GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ole' Nelly Belle is gone. I got $10,390.00 for her as she sat with all mods.

The new ride, is an 04 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4.
6.0 V-8
4L80-E Automatic Transmission
4.10 Gears
14-Bolt Rear Axle (9.5")
G80 Locker
Steering Wheel Controls
Extendable Mirrors with Blinker and Defrost
Bose Stereo w/Subwoofer
Bucket seats
Charcoal Interior
Metallic Gray Paint
Yada yada
MSRP was $39.420.67
Sold at $32,303.45
Loan for ~$24,000.00
0% Interest for 60 months.

I am as happy as a dog with 2 peters!!! I absolutely love this truck.

My FIRST impression was, "Wow, this auto tranny sure has CLOSE ratio's, nothing like the W I D E ratios in the half ton truck."

My second impression was, "The turning radius sure has increased, maybe I should have purchased 4-wheel steering".

My third impression was, "I can't believe the SMOOTH ride, this can't be a 3/4 Ton Heavy Duty truck with a 9200 pound towing ability"

Monday I plan to negogitate sticking on some 305/70r16 or 295/75r16 BFG AT KO Tires and HOPEFULLY Wkdspd will have mercy on me and hook me up on a sweet deal for an SPE ProFlash.

·
2,451 Posts
Sweet ride :worship: :worship: .... but you diffinatly need to go tall with this one :read:

I thought 6.0 HD's came with 10.5s and 8.1 and dmax came with 11.5:think:

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Nice :head:

I was wondering if you were gona post some pics.

Hate to see the old truck go, but cant wait to see the mods begin on this one :rocking: :rocking:

Congrats

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Very nice ride man! :head: I have a friend who has an 03 HD just like that! What's your plans for this one?!

·
2,451 Posts
Sevenfold said:
Very nice. Any plans to lift? :rocking:
He wants to go tall enough to fit a 35x14.5 All Terrain..... but i say he should go taller :crazy:

Did you end up getting that tuner for the cheaper price.... cause you could get a nelson tune.

·
NOT A SHOW TRUCK!!
372 Posts
sweet truck man I love the NBS crewcabs my next truck will probably be a 2500hd duramax :head: :head:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far I am still loving this new truck.

I have discovered after about a week of driving that I can average 17 MPG at 65 MPH and 15 MPG at 80 MPH. The range between 42-58 MPH gives me 18 MPG. Less than 45 MPH and more than 80 MPH I really start wasting fuel to the tune of 11.5 MPG. These figures were pulled with AutoTap for a week and averaged in Excel.

According to the figures in Excel, the engines highest efficiency was achieved between 1650-1900 RPM. However 1950-2400 RPM showed me a loss of about 1.5 MPG, which still ain't bad.

My average combined between city and hwy driving over 1000 miles was 14.1 MPG. I have probably floored it 10-15 times over the 1000 miles.

I calculated if I had purchased the 3.73 gears I would add approximately 5 MPH to every figure. So I assume with 3.73's if I drove less than ~50 MPH or more than 85 MPH I would get around 11.5 MPG.

Needless to say I am pleased with my decision to buy a 2500HD Crew Cab with 4.10 gears. Gobs of low end torque and power everytime you need it. I assume with the weight of the truck, the lower gears help me accelerate using less fuel. My dealer thought I was crazy to buy a truck in this configuration, but he put about 500 miles on the truck delivering it to me and stated he received better fuel mileage than the Tahoe Z71 he dealer swapped for my truck.

Tommorrow she goes in for a painted to match spary in liner and next week the Invinca-Sheild goes on to protect the paint from Louisiana Bugs.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 2500HD Crew Cab short bed is long and I can really tell in the turning radius. If I had an extra $2000 to put down I would have purchased the 4 wheel steering option. I assume going from a Extra Cab to a Crew Cab would be close in turning radius difference form a single cab to an extra cab.

Of course, I was LEARY of the 4L80-E transmission. The 4L60-E in the half ton has a REALLY LOW 1st gear and a high Overdrive. The 4L80-E lacks that ratio and lacks the "Hole Shot". A Double overdrive or an OD ratio like the 4L60-E would also have been nice.

Now that I have had it for a week I gotta say I love to close ratios in the 4L80-E. My 1500 with the 4L60-E would almost bog the engine when shifting from 1st to 2nd. To ratios were just too W I D E. Going from a 3.06 to a 1.63 is just too much. I didn't realize how much I hated it. The 4L80-E seems so much smoother and the engine feels nice and strong when shifting into 2nd. OD still needs to be a tad higher though. The 4L80-E keeps power delivery strong and smooth. Drive a 2500 for a few days and you will see.

IMO, GM needs to consider some new light and medium duty transmissions. A 4L80-E transmission with a Double Overdrive (still a 3 speed, but with 2 OD's) for the 2500 or bigger trucks. For the 1500's I would add a new 2nd gear of around 2.40:1 and move the current second gear to 3rd and the 3rd to fourth and keep the old OD (a 4 speed tranny with the old OD). This would smooth it out ALOT, keep up HP all while maintaing that wonderful .69 OD Ratio.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts