.

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
my usa 6x6 centers came in 13 days after I ordered them:secret:

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
my usa 6x6 centers came in 13 days after I ordered them:secret:
dont put a strait edge across them, it'll make you sick to your stomach

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well every once and awhile i get lucky and find a way to save a bit of cash in one place so that i can spend more in other places.Found some rims.....16.5x12 eagle alloys for 300. close to home. Heres the thing....main reason that i wanted to go with the 16.5 double beadlocks is that i hear so much shit about 16.5's having inadequate ability to hold a good bead on tires and they pop loose sometimes. Anyone can support this...

oh yeah pics of axles comin shortly today...bout to go take the pics now.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok heres the axles. Ebay specials, all there and need only a few minor additions or subtractions on each plus a regear for both and thats about it.

DSC00395.gif

DSC00394.gif

DSC00396.gif

DSC00397.gif

DSC00398.gif

DSC00399.gif

DSC00400.gif

DSC00401.gif

DSC00402.gif

DSC00403.gif

and could anyone give me an approximation on beadlocks from stazworks. Their site has been a bitch for the past few weeks.

·
meow
15,747 Posts
how much did the axles run u? just curious if it was a retailer or private seller. Don't let them get dusty :crazy:

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Looks like a greae fitting on the 60 u-joints, might want to pull them and just throw in some 806x's and a 35 spline kit while your in there. Much more 40" friendly though you are going to be open up front so they could work.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts