GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Ride :) (picture has been added)

Just wanted to let every know that I got me a new ride and I am FINALLY back in the Chevy family. I went and got a 2004 Burgundy Tahoe LT last night after selling my Superduty...So far I am more than pleased with it and I love it. Just wanted to let you guys know and I will be posting pics and such in the next day or two.

Also...when driving sometimes I can feel what seems like a bump in the steering wheel...like something in the column isn't perfectly tight...any idea what this could be?

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
that is what it seems like anthony...any idea what that costs to fix?
I think the shaft is around $65 or they can grease is if I'm not mistaken....how many miles on the Tahoe? I think it was a recall, they might fix it for free for the first time :shrug: Otherwise its not too expensive of a repair :D

9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the shaft is around $65 or they can grease is if I'm not mistaken....how many miles on the Tahoe? I think it was a recall, they might fix it for free for the first time :shrug: Otherwise its not too expensive of a repair :D
The Tahoe has 131K miles on it...so I don't know if the dealership will fix it or not...I will try to see if there is a recall tho and try...$65 ain't nothing tho so that doesn't bother me.

EDITED: No recall was found for that part...no biggie tho...so what is the part actually called (steering shaft upper intermediate?)and how hard is it to change?

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
Holy shit Brian, I dont know anyone who changes vehicles as often as you. :roflmao:

With the steering shaft before you buy one just go under the hood and midway between the firewall and steering box there is a u strap with a nut on it, take the bolt out of there. Then just push the shaft up into the firewall and back out a few times, then bolt it back together.

9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Holy shit Brian, I dont know anyone who changes vehicles as often as you. :roflmao:
I hear ya on that one man...I am done with the trading...I wanted a Tahoe all along and traded up and up until I got it...I'm stoked about it to be honest and love the thing

With the steering shaft before you buy one just go under the hood and midway between the firewall and steering box there is a u strap with a nut on it, take the bolt out of there. Then just push the shaft up into the firewall and back out a few times, then bolt it back together.
thanks a ton man. i will definitely do this...I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a safety thing that I had to get fixed immediately ya know?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
My 06 z71 tahoe does the same thing. If you turn it in one direction(cant remember which) then turn it back sorta quick it has a little clunk/knock. All the linkage is fine and it turns and tracks fine so Im guessin it's just one of those little things ya know...

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
The Tahoe has 131K miles on it...so I don't know if the dealership will fix it or not...I will try to see if there is a recall tho and try...$65 ain't nothing tho so that doesn't bother me.

EDITED: No recall was found for that part...no biggie tho...so what is the part actually called (steering shaft upper intermediate?)and how hard is it to change?
not hard, 30 mins tops, you need to tie up the steering wheel to something like the gearshift so that when you unbolt the shaft, it doesnt spin its self around.

basically... tie up the steering wheel, unbolt the shaft end inside under the dash, then the one under the hood and pull it out from under the dash and reverse process for installing. the 05 crew and current tahoe i used the "improved version" shaft and the clunk hasnt come back.

9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First mods are ordered:
Paintable grill shell
Billet Bowtie
Billet Grille

that should really make it stand out from the crowd (or at least I hope)

Trying to figure out if I need cleared headlights and corners or not :hmm:

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
Just get the corners, headlights dont have reflectors in them like the yukons unless you just want the aftermarket projectors or something.

see if you can find a set of xenarc hid housings :D

9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just get the corners, headlights dont have reflectors in them like the yukons unless you just want the aftermarket projectors or something.

see if you can find a set of xenarc hid housings :D
I don't think I will spend the coin on the HID Housings just yet :)

How will it look with the normal headlights and the clear DIAMOND corners?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Nice to see you back in a GM Brian, its about time :head:

9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you made a thread without pictures. you fail.
O I hear ya on that one...I guess I was just so excited and wanted to let everyone know what was going on...I will go out there and snap a few with my celly in a minute and upload them

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
not hard, 30 mins tops, you need to tie up the steering wheel to something like the gearshift so that when you unbolt the shaft, it doesnt spin its self around.

basically... tie up the steering wheel, unbolt the shaft end inside under the dash, then the one under the hood and pull it out from under the dash and reverse process for installing. the 05 crew and current tahoe i used the "improved version" shaft and the clunk hasnt come back.
:bowtie:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts