GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GMC Sierra 2016 4WD Crew cab

Bad squeaking is happening when I turn wheel and/or hit bumps, echoing on suspension and I can hear in cab. Local shop says 3/4 (both lower and 1 Upper) ball joints are bad and the only thing that will work is to install a 4" lift kit for the proper angles. Quoted me at 3.5k Installed. I feel like I already have 70% of the parts that some 4" lift kits come like this kit here Cognito 4" Lift Kit w/ Fox Coilover. Local wasnt really interested in me going that route and/or said the shocks are probably different in this kit that I have, I'm not sure if they are the same, but I've emailed Cognito to ask.

I will do my best to try and explain my current situation, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff and I had everything installed by local shops. I will gladly pay someone to do the work and/or give business to local shops but I want to make sure I'm not spending extra on parts I do not Need. I feel I've already purchased quality coil overs and UCAs already.

I originally purchased a moto MOTOFAB 3/2 Leveling kit - I got this installed by local shop along with the RC UCAs. After reading reviews about the UCA angles and ball joints when installing these leveling kits, I tried to be proactive and also purchased the RoughCountry Forged UCA to give them better angles. Got all of this installed. Although I loved the look, the ride was very rough. I assumed installing better coilover and shocks, this would fix everything. I purchased these Fox Coilovers and these Fox Shocks in the rear (I thought I purchased the 2.0 shocks in the rear but I accidentally purchased the cheaper adventure shock version.) I got these installed by a different shop I was at. I think he adjusted the front coilovers to make everything level. Not really sure on that. The ride got better but not perfect.

After about 4 months all of my issues started happening with squeaking and noise up front. I brought it in to original shop and they are telling me I need a brand new 4" Lift. I'm confused because it seems like the Cognito 4" Coilover LiftKit is using the same front coilovers I am using and also a 3" block and also similar UCAs. What is my most cost effective way of getting my truck properly lifted without causing Ball joints to fail later when I change them? And to make sure everything is lifted properly?

·
Super Moderator
6,169 Posts
The Fox coils fit on my 14 with the 5 inch rcx knuckle lift, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to run them with another similar lift. You can either run them with the spacer or get an extended eyelet for the bottom.

·
Super Moderator
6,169 Posts

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
The cognito is different in your current setup as it has drop bracketry for your LCA and new spindles to acquire the 4" lift opposed to preloading the spring of a coilover and keeping everything in the stock location, stretching everything to its limits. All kits will widen your front track width due to new spindles to achieve lift. I'm not aware of any 4-6" full drop kit that does not widen your track width. It shouldn't be more than 3/4-1" per side which will give it a more aggressive stance even on stock wheels IMO.
Are you planning to run a larger tire? Looks like those could easily fit with a standard 2.5" level. If no plans to go bigger, adjust the coilovers to be level or slightly higher with the stock rear block installed. The UCA's should be fine after you replace the balljoints. Would also check the wheel bearings.

What kind of mileage do you have on your setup?

·
Super Moderator
6,169 Posts
The cognito is different in your current setup as it has drop bracketry for your LCA and new spindles to acquire the 4" lift opposed to preloading the spring of a coilover and keeping everything in the stock location, stretching everything to its limits. All kits will widen your front track width due to new spindles to achieve lift. I'm not aware of any 4-6" full drop kit that does not widen your track width. It shouldn't be more than 3/4-1" per side which will give it a more aggressive stance even on stock wheels IMO.
Are you planning to run a larger tire? Looks like those could easily fit with a standard 2.5" level. If no plans to go bigger, adjust the coilovers to be level or slightly higher with the stock rear block installed. The UCA's should be fine after you replace the balljoints. Would also check the wheel bearings.

What kind of mileage do you have on your setup?
Cat and rcx both make a bracket kit that doesn't widen track width

1 - 7 of 7 Posts