GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea my friend has a 04 silverado Reg. cab with a 5.3. He has the Hypetech programer but he wants to try another brand like Nelson. But he needs some more info on them. Does anyone know a web site he can look at to find more info an does anyone know some prices that it will cost him? He's also looking ino getting a Whipple Super charger any one know some info on that to. He wants to get his truck to at least break into the 12's on the 1/4 mile. So if you know some other mods please let me know.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Guys, like always, thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it :cheers:

How serious does your friend want to get?

To get into the 12's, he's gonna have to have some deep pockets. The whipple alone won't cut it. It will make the truck very powerful and a blast to drive. Add a shot of nos to that, traction, and he may be there, but that is being optimistic.

Warranty is also a big factor. It's gonna be a lot easier if he doesn't care about it, lol. If not, get yourself an LS1 longblock and drop a second in the 1/4. That should bring you in the 14's. Some head and cam work along with traction and a stall will probably get you there.
It's really tuff to really guess, best thing is check out some of the fastest truck lists on ls1tech and see what you need.

good luck,

allen

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea my friend with the 04 silverado already has a programer, KN intake, throttle body spacer, headers an I think he has pullies an 3:73 gears, Im not exactly sure. An with just those mods. his truck is running high 13s an stuff like that.(So he says) So he was thinking by adding the Whipple an NOS he could pull 12s. What do yall think?

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
91_bowtie said:
He says wrong. :LOL:

VERY high 14's is more likely, and only in a reg cab short bed.
:word: id like to see him run 13s. it is possible with the right amount of $$$ though.:mexsmoke:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My know for sure that he could get his truck to run 13s with the Whipple an NOS. I have seen another 02 silverado(that was superchaged/NOS) race a Mustang GT an a camaro z28(i think) an he still beat both of them. An as far as I could see an hear the 02 silverado had the stock engine. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Z71bigchevy said:
My know for sure that he could get his truck to run 13s with the Whipple an NOS. I have seen another 02 silverado(that was superchaged/NOS) race a Mustang GT an a camaro z28(i think) an he still beat both of them. An as far as I could see an hear the 02 silverado had the stock engine. But I could be wrong.
:think: How long have you lived in the US?

First, you say the silverado was blown and squirting. Then, you say it was stock. I'm :confused:

·
Registered
254 Posts
In order for that truck to get into the 13's, it will have to have a big dose of NOS
or
an aggressive cam and tuning
or
stall, gears, tuning

but that is on a great running truck.

I guess it's possible he's in the 13's, but all it takes is a trip to the track to find out. If he is, and i'm not saying he's not, what kind of mods does he have?

thanks for the info,

allen

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
91Bowtie- What I was saying is I have seen another silverado(not my friends) at street races an he beat a 2002 GT an a camero z28. An the guy with the silverado said his engine was all stock except for the Whipple, NOS, Gears, Headers, Programmer, an maybe a few other little bolt-ons. So everyone thout he was runing low 13s or high 12s. But knowone knew for sure. The guy said he was waiting for the track to open back up so he could get his real time.

As for my friend he is basically just trying to copy that guys truck. By adding the same stuff an running his same set up.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Z71bigchevy said:
91Bowtie- What I was saying is I have seen another silverado(not my friends) at street races an he beat a 2002 GT an a camero z28. An the guy with the silverado said his engine was all stock except for the Whipple, NOS, Gears, Headers, Programmer, an maybe a few other little bolt-ons. So everyone thout he was runing low 13s or high 12s. But knowone knew for sure. The guy said he was waiting for the track to open back up so he could get his real time.

As for my friend he is basically just trying to copy that guys truck. By adding the same stuff an running his same set up.

What body configuration is this going in? If its a reg cab with a short bed, then depending on how much he's juicing, he should be in the high 11's with a stall. I hope he's planning on building the rear end and tranny for all that power. I doubt they'd last 3 passes. :burnout:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What body configuration is this going in? If its a reg cab with a short bed, then depending on how much he's juicing, he should be in the high 11's with a stall. I hope he's planning on building the rear end and tranny for all that power. I doubt they'd last 3 passes.
Yes both of the silverados im talking about are Reg. cab short beds. I am not sure if the other guy has a stall or not? But my friend has installed a diffrent locker an I think 3:73 or 4:10 gears im not sure? But what else will he(my friend) need to do to help the rear end an tranny? I know he is going to get a 4 link or something simular to help him hookup. Plus how much would he be looking to pay for a new stall?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Z71bigchevy said:
Yes both of the silverados im talking about are Reg. cab short beds. I am not sure if the other guy has a stall or not? But my friend has installed a diffrent locker an I think 3:73 or 4:10 gears im not sure? But what else will he(my friend) need to do to help the rear end an tranny? I know he is going to get a 4 link or something simular to help him hookup. Plus how much would he be looking to pay for a new stall?

If he replaced the factory locker, then that should buy him some time, but I wouldn't expect the 10 bolt to hold up to that much power for very long. As far as the tranny goes, I'd go with the TransGo kit and billet servo for now, and plan on a full rebuild for the future. He should expect to pay around $500 for a stall convertor.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Z71bigchevy said:
91 Bowtie What kind of power is that truck of your puting out. Any 1/4 mile times?

Stock was 210hp and 300lb-ft of torque. I have slightly improved on those numbers. :grin:

I never ran the truck with the new motor, and I doubt that I ever will. I didn't want to waste the cash tuning something that I knew I wasn't going to keep. Alot of the bolt-ons have already been removed, and installed on a friend's truck. :superhack

1 - 19 of 19 Posts