GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm having bad luck with rear axles. I had the 14 bolt that came stock in the truck and bent it, which caused carrier bearings to wear rappidly. So I put in another 14 bolt and proceeded to kill drivers side wheel bearings causing the spindle to eat itself. So I put the bent one back in to get me running again, been exploring axle options ever since.

So, I figured why be like everyone else and just build another 14 bolt? I try to make my truck the least cooky cutter I can and not do what everyone else is doing with their mid 90's chevy truck.

So I walked to the garage and started surveying the protential axle choices I had laying around. In one corner is the toasted spindle 14 bolt, but the center section is good. In the other corner is a complete GM dana 60 front. So the lightbulb pops on and hey, my trucks kinda long, it could benefit from rear steer right?

So this afternoon I cut the tubes out of the 14 bolt and got the center section ready. Going to go tomorrow and buy some new 3.5" .5" wall DOM for axle tubes and start assembling. I should have the basic axle done by next week but it will be a while before I can afford shafts and steering.

Going to design my own steering system for it that uses a series of linear hall effect sensors to determine position of the rear steering cylinder which will correspond to an LCD display in the dash so I know where the tires are pointed at all times. A small joystick will control direction and a push button will return the tires to center. Will be controlled by a PLC. Damn this college stuff is payin off eh?

Anywho, as soon as I get a new digicam which should be soon I'll start updating this thread with pics and tech, should be an interesting build.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
very very nice jason. Looks like we are both diving in head first into projects!

What ram are you going to use? What pump? What size shafts? You milling them yourself out of 4340? CTM joints or Spipcer? The d60 outers?

ok ill ask teh rest later after you chew on these for a while

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Sounds like a plan.
I firgured you would have that Dodge pushing about 800lbs and over 600 ponies, before you did anything else.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ram: 2.25" Bore 1.5" Shaft 8" Stroke Double Ended - Same ram used in the front of my truck.

Pump: 3.5 GPM 12VDC Electric PowerPak with onboard solenoids.

Shafts: 1.5" 35 Spline from Yukon to start with. I'm buying the blank inners and cutting them to length and milling the splines myself since I have to go into a 1.5" 30 spline 14 bolt instead of an 1.5" 35 spline dana 60. Once it's up and running and I can save up some money I'm going with 40 spline Superiors and I'm going to broach the detroits side gears from 30 spline to 40 spline, but thats $2200 a way right now :bawl:

Joints: Spicer since the CTM's wear very quickly when used at high speed. They won't last more than a month or two in the rear.

Outers will be the GM Dana 60 stuff with my own drive flanges. Going to take spicer slugs and broach them to 35 spline and mill my own aluminum caps.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Ive heard the CTMs wear very well? They claim on their site they wear normal.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dark Eternal said:
Ive heard the CTMs wear very well? They claim on their site they wear normal.
I've seen numerous ones on pirate that have been toast after as little as 5k miles when used in the front with drive flanges... Most of the guys are pulling their flanges and duct taping the hole to drive to the trail then putting their flanges back in when they get there.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
willyswanter said:
Not till the waranty is up :D
Good idea. The only thing that my truck is getting right now performance wise is exhaust. Then maybe an Edge Attitude in about 3 months. :head:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Todd said:
Good idea. The only thing that my truck is getting right now performance wise is exhaust. Then maybe an Edge Attitude in about 3 months. :head:
The Cummins computer records over boost and over fueling and stores it. First thing the dealer checks when you bring it in for engine problems are those codes. Then it's bend over and lube up cause heres your bill time...

Basically I'm just going to put about 5k miles on it and see how it does and make sure there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, or something the previous owner didn't let me know, and if all is well I'm going to start bombing. Starting with gauges then an ATS 4" exhaust and header, then a TST PMCR with a Bomber Turbo. But the wheeling rig gets money before the tow rig, wheeling is more fun that towing :D

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Sweeet, I like that idea. I was under one just like yours today...crew cab, 1 ton, long bed...good god that thing is long...it barely fits on the lift. :crazy:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I loveeeeee it! I would have gotten lazy, and just put the GM d60 out back and had the driveshaft crooked though. But I also never drive it on the street... ever...

But anyway... do you plan on putting some type of pin in the rear, so that it doesn't walk on you drivin down the road?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aquaman said:
I loveeeeee it! I would have gotten lazy, and just put the GM d60 out back and had the driveshaft crooked though. But I also never drive it on the street... ever...

But anyway... do you plan on putting some type of pin in the rear, so that it doesn't walk on you drivin down the road?
Yup, my sensing ram that I'm building for the rear steer positioning will have a mechanical lock in center, may even make it automatic... But thats just one more thing to go wrong.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
KoTToN said:
your a sick bastard you know that right?

:LOL:

Thats AWESOME Jason! You are my new Hero. lol

I wish I had the ability to take on projects like you do and the knowledge to do all the work myself. :bawl:

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Wow...the most badass, most capable truck on this site is becomming even more badass and more capable...i think the others have summed it up, you are a VERY SICK BASTARD :rocking: :rocking:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
willyswanter said:
The Cummins computer records over boost and over fueling and stores it. First thing the dealer checks when you bring it in for engine problems are those codes. Then it's bend over and lube up cause heres your bill time...
Yeah the 6oh records some shit too not sure what all though. But some guys on the Ford site say that the Preditor completly clears itself out of the puter when you unstall it. The dealers have no idea. But the have a different plan than me. I just want a lot of power without trying to tear anything up. Speed doesn't impress me as much as power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jason,

I'd seen some of your pics on Ck5, then last night I stumbled onto here and your write up on the 4 link rear. And now this. You know your stuff and it shows. :worship: Like many of the others on here have stated... you are one sick puppy. Keep up the mind bogiling ideas :think: .

Kirk

·
Cross Into the Blue
356 Posts
geez what degree(s) did you gradeuate with form college? electrical engineering, mechanical engineerin, and industrial engineering lol?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts