GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined this group to get a little help. I am on the downhill cycle of a complete OEM restoration on a 1997 GMC K1500 truck. I have a few questions about upgrading the fuel system for my Whipple supercharger and also am in search for a good-looking set of 60/40 grey seats with power driver option.

March will be the year mark of this rebuild. I own and operate a full machine shop/race engine facility in Houston Texas. We decided to go back with the factory Vortec engine but of course built it up with forged internals, 355 cubic inches, dart heads and upgraded to PCM For Less' 36 lb/hr upgraded spider injection system. The truck cab and bed were transplanted onto a 1996 K1500 Tahoe Chassis since my truck was originally a V6 2-wheel drive beater shop truck. This truck will now 100% be my daily driver. The truck is running and is 90% complete. We are still working on a few small details with wiring, interior, lights and modifying the bed for final fitment. We did keep the 30-gallon fuel tank from the Tahoe so I could have the extra capacity. God knows I'll need it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm curious about the frame swap, why a Tahoe frame? Was it just what was available?
For the most part it was readily available. We found a good shape Tahoe that already had 4x4 with the 5.7L engine and did some research to confirm the wheel base was the same. We knew it would take a little work to mount the bed but the cab mounts directly on. The Tahoe I bought was very affordable at $1500 and it even had a whipple supercharger on it. When rebuilding the whipple ourselves we even found out it was the later version that can spin higher rpm’s and it looked near brand new.
My goal was to build a clean Z71 pickup that looked like it came off the showroom floor back in 1997. Finding a decent Z71 out there for a build truck was near impossible that wasn’t torn up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts