GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Milk was a bad choice.
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first of all, I know literally nothing about audio. I just need some insight from some people who do. I've been wanting to get something in my truck for a while but just haven't been too serious about it. Now I am, and I'm wanting to know what would be right for me.

I drive a 2005 Silverado Ext Cab. About 90% of what I listen to is metal and rest is rock/rap/comedy whatever. Two 10's seems to be common. I don't want something that will blow me away, I'm not into playing music for the whole county to hear, I just want it to sound better than stock. Idk if my decision should change depending on which genre I prefer, so that's why I was wondering. I'm not wanting to spend a ton of money if I can keep from it. I know I'll need a box built to hold the subs and then an amp. My friend gets a good deal from Kicker and I'll most likely order something from him unless I can find a deal that's good. He usually builds his own boxes, but I don't know how to.

There's all sorts of already-built Kicker kits and stuff on ebay like the one in the link below, should I stay away from them?
http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-99-06-CHEVY-SILVERADO-SUB-BOX-W-C12-08-ZX400-1_W0QQitemZ400038528960QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item400038528960&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1546|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Thanks for any recommendations/help/tips.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
thats not a bad setup at all with the amp and speakers, but remember youll still need wires and a Hi/Lo adapter if you have a stock deck

·
Milk was a bad choice.
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats not a bad setup at all with the amp and speakers, but remember youll still need wires and a Hi/Lo adapter if you have a stock deck
Quoted from that auction: "All package enclosures come pre-wired with the subwoofer(s) installed so all you have to do is connect speaker wire to the terminal cup. It doesn't get much better than that!"

Sounds like a pretty good plan for someone like me that doesn't know a thing about it. Will I have to take the back seat out to get the box and everything in there and hooked up?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Quoted from that auction: "All package enclosures come pre-wired with the subwoofer(s) installed so all you have to do is connect speaker wire to the terminal cup. It doesn't get much better than that!"

Sounds like a pretty good plan for someone like me that doesn't know a thing about it. Will I have to take the back seat out to get the box and everything in there and hooked up?
Nope, the ext. cab boxes just slide under the seats. That amp, I'd probably install under the driver's seat if you can fit it and don't wanna remove the back seat.

Only thing is that you should tell that store they should sell the proper wire kit for that amp. The Kicker ZX400.1 amp requires a 4 AWG kit.

"Brand New Stinger 8 Gauge SQ600X Amplifier Kit"

EDIT: Where are you in North Texas?

·
Milk was a bad choice.
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, the ext. cab boxes just slide under the seats. That amp, I'd probably install under the driver's seat if you can fit it and don't wanna remove the back seat.

Only thing is that you should tell that store they should sell the proper wire kit for that amp. The Kicker ZX400.1 amp requires a 4 AWG kit.

"Brand New Stinger 8 Gauge SQ600X Amplifier Kit"

EDIT: Where are you in North Texas?
That's not even the correct wire kit? That's weird. One of my buddies that has two Kicker L7 10's just came over and they hit really hard. They're more than enough than I would ever need. I could get 12's but it's really pretty unnecessary.

I'm in a little town called Collinsville, north of Arlington a little over an hour.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
That's not even the correct wire kit? That's weird. One of my buddies that has two Kicker L7 10's just came over and they hit really hard. They're more than enough than I would ever need. I could get 12's but it's really pretty unnecessary.

I'm in a little town called Collinsville, north of Arlington a little over an hour.
Not exactly apple to apples there. L7 is Kicker's top line, while the comp are the entry-level. I think two of these 12's will be plenty for an entry set up; just gotta get a 4 AWG kit if you go for that package. :crazy:

·
Milk was a bad choice.
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not exactly apple to apples there. L7 is Kicker's top line, while the comp are the entry-level. I think two of these 12's will be plenty for an entry set up; just gotta get a 4 AWG kit if you go for that package. :crazy:
Yeah L7's are expensive, and I don't necessarily have a need for something that nice. I'm the kind of person that likes getting nice stuff, though, and usually if there's something better, I tend to save up and get it haha. But I'm also pretty cheap so I'll most likely get whatever gets me the most bang for the least buck.

·
Milk was a bad choice.
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What size amp will be good to push two 10's? Does it make a really big difference if the amp wattage is small compared to a big one?

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
that amp is fine, but like I said, youll need a wiring kit and Hi/Lo if its a stock deck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts