GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
nulty_23
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what i would have to do to instal the newer 6 speed trans into my 03 sierra i also plan on doing the 6.0 swap soon will that trans work with it?

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
there is a company that does it...forgot who it was but someone will post it.

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
Not only will it be more expensive and a pain in the ass but you will have 2 more ratios to worry about when upgrading performance wise..

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Not as spendy as I am thinking if you purchase a used trans. Here is what I came up with (which could all be BS, I do not know!):

Yes have to run dual PCMs, big deal. E38 (LS2 style to control the trans) and the 411 (LS1 style)...

Need the 411 to control the HVAC in the early trucks. The harness I saw looks stupid easy. Power/ground to the compressor (two wires), power/ground to the 411, and power/ground to the gauges. Easy as hell to build this harness. I saw this from Speartech.

Convert to ETC for the late model controlling, again easy and makes big TBs cheap to buy... Need the pedal, wire it to the PCM, and off you go. This may or may not be necessary, but all '03 shit has ETC. The 411 can control the ETC as '02 Denali trucks had it for example...

Install 6L80 or 90E. 90E is a cunt hair longer... 1.3" from what I read. So the longer one may allow easier use of existing driveshaft... 6L80E is shorter than 4L60E. Mounting pad is diff so you have to modify the X-member, not a big issue. The trans also has the computer built into the valve body area from what I understand. Just have to get the harness and install to the friendly E38...

My only concern is that can you segment swap the E38 to control the 24X motors properly? I would imagine so as the 24X have less resolution (more simple)... but then does the 6Lx0E trans need the higher resolution to work?

You can seg swap around from the 4L60E to the 4L80E to a Manual trans fairly easily. I am pretty sure the early early Trailblazer (01/02 aera) used the E38, pretty sure all had ETC. I do not know enough about the computer and segment swapping for anything more.

All I got.

·
nulty_23
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its more than likely going to be a Gen III 6.0 since i dont want to have to deal with AFM, so going with the 4l80e would be the easiest swap for the trans than the six speed

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Its more than likely going to be a Gen III 6.0 since i dont want to have to deal with AFM, so going with the 4l80e would be the easiest swap for the trans than the six speed

If you are doing a swap of a motor/trans it will be easy as fuck.

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
If you are doing a swap of a motor/trans it will be easy as fuck.
:word: this will be the easiest and you will still love the results

·
nulty_23
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I do the swap will I still be able to keep the instant, average econ features with the 6.0

·
nulty_23
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry about that but yeah with the 4l80e and 6.0

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
What gains are you expecting from this swap? Also, how much is it going to cost? OK, how much is it really going to cost? And why do you feel the need to do the swap?

These are important questions which need to be addressed :imo

·
nulty_23
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What gains are you expecting from this swap? Also, how much is it going to cost? OK, how much is it really going to cost? And why do you feel the need to do the swap?

These are important questions which need to be addressed :imo
Im looking at getting more power and hopefully a little better economy my truck has 170,000 on it so i figured why not...

I found a 06 6.0 with 35,478 miles on it for 1,000 and a 4l80e for 800 with 60,173 miles not a bad price imo

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
4.027:1 + 3.73:1's = some fucking fun
:word: I'd love to have a 1st gear like that, that :gasp: doesn't fall flat on it's face in 2nd.

On a side note, I don't know current prices of the L76 vs the L92, but keep your eyes peeled for either one. 6.2 swap would be great if the price difference wasn't much. I know a little while back most places were wanting an arm and a leg for those 6.2s though. :nonojest:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.