GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see from my sig I have a 2010 Chevy 1500 with the 6.2l engine & 3.42 gears. I've already made a thread about the bad towing mileage, but now I have a question about transmission temps.

What are your max & average temps while pulling about a 5,500lb load? I'm averaging about 218 degrees & max out at 237. This just seems extremely high & before I do any more pulling I want o make sure I won't be damaging the truck. It is really hilly around here & it has been averaging 100 degrees outside while pulling.

I called the dealer & all they could say was that if it got too hot warning lights would come on & I would know that it needs to cool off. Well no shit that would be a good sign, but it didn't answer my question so I thought I would ask some people with a little more knowledge.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
dont have a NNBS 1500, but that is getting much too hot for comfort IMO

pulling my boat with 100* temps outside, running 37's with 4.10 gears i have never seen a tranny temp over 200* my avg. for a 45min drive in these conditons is about 190* and thats mixed highway and city driving.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that it what I was thinking too. Do you think there is something wrong with my truck, or is it all NNBS?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I saw mine shoot up to 187 on a 100+ degree day during regular driving with no load. There are a few threads on pt.net about 6spd trans temps. I believe the 6spd with the new Dexron VI fluid is better at handling heat than the 4spd and old Dex III fluid. Dexron VI is a synthetic blend fluid.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have an 08 w/ 4-speed and it calls for Dexron VI. Do you have the tow package w/ the extra trans cooler up front?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an 08 w/ 4-speed and it calls for Dexron VI. Do you have the tow package w/ the extra trans cooler up front?
Yes I do. That's why it really surprised me.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Mine must be awful then, on the warmest of days its about 90 or so and West Virginia roads are constantly up and down mountains. 8" lift, 35s and the 6 speed with out pulling anything I've been at 225 degrees before.

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
GM states 160-200 degrees or there about for ATF operating temperature, so you're fine. Short spikes over that won't hurt anything. I've seen 250 pulling up long mountain grades at ~70mph with the converter unlocked.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GM states 160-200 degrees or there about for ATF operating temperature, so you're fine. Short spikes over that won't hurt anything. I've seen 250 pulling up long mountain grades at ~70mph with the converter unlocked.
I guess I will be fine then. It was at 218-225 for about 1 hour, but I guess it will be ok. Maybe I need to add a bigger cooler on there to take care of the heat.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i installed a B&M 20,500 BTU Supercooler in place of the stocker and it helped tons in keeping temps down when pulling the camper and boat in the hot summer weather. it will keep my temps below 200F pulling a 5000lb camper.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
I guess I will be fine then. It was at 218-225 for about 1 hour, but I guess it will be ok. Maybe I need to add a bigger cooler on there to take care of the heat.
It's fine, but if it gets that hot on a regular basis then you'll definitely want a bigger cooler.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts