GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've lowered every car I've owned, and now since I have a truck, I'd like to have it handle better. I'm looking at the McGaughy's 2/4 spindle, shackle, hanger kit. I don't want it too low, just a bit lower than stock. My quesiton, does this affect towing at all? Can you still pull the same weight. I can see payload weight being affected, but since I don't plan on filling the bed with anything crazy heavy, I don't mind.

Also, would it be worth adding sway bars? Thanks.

·
Team Black
2,415 Posts
towing you should be fine. If you want extra handling, I sway bar in the rear is a good idea.

that mcgaughys kit is great BUT you have 2 choices of spindles, one that fits 16"+ wheels and one that fits 17"+ wheels.

the 16"+ cuts down ALOT of your turning raduis.
the 17"+, well, you have to run aftermarket wheels

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sway bars never hurt. The nice thing about A 2/4 with a shackle/hanger kit is that the rear suspension stays the same (springs & shocks). This means your capacity is the same as stock. The only problem comes from the 4" ssmaller gap between the frame & axle, limiting downward travel. The solution is an air assist kit. These kits are relatively cheap and also increase the capacity of your payload, while virtually eliminating the bottoming out you will have without them.
bhclogo_tmp_jpgcopy.gif

·
Bassmaster
701 Posts
The solution is an air assist kit. These kits are relatively cheap and also increase the capacity of your payload, while virtually eliminating the bottoming out you will have without them.
Agree....get an air assist kit, or atleast some leaf spring helpers...like the ones made by Hellwig.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will look into the air assist kit. I want to go spindles instead of springs due to the fact I want a good ride, not a bouncy one. Now if I can only convince my wife I need this.......

Oh yeah, what kind of specs on the 17" rims do I need to run for the spindles. I couldn't find any info on this? I have the stock 17" chrome steel wheels, could I get some 17" Tahoe rims (I like the design and they are cheap on ebay)?

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
you can run your stock 17" wheels with the McGaughys spindles, I had them same 17s on my truck with those spindles, they work fine, just need to trim the bolt down on the bottom of the spindle... (THE STOCK TAHOE 17S WILL NOT WORK WITH THESE SPINDLES, have no clue why, but the factory steel 17s work perfect.

As far as air ride, Airlift makes a SLAMAIR kit, part #59103, that works for our trucks with a 2/4 drop. I have this kit on my crew cab and tow my boat with it with NO problems. I will post pics later tonite of my truck dropped 2/4 while towing my boat...

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
pm chevycrew for questions and pics, he does alot of towing with his truck and he has the same kit.

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
2/4 drop, no airbags at the time of this pic...

DSC01921.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Supercharged SS, that pic is the exact height I want. I think it'll look sweet.

I'll look into the slamair kit. I'll most likely only be towing one or two sportbikes (mines about 500lbs, my buddies about 400lbs) anyways.

The fact I can run the stock rims will be nice (I need 1, as the front left has a bend in the lip from before I bought it) as they aren't bad looking.

Thanks for the pics and tips.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Indy Sierra
I've got a 2/4 on an '04 ECSB. Used McGaughy's spindles, shackles, hangers.
I also had to use the air assist bags due to hitting the frame too often. I use 10 pounds in the bags is the bed is empty.
Also used the shock extenders with stock shocks. All works really well.
Just got around to raising the carrier bearing to get the rear driveshaft in phase. A simple install, but easier with a drive-on lift.
Have towed a utility trailer with no problem. You do want a ball receiver that aligns with the trailer so I had to get a new one. My old one was for the stock height and had too much drop. Like $18 or so.
I used Denali 17 wheels. Had to trim the hell out of that bottom balljoint bolt.
PM me for pics.
Gary
P.S. Twankduece : that pic in your sig is killing me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts