GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got my Fox coilovers installed today and finally have the truck at the ride height I've wanted forever, so thought I'ld make this thread since I see people talking about getting replacement coilovers all the time but there's no thread for it. I'm no tech guru but here it is anyways...

The following info is for true 6" NNBS kits, so thats Zone, Superlift, Pro Comp, BDS etc.

What I Used:
Fox 2.0 Emulsion coilovers, normal valving. 8.5" travel (approx $450 for both)
Eibach 2.5" ID, 16" length, 750lb springs ($200)
GMR NNBS coilover mounts ($120)

-I went with 2.0s instead of 2.5s for the price, also its only a half ton and is mostly street driven, only occasionally taken off road so 2.0s suited my needs fine. I did 750lb rate on the springs after talking to Jason at GMR, who thought it would be a good fit. And the truck didnt collapse so I guess it works :crazy:

-A problem that came up was the bottom mount to the shocks was hitting the CV, so the shop machined a spacer to replace the one it came with. If you have 4WD, GMR mounts and Fox 2.0s will require modifying like you see in the pics. 2WD guys obviously wouldnt have these problems, also its gonna vary shock to shock, IIRC Jameson didn't have a problem with FOA and I know for sure King makes long, skinny eyelets available on theirs.

Angles:

Overview

Bumpstop, still plenty of room. Note the indents from when I was on the maxed out angles :uhoh:

Tie rod, still pretty good. I plan on upgrading to heims later on anyways so that will correct the angle back to factory.

Upper ball joint

Bottom of coilover clearance to CV after modification

Pic showing coil spring compression with weight of truck

Amount of cranking, I'ld say at my current height its about halfway cranked.

Both CV angles (inclined, not level surface)

And a little tease until I take some real pics and detail the truck, 9" lift, 33s. 46.5 front, 45.5 (fender measurements) :D

Results/Review:
The truck rides great, definitely an improvement over stock. I took some relatively new railroad tracks at 50mph and the ride was still pretty smooth. I'm cranked 1.5" over what the superlift gave me. :imo my angles arent bad at all, I could probably go up a little more but I love the height/proportion. For 8" lift guys, Jason can always make longer mounts if you dont want to go up to a 10" travel coil over. Thanks to Jason at GMR for all the help.

Enjoy :endofshow

·
Registered
97 Posts
very nice!!!

Is it just me, or does it seem like the bottom bolt on the coilovers could be designed better? I guess using a grade 8 or higher it would be ok, but...

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Looks fucking sick man....

BTW Jason offset my mounts by an inch or so to clear my CV's. The brand doesnt matter :D.

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks fucking sick man....
BTW Jason offset my mounts by an inch or so to clear my CV's. The brand doesnt matter :D.
I guess they just need to tell Jason to make them a 4WD set. I like these though, they're real clean and arent very noticeable.

Thanks for all the kind words guys :shake:

·
Yea its all black....
382 Posts
Very nice, that's super trick.

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're truck is tits man. I love it and I'm not much for that whole CenCal big lift little tires look, but I like how you have it set up.
Its not quite cen cal.... I dont have 20x12s :crazy:

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Looks pretty good will! You need to gett under that thing with a rag and clean her up. Take some of that tax refund and get yourself some 20x12's!

·
MILF lover
4,086 Posts
damn man. this makes me want to do the fox shock and coilovers whenever i get my 6 inch lift. thats really amazing. hopefully i remember this thread down the road so i can refer back to it and copy the same setup.

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:biggrin:
:bird:

Hey Will you gunna jump this bitch at pismo this weekend? Your set with all the fox shocks.:crazy:
:secret: JK

Looks pretty good will! You need to gett under that thing with a rag and clean her up. Take some of that tax refund and get yourself some 20x12's!
Yeah Im gonna touch up the paint on the CVs and what not this weekend, I usually just keep a bottle of degreaser nearby and it makes it pretty easy to clean the powder. The tax refund I bought a handgun and the rest of it went to truck payment

damn man. this makes me want to do the fox shock and coilovers whenever i get my 6 inch lift. thats really amazing. hopefully i remember this thread down the road so i can refer back to it and copy the same setup.
thanks, just subscribe and it should save the thread for you in your CP

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.