GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinkin about puttin NOS or somthing on my truck for a little extra kick when I'm about to get stuck. Anyone ever done this? What can happen to an engine on nitrous? Do you think it would be beneficial?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
it can be if used right but the opertunity isnt very often, if you do it in mud you will just dig down deeper.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Ive thought about this...and i honestly think this is one of the only reasons to use NO2. Stock internals can handle pretty much up to a 100 shot...tranny might not be able to take too much tho...but if you went with a 50 or 75 shot, you would prob be good to go. NO2 can do a lot of damage if the engine is not set up right...it can cause detination (sp) which will bend valves and stuff like that, and i think its even possible to break piston rods and stuff because of the lil bit higher compression rate. NO2 can be a good add on...if used in moderation and used correctly...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I don't think theres any point to NOS when it comes to mud, unless you don't have enough power to spin your tires. Every time I've gotten stuck in mud is because I don't have enough traction, or I am dragging, or I just landed in a puddle on my frame with my wheels off the ground. Never have I not had enough power, I just havn't had the traction. Same reason I don't understand going in 4lo to go through mud, its not going to get you any more traction, just more torque to the wheels. I'd put the NOS money into a locker.

·
2,451 Posts
it seems that it would be good in mud if you had a tire like the bogger that could paddle you through, but a locker would be way more effective.

·
5,501 Posts
i guess its true theres not much use in mud unless you do have tires too big for the motor to push easily. (yes i know, gearing, but big tires are also heavier and are harder to turn just cuz of weight), but i could see maybe something like hill climbing...some of the hills around here are just clay (anyone from GA or SC knows what im talkin about, GA is some fun shit) and its just slick as hell when wet...sometimes you can't get enough traction on it...or your tires make cake up, and spinnin them faster gets rid of the clay...and there may be times where to make it up those last few inches that you need to spin the tires clean...NO2 may come in handy for that, just that lil added power boost...but i guess vare rarely does it have much use off road...and on the strip i think its a cheater way to gain power...

·
Registered
832 Posts
There is a use offroad, its called mud racing. Usually if you can spin your tires very fast it causes more floatation and you will get farther. Being stuck then hitting the NOS will cause you to dig, however if you hit it vefore you get to a big hole you will go farther.

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
N2o belongs on a drag strip or the street, i wouldnt fuck with it off pavement, all you will do is spin tires and rev high, its not a good idea, there really isnt too much to be discussed.

·
this
1,584 Posts
georgia clay can bite me! play'n on it is one thing but having to drive in that shit to school every day sucked! Esp after a long rain

Even if you ran a small enough shot so your engine/tranny would be ok, there will still be a sudden jolt on the rest of your drivetrain. As i have learned from this past weekend..sudden jolts are BAD! Esp when you are in deep mud.
The serious mud racers do use it but the ones ive seen are running like 300 shots of it. But thats fine cause they are set up to run something like that.
If you want extra horse power..run a blower
:devil2:

·
5,501 Posts
Isn't there kits that you can buy that start small sprays when u have the throttle like 3/4 of the way and keep goin till you are full throttle...that way when u NEED it its there and you wouldn't use it up drivin it daily...i would think if its not big jolt it wouldn't hurt the rest of the drivetrain as bad...

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
RedneckDude said:
Isn't there kits that you can buy that start small sprays when u have the throttle like 3/4 of the way and keep goin till you are full throttle...that way when u NEED it its there and you wouldn't use it up drivin it daily...i would think if its not big jolt it wouldn't hurt the rest of the drivetrain as bad...
that kind of a system is $$$$

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds to me like there are mixed oppinions. I still think it would be beneficial to have that extra power in the mud or on a hill to get you farther faster. but I am worried about hurting my engine. I only have a K&N and an exhaust. Limited slip as well. I've also herd of a kit that sprays into the air box then the NO2 gets sucked into the engine like that. They say it doesnt hurt the engine like mixing it with straight fuel. How much does the engine have to be built to not harm it when using NO2? WHat will happen if I just hook it up to my engine as is?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I no thats how its typically done, but I heard about this new system. It doesnt give as much horse power but its still like a 35 to 50 horse power gain when hit.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I was joking, You may not have seen a while back about the guy on some ricer forum that Drilled a hole in his gas tank to hook up his NOS, that was some funny shit.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Eisenfaust said:
I was joking, You may not have seen a while back about the guy on some ricer forum that Drilled a hole in his gas tank to hook up his NOS, that was some funny shit.
I dunno, but it was either that one or another one where he installed it in his valve cover... :LOL:

·
5,501 Posts
I heard abou the valve cover one...pretty funny...and stupid

1 - 19 of 19 Posts