GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just found out about this group ... I've read through some posts and see ya'll have some mighty fine rides.

I have a 2000 Silverado with a 4/5 drop right now .. I've had some alignment problems so I just ordered Air Ride for my front (for now), upper and lower control arms and cool ride kit.

I'm running stock tires and wheels right now, but about to buy some new ones .. I'm wondering what those of you who are seriously slammed are running. I am looking a 20x8.5 wheels with 255/45-20 Toyo Proxies .. the shop said I could run 275/45-20s but Air Ride suggested that the 255s would be a better fit ... any thoughts? Thanks.

Bill
http://www.cardomain.com/id/bcubed

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have 245/40's, my rear tires didn't rub, but my front ones did so I cut out my inner fenders. You won't have to worry about cutting or rubbing if you don't plan on dragging, if you want to drag and you don't want to cut then I think the 255/35's will work fine. You'd have to do alot of work to lay and have those tires fit. Some people don't know anything about low pros, one wheel company told my friend that a low pro such as a 255/35/20 won't work for daily use cause it can "pop" off easy.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, have most of ya'll replaced the stock transmission crossmember? I saw a few replacements for sale and thought that might be something I want to look into soon.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really? Well I have a 2000 and my brother a 2001 and the crossmembers both hang lower than the rest of the frame ... his has some additional bars at the A-arms that I don't have but the rest of it is pretty much the same. You can see my crossmember hanging in this picture directly under the 1500 logo, it's easy to see since my truck is still so high! LOL

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
My 2000 model has the flush transmission crossmember while my friends 2000 has the one that hangs low, i believe the "early 2000's" had the flush one.

As for tires, what type of wheels are you planning on going with? If you go with a typical mass produced wheel you will have to run low-pros for them to "tuck" and possible roll your fenders as well. I am running 245/40/20 on a 20x8" wheel with 5" of backspacing. if i had an extra inch of backspacing (5.5" on the 8" wheel, or 6" on an 8.5" wide wheel) i could have gotten away with the 275/45/20. But since you are going bagged you might as well get low pros so you can lay out without hitting the inner fenders in the front. 255/35/20, 245/40/20, and 275/35/20 are all good choices :) 245/40/20 up front and 275/35/20 out back would be an optimal setup in my opinion :)

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went looking at tires this afternoon, the 275/40-20 that the guy wanted me to buy was as tall as my stock tire and wider .. so not an option at all you guys were definately right. Air Ride recommended a 255 but a 255/40-20 it seems is an odd size not many people make (Toyo seems too though), but the 245/40-20 I've had several people recommend seems about perfect. I'd love to get wider in the rear, but this is my daily driver so being able to rotate tires is a plus.

I was always worried that even baggin my truck that in the front with 20s the tire would hit the fenderwell before laying out, but am I hearing right that with a 245/40-20 I should be fine?

Anyone know of any good websites to buy tire/wheel combos? I was looking at www.wheelmax.com ..they had quite a few nice wheels, but not sure about the tires.Thanks.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
bcubed said:
I went looking at tires this afternoon, the 275/40-20 that the guy wanted me to buy was as tall as my stock tire and wider .. so not an option at all you guys were definately right. Air Ride recommended a 255 but a 255/40-20 it seems is an odd size not many people make (Toyo seems too though), but the 245/40-20 I've had several people recommend seems about perfect. I'd love to get wider in the rear, but this is my daily driver so being able to rotate tires is a plus.

I was always worried that even baggin my truck that in the front with 20s the tire would hit the fenderwell before laying out, but am I hearing right that with a 245/40-20 I should be fine?

Anyone know of any good websites to buy tire/wheel combos? I was looking at www.wheelmax.com ..they had quite a few nice wheels, but not sure about the tires.Thanks.
i'm running 245/40/VR20s out back and 295/40/VR20s. No rubbing no anything.

I don't thikn u'll be able to rotate the tires unless u went with all same width tires all around. I think all tires of that size seem to be directional.

In the front u won't have many problems tucking since the wheels camber in. The back is where you run into problems. finding cast rims that tuck suck. Basically there are very few rms that will tuck. Oasis and American Racing seem to be the only chrome rims that i've seen that tuck. U can get away with regular rims if you run the 255/35/20. I didn't want to run tires that small, so i had intro customs make me a set of rims.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
brock said:
how much bigger is 245/35 than 245/40...?
It's smaller ... the 35 means the sidewall height is 35% of the 245 millimeter tire width, where as the 40 is 40%.

The bigger the first number the wider the tire, the bigger the second number the taller the tire.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
The 245/40/20 sounds alot like what you need. As for a place to buy wheels and tires you can check out www.bigjimsrims.com that is where mine came from :)

If you find a wheel with a close to stock backspacing you will thank yourself in the future, since you won't have as many rubbing problems as if you get some stickie-outties ;)

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I checked them out, great price on the American Racing Maxim 20x8.5 ... but the shipping sort of kills it for me, plus didn't have a large tire selection ... Tires and Wheels look cheap online till you figure out everyone is offering them with a Goodyear 275/45-20 that looks like crap, lol.

Bill

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
bcubed said:
Thanks, I checked them out, great price on the American Racing Maxim 20x8.5 ... but the shipping sort of kills it for me, plus didn't have a large tire selection ... Tires and Wheels look cheap online till you figure out everyone is offering them with a Goodyear 275/45-20 that looks like crap, lol.

Bill
ehh 275/45/20 is better than 275/55/20... its the cheapest and the first 20 inch tire size available. When i got my first set of dubz, the only tires out besides low pros were them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts