GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new truck - 04 Sierra Ext Cab Z71. I've had it for a month and have just noticed a major problem. I'm assuming this will be something I can have taken care of under warranty. About two weeks ago when polishing the truck I noticed on the passenger side at the very top corner on the inside edge of both doors the paint was chipped off. I figured it happened during assembly and put some touch up paint on it. Next time I washed my truck, there it was again. This time I looked a little closer, and I see that as the passenger front door shuts against the wing door, the two doors briefly touch at the top. This would probably explain why every single passenger I've ever had never gets the door shut right on the first try.

I am curious, is this a common problem? I searched around the forum and haven't seen much.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
Doesn't sound normal to me. Check your door hinge pins, one of them may not be in all the way. Other than that, I don't have a clue.
 

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
Joined
·
5,501 Posts
That isn't right on a brand new truck...stuff like that happens some on older trucks when henges sag and shit...id have the dealership look at that for sure.
 

·
Line-X of San Antonio
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
i personally had alot of problems with my Ex cab doors. this was one of the reasons i got a crew. none of mine rubbed the paint off though. mine had to do with windnoise, and also the doors not closing right.
 

·
Line-X of San Antonio
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
ADyingDevotion said:
My new 04 GMC Sierra Ext has that windnoise did you ever fix it josh? Is that something that warranty would take care of?
yeah but they never did get it right. when it came time to buy a new truck it was alot easier to lean towards a crew cab.
 

·
thats right
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
i have nothing but problems with my extended cab doors as well. the latches and hinges are just pieces of crap. low quality. hell i wanna get rid of my truck just for that.

i've been looking at tundra extended cabs, and when you shut them, the doors SOLIDLY close. like the should. with my chevy, the doors shake while driving down rough roads. they dont even fit right. :nono:

interesting tho, no passenger of mine has ever been able to shut the door right on the first try as well........thats odd how we both have that
 

·
GMFS founding member
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
Jeff said:
i have nothing but problems with my extended cab doors as well. the latches and hinges are just pieces of crap. low quality. hell i wanna get rid of my truck just for that.

i've been looking at tundra extended cabs, and when you shut them, the doors SOLIDLY close. like the should. with my chevy, the doors shake while driving down rough roads. they dont even fit right. :nono:

interesting tho, no passenger of mine has ever been able to shut the door right on the first try as well........thats odd how we both have that
the access cab (as toyota calls them) doors are something they got right. i've had the same exact problems jeff noted with my '04 GMC ext cab. i snugged the latches up which made the doors close tighter, but they still don't close right and never will because of the poor design. i've probably screwed with the upper and lower latch adjustments a dozen times, they still rattle. this is where i insert my usual "professional grade my ass" rant but i'll save it.

slowrider, try loosening the latches and sliding them in towards the center of the truck about 1/8" and see what happens. the lower latches are held in place by 2 13mm bolts and the uppers by 3 13mm bolts under the headliner. you'll have to slam the rear doors to close them, but they will close tighter.
 

·
Later, Tony
Joined
·
7,265 Posts
Tundras :nono:
I had a little squeaking coming from my doors, bitched to the dealer, its good. I have a rattle in my front drivers door panel, but I'll fix it if/when I dynomat....
 

·
GMFS founding member
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
00Silverado said:
Tundras :nono:
elaborate, do you have any experience with them? though i probably never buy another one because support for them is no longer available to me (think) it was without a doubt the best truck i've ever driven. it wasn't perfect but never left me stranded and i never considered lighting it on fire :read:
 

·
GMFS founding member
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
Sevenfold said:
They seem like decent trucks, although I'd probably rather go for a Nissan Titan before a Tundra. However, I'm a brand loyal sucker to GM. :anitoof:
nothing wrong with being brand loyal if you've had good experiences. i'm not loyal to anything. i'd give the titan another year to get the bugs worked out. in my opinion, if it matters, i have found the tundra is better quality. consequently it's smaller (except quad cabs) has less options and costs more than a comparable GM truck. and the 1st gen Iforce V8 has been known to get extraordinarily bad MPG even on stock tires. like i said, not perfect, but toyota got a lot of things right the first and second years that GM is still fucking up, like making two doors latch together, and piston slap/CSK. early tundras had a knock too. toyota stood behind it. but then again i am just bitter, so take it as you will. i think what i say means at least something though and will prove true, or at least i hope it will if jeff gets a new truck. IMO GM screwed up bigtime by not offering at least a 6.5' bed on quad cabs and though the piston slap/CSK may be fixed, at least temporarily, there's still a lot of bad publicity and recommendations against GM, and i for one wish i had listened to it.

but i'm just bitter and i admit that so don't flame :bawl:
 

·
thats right
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
hovisimo said:
or at least i hope it will if jeff gets a new truck. :
my plans for the new truck got pushed back a few months :crazy: im gonna save up some money first. so around spring ill definatly get one. maybe late winter. plus that gives me time to sell my truck private party.

anyways- the titan is nice, BUT every single review i have read states: the interior is of poor quality, looks like it will fall apart in a year, etc. same exact stuff that is often said about GM. heck ive experienced it. i need to go look at a titan to see for myself . thats what sold me on the tundra. the interior quality.

anyways. there are alot of GMs out there. lots of shitty ones, and lots of fine ones. but its probably safe to say they have a higher percentage of shitty ones than toyota has had, or nissan will..........

hovis- you talking about being banned from TS, when you say no support :crazy:

i dont know why you think the tundra is more than a comparable GM. a tundra with pretty much IDENTICLE options as my truck is only a sticker of 30k, where my truck had a 34k sticker.
 

·
Plead The First
Joined
·
2,593 Posts
A good friend of mine has a Tundra. Let me tell you, if you plan on a stereo, it's a total bitch. I had to make custom speaker plates and everything. That and there is NO room for a sub. Other than that, it's a peachy little truck. :D
 

·
GMFS founding member
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
gotta(be)low said:
A good friend of mine has a Tundra. Let me tell you, if you plan on a stereo, it's a total bitch. I had to make custom speaker plates and everything. That and there is NO room for a sub. Other than that, it's a peachy little truck. :D
a single din headunit bolts right into the dash and plugs right in, unlike the RDS radios you have to retain in new GM trucks. the front doors in access cabs are 6.75 components, there are a number of companies that make speakers that will fit. rear doors will take a 6.5 coaxial. you can fit a 10" sub in the storage compartment with a baffle if you glass it and seal it. i had a sick system in my old tun, let me find some pics. i did all the work myself, it wasn't hard. i understand the quad cabs are a different story, though.
 

·
Later, Tony
Joined
·
7,265 Posts
hovisimo said:
elaborate, do you have any experience with them? though i probably never buy another one because support for them is no longer available to me (think) it was without a doubt the best truck i've ever driven. it wasn't perfect but never left me stranded and i never considered lighting it on fire :read:
When we were shopping for truck back in December of 2000, we looked at the Tundra. When we looked at the sticker price, we were surprised to see how much they cost. A Tundra Limited or whatever, with leather, stickered for more than my truck. Another thing was I didn't like the interior.... that damn center console sucked too. Also, we got the truck for 32 out the door, whereas a Tundra would have cost 33 plus taxes(but that is because Bill Wright Toyota sucks, but that is another story) I honestly think your truck has to be one of the most problematic vehicles I have ever heard of. With 92k on our suburban, and 44k on the silverado, we've yet to encounter any problems except routine maintainence. I'm brand loyal! :bowtie:
 

·
GMFS founding member
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
00Silverado said:
When we were shopping for truck back in December of 2000, we looked at the Tundra. When we looked at the sticker price, we were surprised to see how much they cost. A Tundra Limited or whatever, with leather, stickered for more than my truck. Another thing was I didn't like the interior.... that damn center console sucked too. Also, we got the truck for 32 out the door, whereas a Tundra would have cost 33 plus taxes(but that is because Bill Wright Toyota sucks, but that is another story) I honestly think your truck has to be one of the most problematic vehicles I have ever heard of. With 92k on our suburban, and 44k on the silverado, we've yet to encounter any problems except routine maintainence. I'm brand loyal! :bowtie:
when they first came out they were expensive, mine was an SR5, pretty basic, auto/V8 power windows locks and CD, cloth interior, i got it for about $29k. i'm not going to argue the story on my truck. i have found you get what you pay for. i'm not going to continue to flame GM, that is pointless for obvious reasons. but if i read about the tundra i won't hesitate to share my recommendation because they're good trucks. i have a couple friends with well over 100k on their 2000s. i have no vested interest in recommending them, i just tell it like i see it :read:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, not to distract from the rest of the conversation................but I looked a little closer at the doors today and I've narrowed the problem down to the top latch on the passenger side wing door as being responsible. Unless I slam the door extremely hard, it's not latching. Now I can't exactly see it for sure, but that's gotta be it. Compared to the drivers side which is fine, the passenger side has some play in the top half of the door if I try and jiggle it around. Also, when opening the door it unlatches much easier (I don't have to pull the handle very hard at all) than the drivers side and you can just kinda "feel" it unlatching from the bottom but not the top.

If I slam the door very hard it is fine, or if it is only half latched and the front door is slammed against it, then it goes into place and is fine until the next time it is opened. So....hopefully they don't give me some kind of crap like "well you're just not shutting your door hard enough".
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top