GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased this with 65,000 miles from michigan, and took it to the body shop for new rockers, cab corners, and inner rockers. Here's an in-progress update on what they're doing!

Resized_20190820_162209 2.jpeg

·
Registered
895 Posts
Damn. That's a lot of cutting. You couldn't go a few hundred miles south and get one that was relatively rust free?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn. That's a lot of cutting. You couldn't go a few hundred miles south and get one that was relatively rust free?
This was the right truck at the right price. Negotiated $5k off of what they were asking, and it had the exact options I wanted with low miles. It would probably end up being the same price as a newer body style after this bodywork, but this is what I wanted.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Why didn’t they remove the fenders instead of twisting them like that. Seems very lazy to me and more risk of damaging parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've always wondered if people do this... I feel like most body shops would just laugh. Mine are rusting out on my Tahoe, I'd love to fix them but not sure about the best approach yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why didn’t they remove the fenders instead of twisting them like that. Seems very lazy to me and more risk of damaging parts.
It's to allow for quick test fitting and it's easier. Nothing was damaged. Less labor cost I guess lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've always wondered if people do this... I feel like most body shops would just laugh. Mine are rusting out on my Tahoe, I'd love to fix them but not sure about the best approach yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
You'd be surprised! IMO it's worth it at 65,000 miles...maybe not at 200,000 miles where most start to rust out. The new rockers that they put on are aftermarket and fix the design flaws in the OEM rockers. He's never had a customer come back with rusty rockers after the new ones he puts on. They're made of thicker steel as well and are installed better than factory.
As you can see, water got in the inner rockers as well due to a leak near the windshield, and it was moist when they took off the outers, so they fixed all that as well.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,836 Posts
Low miles don't make the truck any younger. Nor does a lack of preventive maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
5,273 Posts
Based on how the outside of that truck looks. Probably some old guy owned it and drove his wife to church and bingo and polished the outside. But neglected getting under it and doing any real cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
Where are you at in Michigan?
I'm in the northern part, Traverse City area.

What quarters and rockers are you using and who is doing the work.

I have the same issue and was on the fence bit I think I'd rather sink the money then have a truck payment.

I need hood, rockers and quarters, I also want to replace the bed.

Ken

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's an update. Very disappointed with the rear door paint not matching up. All the light paint is new paint, the dark door is the original paint on the truck. I'm going to work something out with the paint shop to get it fixed.

Resized_20190905_165304.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where are you at in Michigan?
I'm in the northern part, Traverse City area.

What quarters and rockers are you using and who is doing the work.

I have the same issue and was on the fence bit I think I'd rather sink the money then have a truck payment.

I need hood, rockers and quarters, I also want to replace the bed.

Ken
Actually in Iowa. They're using an upgraded version of the rockers that they've never had come back rusty, fixing OEM issues with salt water hanging out and rusting it. Smith Auto Body and Collision in Ankeny, IA is doing the work.

·
Administrator
3,275 Posts
Wow!!! tons of work right there and I'm with you on the now mismatched door panel. I'm surprised they had you come pick it up like that! Last winter I had a body shop fix some minor rust on my 07 burb. When they first shot it the color wasn't right and told me as much and asked for an extra couple of days to make it right. I happily obliged and glad they didn't just try and pass it off. With today's technology there's not excuse for that kind of thing in a professional shop.

·
Administrator
3,275 Posts
Actually in Iowa. They're using an upgraded version of the rockers that they've never had come back rusty, fixing OEM issues with salt water hanging out and rusting it. Smith Auto Body and Collision in Ankeny, IA is doing the work.
were they receptive to your request for fixing the paint issue?

·
Registered
693 Posts
That sucks. Hopefully they get it resolved

I'm actually really interested to see what you do with this truck once its all finished...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Is there a brand name for the parts used?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update, got the rear doors color matched. Everything matches except for the box now, but at least it's all rust free.

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is there a brand name for the parts used?
No, I'm not sure. They haven't had a single truck come back with rust on rockers after the upgraded ones were installed. I'll try to find what they used.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts