GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked 40 billion times, but I don't care.

I'm selling my 2 10's and the downfire box they are in to my friend and want to get a single 12 to replace it so I don't have to remove the jack box and all that crap again.

Anyway, what is a good, clean sounding 12 that I can use in place of the 2 10's? My amp has plentyyyyyyyy of power for just about anything. I'm not wanting to go competition with it, but would like it to hit kinda hard, but clean. I'm replacing all mids/highs and amping them as well this time . I've already found a box at subthump for a single 12 downfire. Now to just find a good sub.

As for the mid's/highs, any suggestions there? I have all factory now for the exception of a head unit. I have the new bluetooth Sony HU. Speakers are all factory and I want to replace them and run them off a 4channel.

Any suggestions for sub, mids, and highs setup? Mainly sub?

9,778 Posts
I would personally not worry about the speakers in the rear. I would spend that money on a nice set of front components and run a 2 channel amp with plenty of juice to those speakers. I have had JL Audio XR's and Crystal SSCS's and I would take the Crystals over them anyday of the week and they are only like 125-150 a set. They are an awesome set of speakers and are definitely the best bang for the buck I have found.

On the sub what are the specs on the box, what power are you feeding it, and what type music do you listen to?

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its just a single downfire box for a 12, the power would be about uh...I'm estimating at 2 ohms about 600 rms, maybe more I don't have the spec sheet for my amp handy and I listen to EVERYTHING from gospel to rap to metal to country..etc.

Edit: Amp puts out 900 RMS @ 2 ohm and is 1 ohm stable.

9,778 Posts
personally I love how JL Audio w3v3's sound. I know you can get "better" for your money, but I just love how those subs sound. You could also get an Alpine Type R, Kicker CX (whatever the new round solo's are)

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want that boomy highschool sounding shit. Kinda want to keep it clean sounding. I know JL makes some dang good stuff, but never personally owned any. What about Diamond Audio? I had looked at them before I bought my last subs.

9,778 Posts
Diamond Audio makes some great subs. I know Demon had the 6's and loved them. I don't like boomy bass either man so we are along the same lines. I think Diamond, Type R, W3, or Infinity Perfect would do the trick for you.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome. Thanks man! Now you say Crystal's for the mids.highs and don't worry about the rear? I'd like to replace them too, but not a necessity

9,778 Posts
Awesome. Thanks man! Now you say Crystal's for the mids.highs and don't worry about the rear? I'd like to replace them too, but not a necessity
I have NEVER replaced the back speakers and normally just cut them off...I like all my sound from the FRONT stage and i think it makes a much better sound to it. I'd try it with just front components to be honest.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ill try it. I just don't want the ppl in the back seat to be bitching ..like I have passengers every day :LOL:

Okay. The Crystal SSCS's right? what RMS amp they need?

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking at a Diamond Audio D612D4 for a sub.. no good?

9,778 Posts
I like that sub and yes those are the components. 95stroked1500 is the guy to order them from...i know he is a member on FSC but i thik he is on here too.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
turn your bass down while they're in the car
Not b/c of the bass, bc of no mids/highs. Hell, who cares about them anyhow.

I still might buy some crystal 2ways though.

9,778 Posts
Not b/c of the bass, bc of no mids/highs. Hell, who cares about them anyhow.

I still might buy some crystal 2ways though.
Let me put it this way man...I didn't even have rear speakers in my Tahoe. I had 2 sets of components in the front (stock locations and Kick panels) with 2 15's ported and prolly 2000+ watts on the subs. I never had one person say they couldn't hear my highs perfectly fine from the back.

·
TEAM WHITE!!!
159 Posts
what are you talking about no good i have a set of d6 components on a d6 300.4 with 4 d612d4s and 2 d61500.1s and it sounds amazing this is the first time ive used diamond but i am more than satisfied with their product

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what are you talking about no good i have a set of d6 components on a d6 300.4 with 4 d612d4s and 2 d61500.1s and it sounds amazing this is the first time ive used diamond but i am more than satisfied with their product
I didn't know if I was looking at a good sub or not they have like 30 different kinds and some have the same specs.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another ?.

I have an extra battery tray where the little storage compartment under the hood is supposed to be. I want to add another battery. Mainly to help out with the stereo. Is there anythng special I should know before doing this? Like how do I need to hook up all the hot/ground wires so it wont turn into a 24 vold system? This battery will be the one the main power for both amps hooks directly to.

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
Look into getting a battery isolator kit. If you connect the positives together and the negatives together you will get 12v (parrallel), But the amperages add. This would mean your starter would now see upwards of at least 1500 amps when you turn the key. Might be hard on the starter, but damn would it spin fast.

Now, and isolator kit will charge both battery's all the time, but allow you to select which battery is being used by flipping a switch. So if you run the secondary battery dead using the stereo, simply turn the key and it starts off the primary battery. If for some reason your primary battery goes dead, just flip the switch to the secondary and it'll start your truck.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/productreviews/12voltguy/

www.12voltguy.com

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool Thats kinda what I was looking for. I didn't know so much was involved in having 2 batteries. Both of those sites say to run accessories off the main battery. Would it make a difference if I didn't?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts