GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on doing another mod on my truck this weekend. I still may change out and switch to a different muffler, but that is another thread.

My choices are this:

1. Corvette Servo & Transgo Shift Kit

2. Flex-A-Lite Dual Electric Fan Kit

3. Underdrive crank pulley set.

Any suggestions on what would be good to do at this point in time. I would kinda like to do the pulley and efans at the same time, but I need to check my funds to see if it will allow at this time.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Pulley will give you an undercharge...that's BAD with e-fans. I had pulleys in the past and since gotten rid of them. Just better ways to achieve the power. Get a tune or something.

With what you're looking at, the TransGo and servo are a good choice. I'd go with both billets if I was you or at least the billet OD one. To keep 1-2 shifts more tame with the billet, keep that feel hole smaller like a .063" and you'll be fine there. Also, you'll want to get a $10 Sonnox "Servo Release Check Valve" for both the 'Vette and/or the billet intermediate servo. It helps keep more fluid flow for a 3-2 or 4-2 kickdown...that's a good thing. The billet OD is a must for towing fast in OD or high speed shifts into OD. Reply back and I'll link ya to the place where I get my tranny parts.

Fans... I'd run some LS1 fans, they kick ass. I have them on my Z and F150. They suck great. :D I've never had a heating problem with them in years. I'd get either a really new FlexALite 40A VSC and a BIG fuse holder w/ all 10awg wire OR a DC Control unit.

:shake:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
id go fans
better gas mileage, and more power

·
Broke
350 Posts
Cant really go wrong, fans or trans stuff. Id prolly go with the trans stuff first tho....

·
Registered
37 Posts
hitman, can you point me to the "servo release check value?" i already have that stupid metal acc. piston to install, id like to change this release check value too while i have the pan down. :D

id do the shift kit and servo. i think the billet 1-2 servo is a bit much though. i would go with the vette servo and billet OD servo. on the shift kit dont drill for "full race" and dont use any washers. i have no washers w/ a 2600 stall vette servo/billet od servo and still chirp my tires on the 1-2 upshift. :bowtie:

if you do efans, forget the VSC. buy one of those relays from nelson and get a reburn.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I was leaning toward the Trans Mods anyway, just needed some affirmation from the rest of you guys here. I am thinking of doing the trans stuff now and then when I get ready go down and have Allen help me with the e-fans and the relay and re-tune for it. Thats the idea anyways.

Hitman, I would appreciate a headsup on the parts needed and where to get em. Might make my life a little easier.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Sure, I'll get most of those part numbers up tonight when I get home or tomorrow. It's killer pricing.

That HD2 kit is about $82...and you can ship USPS Priority!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanks man, appreciate it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about doing an upgraded torque converter too along with the servos and shift kit? What would be good as far as the stall rating? Doesn't have to be anything neckbreaking but better is good.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Hell ya, a converter would kick ass.

Here's some discussion on them... http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9675

Are you looking to stay pretty mild? If so, a 4.2L Trailblazer converter would flash to around 2600rpm, have full towing capacity, and drive like stock...AND cheap.

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Hit Man X said:
If so, a 4.2L Trailblazer converter would flash to around 2600rpm, have full towing capacity, and drive like stock...AND cheap.
Tell me more about this converter.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hitman, I am wanting to keep the truck daily drivable. I don't mind shift being harsher and having lots of torque and pull or anything, just don't want anything to cause it to be bad for street driving. I have already swapped out my 3.42 gears to richmond 3.90 units and would like to get some greater pull straight outta the gate. From a stand still, the truck is pretty weak and would like to give it some balls.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Okay, I'll post more up later this afternoon Leo...it's pretty trick, it'll make ya quicker than the ol' 15.88 :D

Crew...I'm still gathering you list, I got bent on my books so I was online tracking them down for about 40% less last night. :anitoof:

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Hit Man X said:
Okay, I'll post more up later this afternoon Leo...it's pretty trick, it'll make ya quicker than the ol' 15.88 :D
Yeah, I really need to get faster.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Leo...

It's just a factory stall from that Trailblazer. That's why it's so cheap, I think it's around $200-250.

I'm almost certain it's the same as the Yank TT2600 now als. They both share the same STR of 2.1 (as opposed to the 1.9 in the 5.3) so that's what leads me to believe that as the 4.8 also has a 2.1 STR and the 4.3. The case is ~11" also. I'm fairly certain it's the same there.

I recall you have a tuner on there, and a UPD...whatelse? How about a ported TB and maybe some headers? B&M cooler, 'Vette servo, and billet OD too...

BTW... everyone Tech still looking for the piece to stick the AutoTrac case from a 4L60E to the 4L80E? lol I posted up here how to do that about 4-6 weeks ago. :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hitman,

I was looking at the the Yank torque converter website and they have some new line of converters called the truck thrusters. They have a truck thruster 2600 rpm stall and a truck stealth 2400 rpm stall. The stealth has pretty much the same characteristics as a stock just with a higher stall. I am seriously thinking of going with a stall coverter now even over the vette servo and shift kit for right now. I should be getting my re-tuned Nelson PCM sometime this week with the shift firmed up and I might want to see how that works out for me before I add the servos and shift kit.

What are your suggestions on torque converters. Is it best to go with the 2600 or higher. I also was thinking about the trailblazer verter that you have been talking about. I guess you could get one of those from the GM dealership?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Crew...

I usually roll mine every other day as I have the WRX too, the billet intermediate is a trick piece...if you have the budget I'd get one. The trick is just a smaller feed hole for the 1-2 shift with the billet servo.

I'd suggest driving a truck with a stall to see what you like, 2600rpm to me is nice and should come in these trucks stock but it's not high enough for me. Due to the weight of my truck I'd stick with a 2800rpm PI (not good for towing, if that matters) or max out around a Yank TT3000 for the most stall to towing.

A larger case will keep heat down and feel more like stock.

What sort of budget are you working with?

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Hit Man X said:
Leo...

It's just a factory stall from that Trailblazer. That's why it's so cheap, I think it's around $200-250.

I'm almost certain it's the same as the Yank TT2600 now als. They both share the same STR of 2.1 (as opposed to the 1.9 in the 5.3) so that's what leads me to believe that as the 4.8 also has a 2.1 STR and the 4.3. The case is ~11" also. I'm fairly certain it's the same there.

I recall you have a tuner on there, and a UPD...whatelse? How about a ported TB and maybe some headers? B&M cooler, 'Vette servo, and billet OD too...

BTW... everyone Tech still looking for the piece to stick the AutoTrac case from a 4L60E to the 4L80E? lol I posted up here how to do that about 4-6 weeks ago. :D
All I have is a Superchips programmer and a UPD. I will hopefully get an exhaust, x-pipe and dual magnaflows, later this year or early next year. 01Thunder said that he would P&P my TB next month. That converter is pretty cheap in price and wouldn't mind getting that, especially that it stalls a lot higher than stock. I just wonder how much it would cost to have it installed. Will I need to have servos and shift kit with this converter?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
SierraCrew said:
Hitman,

I was looking at the the Yank torque converter website and they have some new line of converters called the truck thrusters. They have a truck thruster 2600 rpm stall and a truck stealth 2400 rpm stall. The stealth has pretty much the same characteristics as a stock just with a higher stall. I am seriously thinking of going with a stall coverter now even over the vette servo and shift kit for right now. I should be getting my re-tuned Nelson PCM sometime this week with the shift firmed up and I might want to see how that works out for me before I add the servos and shift kit.

What are your suggestions on torque converters. Is it best to go with the 2600 or higher. I also was thinking about the trailblazer verter that you have been talking about. I guess you could get one of those from the GM dealership?

Peep that post for Leo about that TT2600, I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

Line pressure firmeness is way different then getting your firmness through a shift kit and heavier apply servos also.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.