GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so sick of the chrome on my NNBS black silverado that it is time to either paint or replace this crap!

I have seen a bunch of posts saying that "no, you cant paint over chrome, it will never last", yet i have seen some folks do it.

can anybody for sure tell me if painting of chromed metal (ie bumpers) will last, and what is the correct way to do it? also, how much can i expect to pay, if it is possible?

on that note - if it isn't feasable to do it in a enduring method, does anybody know if the NBS (like a 06, etc) silverado w/t bumper will bolt up to the NNBS? i would just as soon buy one of those and have it paint matched over the plastic part and then bolt that up. i really dont want a rollpan, even know they are available for the NNBS.

i can replace all the front chrome pieces through GM, albeit its gonna cost over $500 for just the parts!

thanks for any help or suggestions!

todd

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
You have to sand the chrome with like an 800 grit paper, prime it, and paint and clear it just as you would anything else.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MOST shops wont paint over chrome just because of the risk of it peeling. The only way Ill do it is no warrenty at all.

thats what makes me just wanna seek an alternative method of ditching the chrome.....

thanks for the input guys.

todd

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
iam definatly willing to trade straight up, but does the NBS bumper bolt up the same to the NNBS?

thanks!

todd

·
Rollin' in the BIG HOG
1,316 Posts
iam definatly willing to trade straight up, but does the NBS bumper bolt up the same to the NNBS?

thanks!

todd
The W/T packaged on the NNBS trucks come with NO chrome as well. I believe that is what he is talking about. You just have to find one of these trucks and then it would be a direct bolt in swap.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The W/T packaged on the NNBS trucks come with NO chrome as well. I believe that is what he is talking about. You just have to find one of these trucks and then it would be a direct bolt in swap.
ahhh, that is excellent help. looks like i found the solution! thanks guys!

todd

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, i looked at a nnbs w/t today, actually a few of em', and they all had the nasty chrome bumpers! that sucks! well i might just get the rollpan then.

however, i did convince the sales manager to let me trade my chrome front end for a w/t's plastic black front end. ill just simply have it painted and not have to worry about painting chrome! win win situation.

todd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts