GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Y'all,
I'm new to this site, but an old hand at 73-87, 88-91 GM trucks. I've owned more of them then I can remember.
My current project is a 1988 Chevy Crew Cab Dually C-30 that I've been tinkering with for a few years.
So far I've done DJM upper and lower control arms, DJM rear spring hangers, 89-91 front clip, B&W turn over ball gooseneck, 10K receiver hitch with 7 pin trailer connector, trailer special rear bumper, 454 stroked to a 496, RV cam, ported and polished heads w/ 2.19-1.88 S/S valves, coated headers, billet distributor, SBC serpentine belt drive conversion,Turbo 400, rear view camera, full LED conversion.
I'm currently working on taking the Edelbrock MPFI off and installing a Marine MPFI system from a Mercruiser 454.

Future plans call for a Cowl hood and a set of 22" Alcoa's

I do have a question?
After installing the DJM control arms, I can't get the alignment set, I've put all the shim in I could fit and I'm still -2 degrees out. I've rechecked the lowers for proper seating in the frame and they are located on the pins properly. Is this common?

·
Registered
306 Posts
First off :welcome: Secondly get some pictures of that beast up on here asap! As far as the DJM arms are concerned, I have read that sometimes it is nearly impossible to get the negative camber all the way out, as this is a problem for almost any type of lowered set up. Some other guys on here that have more experiance will chime in soon and help ya out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome. Do you own any 442's?
I've owned an 1985 and 1987 442 ( some say they don't count but.....)
I currently own a 1983 Hurst/Olds and a 1984 Hurst/Olds along with my 2006 GTO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off :welcome: Secondly get some pictures of that beast up on here asap! As far as the DJM arms are concerned, I have read that sometimes it is nearly impossible to get the negative camber all the way out, as this is a problem for almost any type of lowered set up. Some other guys on here that have more experiance will chime in soon and help ya out.
Thanks..... The only pic I have at the moment is the truck setting in the garage and it's not a very good shot. As soon as I get this MPFI figured out and running, I'll pull it out for a decent picture.

As for the DJM, I only went with the 3" drop A-arm, keeping the original springs. I really thought that would keep it alignable??

A friend of mine has an 1986 C/C Dually GMC 4X4 454/400 that is in pretty nice shape. I'm hoping to pick it up from him soon as he wants to sell it, but " keep it in the family ". It's all stock except a 90 gallon aux fuel tank in the bed, 89-91 front end and power mirrors with a " 80's Western Hauler " style custom paint/stripe.
It's just begging for a 6" lift and some 35's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts