GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I picked up an 06 Duramax the other day. It's a cab and chasis work truck model and I've got a couple questions. I've tried searching here and on other forums, but haven't had any luck so far. If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

1) I never cared for automatic headlights. I know about the resistor trick in the sensor and had planned on doing that, but the more I think about it, I'd rather just be able to turn the switch to off and leave it there. Has anyone pulled the spring out? Can it be opened up and removed without breaking anything?

2a) Also, I've got a fog light switch but, of course, no fog lights. Instead, it turns on the cab/parking lights. Has anyone heard of this? I guess I could just follow the wires, but honestly, it's not my biggest priority at the moment.

2b) I would like to know how hard it is to use this switch for aftermarket fogs when I get some down the road. Would it be best to use a relay or is there a place to just plug a wire in after the BCM?

3a) The area where the third brake light goes just has a black piece in it. There is a rotating hazard light on top of the headache rack that has wires coming through the CHMSL section and turns on via the cargo light switch. I will probably remove it at some point, and would like to use the cargo switch to power the current reverse lights, as well as some flush mount ones I'll be installing. I was thinking I could use a couple diodes to tie the cargo switch into the reverse wire. It seems the best, easiest place would be in the dash, but would this work with the BCM?

3b) Since I already have wires running out of the "cargo light," I figure I might as well leave them for future use. My question comes with the switch wiring. Since I plan on changing the cargo switch to run the cargo/reverse lights, I'm trying to figure out the best way to send power through these wires. Ideas?

4) In my gmt400 it is possible to replace the HVAC and headlight switch knobs with nicer ones from an astro van. Has anyone found some that fit the 800's?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts