GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I'm wanting...

-Double Din Head Unit w/ XM, steering wheel, back-up camera compatibility
-2-10's or 2-12's in a downfiring box under the seats so I can still flip the seats up and throw groceries in the back.
-Budget is around the $700-800 mark, MAYBE the $1000 mark as it is going to be a gift.

I am a total noob when it comes to stereo stuff, so I need y'alls input on the best set-up for quality in-cab sound. I'm not into competition, just want a good clean bass while listening to my rock/occasional rap, so hit me with some ideas!

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
My vote is on a pair of Sundown SA10's and an SAX-1200d for $765 and a box from Subthump.com. Don't forget you need wiring also. HU wise, so many to choose from its a personal preference almost.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Subthump prefab box-120ish
Alpine type e 10's-160ish
Alpine mrp-m500-150
Base model pioneer hu-300 or so
The xm deal for that head unit will probly be about 120
Gmos01-100
Steering wheel control adaptor-100
Amp wiring kit-50
That'll be a good solid system for your purposes. 1100 total but you'll be happy with it I promise. You may just want to go with one 10 though if you're not really wanting a lot of bass

·
Registered
249 Posts
Anyone purchase a subthump box.. a good sounding box? was shipping a bitch?

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
I've been wanting to get a good answer on that question too. Alot of people have them so they can't be too bad.
I've only seen 1 in person, build quality looked fine. That's as far as I can comment on them from personal experience, I haven't seen anything bad from other people.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think I am going to build my own box. I like doing that and frankly I enjoy my garage smelling like MDF! haha There is nothing better than the smell of new eletronics in your truck.. the smell of subs in the morning!! haha

I want to raise my back seat (crew cab) and I am having a hard time finding info on how to 1. remove the back part of the seat and 2. how to raise - is it just bolted to the floor so I need longer bolts or is there a post coming out of the floor board..

I'm thinking just a bolt so a longer bolt will be fine. Maybe raise it a total of 1 inch..

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It's just like 5 18mm nuts on the bottom of the seat brackets in my 09 cc and then pull straight up and then they'll come out. There is some hook kinda deal to hold em to the back of the cab. Then you can just stack washers on the bolts.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Know what's better than MDF, plywood :) Not the smell, the quality of the end product.

Can you maybe explain what the benefits of plywood is over MDF?

12 year olds build systems from plywood. There is None sound definition from plywood. Out of all the shops I've worked out.. plywood was like the thing you did when you had nothing to work with when you were 12 and you're trying to make a home stereo system for your bike.. haha

Sorry. No plywood here.

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
Can you maybe explain what the benefits of plywood is over MDF?

12 year olds build systems from plywood. There is None sound definition from plywood. Out of all the shops I've worked out.. plywood was like the thing you did when you had nothing to work with when you were 12 and you're trying to make a home stereo system for your bike.. haha

Sorry. No plywood here.
How about pine plywood is 2x stronger than MDF, and birch plywood is 4x stronger. I'd put money on the fact that you've never built 2 identical boxes out of different woods, then done critical listening or an RTA to the box to see this "sound definition". I know I can build a box out of MDF and build the SAME box out of pine plywood that COSTS LESS and weighs less and gain 1.5-2 dB. This applies to my single 8" box as well as large boxes.

MDF is what you use when you know think you know all there is to know about box building without actually testing things, or you want to sand and paint it with minimal effort.

We all agree flex in a box is bad, yes? Prove it to yourself. Go lift a sheet of MDF from the long side and watch it bend. Now go pick up the same thickness of pine plywood, even in the worst grade there is that will cost significantly less, do the same, it won't bend.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think the reason they use mdf is for the consistency of it. plywood isnt as consistent and has more defects. More predictable and easier to work with. I have heard boxes made of both and they both get down, but then again my ears arent thatt precise.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Lets clarify, Plywood, as in birch/hardwood. not some OSB someone snatched off the side of an outhouse or an old roof. Most people get the wrong Idea when you say plywood. I definitely agree with what Ive heard with lack of flex in the plywood over mdf, and there is a weight difference for sure. My next box that I intend on keeping for an extended period of time will definitely be plywood, though if not too concerned with weight, or extreme output, or in a small application like behind/under a seat, plywood is not super beneficial.

I love the smell of fiberglass in the morning, I fiberglass the insides of my boxes just for the aroma, the acoustical benefit is just a bonus :p

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sorry I came across I knew what I was doing. I don't really. I just build boxes for fun. SO yeah no testing. When you say plywood, infact I was thinking of that 1/2 pressed, glued together crap. I wasn't even thinking that was plywood. That makes sense.

I should have worded that different and I just wanted to say sorry for that. You put me in my place and I apologize.

Fiberglass does smell good.. and I bet the pine plywood does too. Smelling MDF just smells like stereo stuff.. hard to explain.. I smell it and immediately thing.. high end stereo - subs...

My neighbor is helping me build a box for this 10" woofer he gave me. It's an Pioneer Championship Series Premier. I personally don't like Pioneer.. but it's free and I'll try this. I've never had a slot ported box as well. So we will see how this work today. AMP will be in tomorrow. If I don't like the set up.. I'm going to buy a Sundown 8".

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
I think the reason they use mdf is for the consistency of it. plywood isnt as consistent and has more defects. More predictable and easier to work with. I have heard boxes made of both and they both get down, but then again my ears arent thatt precise.
Plywood is just as consistent, that's called "quality control". If you're referring to knots in the wood, then you should consider what plywood you're looking at. BC grade may have knots and other less than desirable visual defects, but an AB grade you can stain and look great. That's even in pine, the cheap stuff. Around me, AB grade pine plywood is $8/sheet less than MDF. Even oak plywood is within a few bucks of MDF and 4x stronger, with a tad less weight, and visually more appealing than MDF in terms of finish.

Lets clarify, Plywood, as in birch/hardwood. not some OSB someone snatched off the side of an outhouse or an old roof. Most people get the wrong Idea when you say plywood. I definitely agree with what Ive heard with lack of flex in the plywood over mdf, and there is a weight difference for sure. My next box that I intend on keeping for an extended period of time will definitely be plywood, though if not too concerned with weight, or extreme output, or in a small application like behind/under a seat, plywood is not super beneficial.

I love the smell of fiberglass in the morning, I fiberglass the insides of my boxes just for the aroma, the acoustical benefit is just a bonus :p
It hadn't occurred to me the possible confusion of plywood and OSB. OSB isn't as strong as plywood, but also consider that even OSB subfloor is rated to be walked on with 24" studs. Applications with thin wood would be even more beneficial with plywood because you need it as strong as possible from reduced thickness.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I wasn't really referencing thin wood, more the overall thickness of the box itself. I'm sure osb would be fun to try to finish out and look decent Haha, seems like itd flake too bad, birch is only like 8 bucks more a sheet here.

As far as the pioneer, free is free Haha can't beat it. The sundown would definitely suit you well If it doesn't meet your needs.

·
Pinoy Pride
12 Posts
I have a cc 1500, with pro box under back seat down fire, 2 JL audio w1 v2 12, 300 watt each with a JL j2 360.2 bridged amp. I still have my factory deck cause i wanna keep the steering wheel contron and bluetooth, i kinda like the factory deck so i kept it. Love the sound the best sub and box set up for a cc imo. Btw i have to keep the bass on neg gain hits pretty hard.

·
Pinoy Pride
12 Posts
the Pro Box is fitted for the truck and also has bed spray liner over the whole box giving it a full sealed box plus 30% more bass because of the flexibility.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Make sure you pay attention the dark green speaker output. There are 2 dark greens. I had the pin upside down and connected to the wrong green. Truck would not even try to do anything when I tried to start the truck. It would say service air bag and a LOCK icon on the dash and that was it. No other lights.. no nothing. Traced it that and works fine now! haha I think its pins 2-9 and 3-10 for speaker front output.. (using a LOC)

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
the Pro Box is fitted for the truck and also has bed spray liner over the whole box giving it a full sealed box plus 30% more bass because of the flexibility.
This doesn't make any sense at all. The box should be sealed without the liner, if it's not, it's a POS. 30% more bass than what? How can it be quantitative even to itself with several variables? If you're saying the liner makes it 30% louder because it's flexible, then that is just plain wrong. If anything it would be at least 30% quieter and muddy because flex is bad.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts