GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't no if I'm in the right place but I had purchased an 86 gmc c1500 I wasn't getting gas to carb so I replace the fuel pump I am still not getting gas I've dropped the tank and looked but haven't found the issue but I do have a question there is a little like vent hole where it looks like maybe it was suppose to be sealed all the way around where you would take the sending unit out would that cause me to not have pressure would that be my problem I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.Also would I be an idiot to pit one those micropumps on the 86 gmc I can put gas in a pop bottle run it THRUE the fuel pump but will only start if I squeeze the bottle to pressure it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You dropped the tank, so what does it look like inside? Much rust/debris in it?

Is there an in-line fuel filter? If there is, you might consider checking and/or replacing it.

If the tank doesn't have a vent, that will prevent the engine from getting gas after some period of time (once the fuel pump can't overcome the vacuum in the tank). It won't happen immediately, but over some period of time while the engine is running, and you would hear the air rushing in when you remove the filler cap.

Perhaps check each section of fuel line, that you can, ,say, blow through it relatively easily (when the other end is disconnected). It could be a line is blocked, or if it's a rubber hose, the hose has failed internally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Davestar thank you for responding ,the tank shade a little bit of debris perhaps it may have or did look like the rubbery stuff that was on the unit lock ring but other than that wiped it clean put sending unit back in and same thing no gas to carb so after that I pulled the line from fuel pump the intake side to see if it would draw it up out of a empty Pepsi bottle on this it didn't suck it up but then I put a hole in the cap enough to tighten it a little around the hose and it would only work when I squeezed the bottle to pressure it myself would you recommend me to use the micro pump I purchased or take it back go different route I'm bout pulling my hair out never been in this particular situation.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If the pump you have can't draw fuel from a bottle, then the pump has failed/was bad/not getting power or ground/installed backwards.

I would start with getting the pump working from the bottle, then move to getting it to draw fuel from the fuel tank, then move to checking it's getting to the carb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts