GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
T Nigs
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a rockford fostgate p3 12" and i installed it today. Its running off a 1200 watt mono Ma Audio amp. my question is, i followed the wiring diagram and right now its wired for 1 ohm. my other option is 4 ohm, would you reccomend this? my amp is rated for 1200 watts at 1 ohm, but i wanted to make sure im playing it safe so that i dont blow the sub, or the amp. right now it sounds really good, and hits super hard, but i want to make sure its not going to blow.

·
T Nigs
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The box reads...

12" punch Stage 3
Dual 2 ohm or Dual 4 ohm Subwoofer
500 Watts RMS/1000 watts peak

thats the importnat stuff at least.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
so your amp's rms power is overpowering your subs peak handling? not good IMO.
get another sub and runt hem both off that amp. or wire it for 4ohm.

·
Registered
907 Posts
you dont really wanna give it any more than 500 watts dude. what does the power ratings on your amp say for 2 and 4 ohm wiring?

·
T Nigs
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 X 500W RMS @ 4-ohm Mono
1 X 600W RMS @ 2-ohm mono
1 X 1200W RMS @ 1-ohm Mono

thats the Amp ratings. and since im not going with 2 12's, what would you suggest? To get the 600W 2ohm power from the amp, how would i need to wire the sub, 4 ohm?

·
Registered
907 Posts
ya, just properly tune the gain once and it should sound perfect wired like that

·
Registered
711 Posts
you have any pics of the setup? how well does the p3 fit behind the seats?

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
those amps are really under rated! The P2s say they do 200 rms and 400 peak and Ive sent them 500 rms and 1000 peak without issue. Keep it the way it is as long as the amps stable, doesnt overheat, and it sounds good, you shouldnt have issues

·
T Nigs
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you have any pics of the setup? how well does the p3 fit behind the seats?
i have it in a console i built, ill get some pics today.

those amps are really under rated! The P2s say they do 200 rms and 400 peak and Ive sent them 500 rms and 1000 peak without issue. Keep it the way it is as long as the amps stable, doesnt overheat, and it sounds good, you shouldnt have issues

you meant sub right?

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Right, Sub

·
Registered
163 Posts
just keep the gains down and it should be fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts