GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the whole truck thing, but want my truck lifted a lil for offroadin and looks. Im thinkin 3in body lift, and some bigger tires. My first question is what size tires could i clear. Second is a 3in body lift a good idea, or that like sissy way. Also would buyin gm 17'' or 20''s be bad if im gonna lift it. What are the negative effects of this lift. What brands are good what are bad etc Like i said im new to this whole thing so any input would help.

·
Team White!
446 Posts
Body lifts are good if you do it right. Mine is from Performance assecorries (sp?) and included all the brackets for the bumpers/steering and radiator support. I was able to run a 315/75r16 on a stock wheel with just a bodylift. I went to 16x10 wheels when i added Ford keys and 3 inch blocks in the back.

Here is the truck with 315s on just a bodylift.

Here is the truck with a bodylift, 16x10, 315s, Ford Keys, and 3 inch rear blocks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what are ford keys? and so you had 3in blocks in the front and rear, and thanks nice truck

·
previously USMC05
552 Posts
Ford keys are the Torson bars keys that lift up the front end a few inches. You cant put blocks in the front you have IFS all you can do is torsion bar keys or a real suspension lift.

If you are just looking for a little height i would do exatly what was said 3" body lift with all the brackets, Blocks in the rear, and Ford keys up front and run the 16x10 wheel on a 315 (35x12.5)
heres a pic of the keys
f.gif

heres my old chevy when it had whats listed above except 16x8 wheels and addaleafs instead of blocks in the rear
IMG_1312s.gif

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dang that looks pretty nice too, do i have IFS its super cold and i don't feel like climbing under my truck to check. How much do these keys cost, and how hard is it to install all this stuff. Also is there any way i could run a GM rim with off road tires. And how would my off road (mostly muddin) be with this, thanks guys

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
You need to search about your vehicle on this site, all of your questions you WILL ask have been answered. Do a seach on torsion bar, and ford keys.... wealt of info on here. that is all

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
newport news, so yeah near you, you know anyone down here whos into these trucks could show me like where trails are how to off road etc, also what is tweaking torsion bars. thanks guys for being so helpful really thought i get flamed, yall are a lot nicer then the ricers im use to dealing with

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay i have searched and most of my questions have been anwsered. I jus want to know all the options and downsides and stuff since im so new to this. Also i have heard ford keys give u a bad ride. I dont mind paying out extra money for a good ride and to do this right. Should i just go suspension then get the lift im looking for. Also does having manauly selectable ride control change anything cuase i have that.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Imo a suspension lift will retain the best ride as you are not solely cranking torsion bars. it uses drop brakets to relocate components lower, in leiu giving lift.

·
Bigger, Longer, and UnCut
987 Posts
It all depends how much lift you want and how much you are willing to spend. If you have $3000+ to spend get a 6 inch suspension lift. If you are on a budget like me then I suggest doing a BL and just crank your bars. The ride wont be too bad, but nothing rides as good as stock.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
rims and tires usually cost more than the lift itself:read: do it right the first time with a Suspension lift.

·
previously USMC05
552 Posts
it depends on how much you want to spend. But from my expirance i have regreted not doing it right the first time. Also that its Never big enough!

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
BODY LIFT:
a body lift will allow for the bigger tires you want and WILL NOT effect ride quality at all. For 3", they are fairly cheap ($250-$300)A body lift however lifts your body 3" above the frame of your truck so all its doing is allowing for bigger tires. You can run aftermarket wheels of any diameter that you want (15"-20") but you need to check the backspacing and the width of the rim. Too wide of a rim will cause rubbing issues with the larger tires. For example a 17x8 would work alot better than a 17x10 or 17x12.
CRANKING TORSION BARS:
this type of lift costs you no money, all you need is a socket wrench with a 18mm socket, however it DOES effect ride quality and the wear of your suspension components (pitman arm, idler arm, balljoints, tierods, and the the most common cv axle.) Cranking your bars lifts only the front of the vehicle and puts everything at a more stressful angle in the front (depending how much you crank) most guys on here will tell you 1.5" of crank/lift is all you will want to go before really affecting your ride quality. New shocks are recommended when doing this also.
-you can use a body lift + a small crank for a solid 4-4.5" of lift to fit a 35" tire comfortably. You probably wouldn't want to go with much larger of a tire than a 35" unless you buy a complete suspension lift which is up there as far as $$$... I dont know of any good suspension kits for your truck so that you will have to search for...hope this helps were all open to questions man.
EDIT: you may also buy new torsion bars (more heavy duty than stock) around $200 bux which will also help your ride quality whether you crank or not. Theres a couple threads freshly posted in "Lifted Suspension and offroad", especially one by 99z you might want to look into

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Ford keys are the Torson bars keys that lift up the front end a few inches. You cant put blocks in the front you have IFS all you can do is torsion bar keys or a real suspension lift.

If you are just looking for a little height i would do exatly what was said 3" body lift with all the brackets, Blocks in the rear, and Ford keys up front and run the 16x10 wheel on a 315 (35x12.5)
heres a pic of the keys
heres my old chevy when it had whats listed above except 16x8 wheels and addaleafs instead of blocks in the rear
IMG_1312s.gif
Damn, that was your truck. In the last week all these badass regular cabs have turned up. In 9th and 10th grade I had pics of your truck and the maroon regular cab on here too (99z) and then i finally got my own truck. Im looking into lifting my truck this summe exactly how yalls trucks are. Nice truck man, I know you sold it but i still carry that binder with your truck on the front only now ive got a picture of mine below it.

·
previously USMC05
552 Posts
Damn, that was your truck. In the last week all these badass regular cabs have turned up. In 9th and 10th grade I had pics of your truck and the maroon regular cab on here too (99z) and then i finally got my own truck. Im looking into lifting my truck this summe exactly how yalls trucks are. Nice truck man, I know you sold it but i still carry that binder with your truck on the front only now ive got a picture of mine below it.
Wow i remember when i did that same thing at school. put the dream trucks on the binder. I really appreaciate the comment! Heres a few more pics for you!
6" Suspension, 3" Body lift, Ford Keys not cranked on 315s
Picture001.gif

IMG_1967.gif

Cranked the keys and swaped the 4" block for 5.5" and put 37"s on
Image1-1.gif

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think i have decided on the 3in body lift, jus curious which kit is the best, also if i did a 6in suspeison could i still run a stock gm rim (not my current ones but a gm rim) or would i still have the back spacing problem

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
You need a full drop kit to run stock wheels, a body lift is a body lift not realy much to choose from, most go with performance accessories.

·
previously USMC05
552 Posts
i dont know if you could run stock wheels but they sure wouldnt look right not wide enough at all!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts