GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking and torsion bars are just springs and people usually replace their 15 year old coil springs so why don't people replace torsion bars? Is there any good reason or just cost inhibitive? If they sag and we just put keys on them wouldn't that just be like increasing the spring rate much higher than normal good non sagging ones? Is it possible to swap the two bars? Like left to right right to left and front to back? That would offset the sag so that you could use the old torsion keys and it would still lift it. It wouldn't be permanent but wouldn't that decrease spring rate making it a softer ride because the spring sits "higher" then? Any ideas or thoughts?

·
n. fil-dert.
6,939 Posts
People replace sagging torsion bars all the time. It is a thing.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,407 Posts
Decreasing the spring rate is only going to cause you to add more preload to get the same height. It won't improve the ride

·
n. fil-dert.
6,939 Posts
This thread isn't making sense. I thought you were asking if you can replace worn out torsion bars. The answer to that is yes. It should ride like it did when you bought (all other things being equal). As far as the torsion bars bad/coil springs good argument I fall into the "if torsion bars are so horrible why are they on so many trucks" camp. They ride fine for a daily driven truck. No you're not going to Moab or flexing out on a forklift but that's not the point of them. And cranking them up with aftermarket keys will make it ride like hammered shit, speaking from experience.

Reactions: sarilion

·
Registered
Solid axle '01 Tahoe/'03 Sierra/'18 Silverado
130 Posts
Deciphering what's here.

I think his truck has ride quality he's not happy with. And he's hopeful either putting in new t-bars, or switching them side-to-side will make it ride better.

Speaking from experience old t-bars don't ride so much as "worse" but do need to be cranked a little more to correct additional sagging. In fact my high miles '03 needed to be cranked a little to get it back to where it should be. And it rode noticeably better. Anecdotally I'd say the softer t-bar wasn't bad.

So I don't think he's necessarily going to achieve the improvement in ride that he's hoping for by incurring the expense of buying new t-bars.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,939 Posts
But he said nothing about improving his ride quality. Just asked if they can be replaced if they are sagging.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,939 Posts
Ehh I missed that. TBH what bugs me so I'll just get it off my chest lol - you SAS'd your Tahoe and maybe a few other trucks but that doesn't mean ditching the torsion bars in every truck is the solution. It depends on what the truck is being used for, skill level of the owner, budget...'my torsion bars are sagging, what can be done' doesn't scream 'you need to do a coilover swap (I had around $1500 or so in mine) or start ordering parts from WFO. Sometimes you can actually put OEM parts back on a truck for pretty cheap - - - there are about a zillion of these in the pull a part yards. Heck I have torsion bars in my garage if he was local.

·
Registered
Solid axle '01 Tahoe/'03 Sierra/'18 Silverado
130 Posts
From you taking every opportunity to beat this drum in my direction...

I get it, I somehow rubbed you the wrong way. And i get that you probably are an heir to the Torsion Bar manufacturing dynasty.

It's nothing personal man. I'm just doing me.

And if another guy wants to know how to improve ride with torsion bars. I'll probably say the same thing. Bars don't ride like
springs, and never will.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,939 Posts
OP - read through this thread. I did this swap on my 1500. Not cheap, and not like riding on a cloud of cotton candy versus torsion bars, but you can adjust pre-load/ride height much easier and if set up right you have much more down travel than with the old torsion bar setup. If I remember correctly he doesn't make lower brackets for the 2500 but you don't need them. Just read it they talk about that in the thread.

Reactions: ferraiolo1

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
That's not my experience.
My off the self NNBS fox coil overs leave a lot to be desired. My custom set for my NBS rode like a pillow.

My main hate on torsion bar GM trucks is the steering box. It’s night and day difference from the rack on coil and strut trucks. They honestly don’t ride much different as long as the keys aren’t hammered down.

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
What are you driving vehicles with oem beat ass coil
Over shock systems?

We are talking about true coil over systems.

I’ve never once seen some one say a tbar setup rides better than a good coil over. Even with upgraded shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts