GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to drop my 08 4x4 Silverado a little bit. I was thinking 2/4 but really haven't had any experience with drops at all. I was thinking a Mcgaughy's kit but really have no idea what I need. I'm guessing drop spindles and rear leafs? Where would be a good place to buy it from?

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
You'll need spindles up front and a flip kit + lift hanger for the back. Mcgaughys makes it.

You could do leafs, but they're really expensive.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll need spindles up front and a flip kit + lift hanger for the back. Mcgaughys makes it.

You could do leafs, but they're really expensive.
Do you have any pictures or links to these kits?
How will the ride be with the flip kit? I don't think I will want a C notch.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Do you have any pictures or links to these kits?
How will the ride be with the flip kit? I don't think I will want a C notch.
The flip kit rides great, exactly like stock and I can still tow. Its actually 4 or 5 inches depending on where you put the holes.

I'm at work and can't get to my photobucket right now, but I've posted several pics of the hanger in a few different NNBS lowering threads lately. Search posts made by me

·
1,847 Posts
I think someone is selling a ground force kit in the for sale section for a nnbs. Check it out and see.

Honestly, I would do a lift....but thats me

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The flip kit rides great, exactly like stock and I can still tow. Its actually 4 or 5 inches depending on where you put the holes.

I'm at work and can't get to my photobucket right now, but I've posted several pics of the hanger in a few different NNBS lowering threads lately. Search posts made by me
Yours looks good. Do you have air bags too oD just flip kit with stock springs? You just run the axle on the top side of leaf springs with different hanger?
Does the axle ever hit the frame like that?

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Yours looks good. Do you have air bags too oD just flip kit with stock springs? You just run the axle on the top side of leaf springs with different hanger?
Does the axle ever hit the frame like that?
It just relocates the leaf springs to the bottom of the axle for 7" of drop, then the lift hanger brings it back up either 2 or 3 inches depending on the setting. So 4 or 5 inches total.

No you'll cut the whole bumpstop bracket off, you have nearly as much clearance at 4" with the bracket cut than you do stock. I've never bottomed out.

You'll need drop shocks too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It just relocates the leaf springs to the bottom of the axle for 7" of drop, then the lift hanger brings it back up either 2 or 3 inches depending on the setting. So 4 or 5 inches total.

No you'll cut the whole bumpstop bracket off, you have nearly as much clearance at 4" with the bracket cut than you do stock. I've never bottomed out.

You'll need drop shocks too.
Your still able to tow and put weight in box? My truck his so heavily modified that I won't probably be able to tow but still may haul some light loads from home depot and lowe's etc.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Your still able to tow and put weight in box? My truck his so heavily modified that I won't probably be able to tow but still may haul some light loads from home depot and lowe's etc.
Yes at 4" in the back, you'll be perfectly fine, just cut the bumpstop bracket and install some short pancake ones. That's the good thing about using the stock leafs. I tow a 17.5' bass boat with my hanger at 5" and never had a problem.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes at 4" in the back, you'll be perfectly fine, just cut the bumpstop bracket and install some short pancake ones. That's the good thing about using the stock leafs. I tow a 17.5' bass boat with my hanger at 5" and never had a problem.
What brand kit are you running?

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
I sent them an email. I'm assuming it is Tims suspension?
Mine is a 4x4 will that matter? Do you have 2" drop spindles or 3"?
They only make 2" drop spindles, and in a 4x4 application it's reccommended that you only go 2" up front due to CV angles. I think some guys have done 3/5 but I'd play it safe.

Yes that's him. You might want to send him a PM that way he gets it right when he gets on next time?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have s 3/7 on my 08 4x4 but I have the mcg helper bags and air it up to 6" in the rear. Rides awesome and can tow whatever I want. I have spindles and a 1" spring in the front and the flip kit with helper bags in the rear.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got a PM from Tim's suspension here is what he said my options were:

Spindles, flip kit, lift hanger.

Spindles, 2" leafs, 2" Shackles

Spindles, 4" drop leafs

Which ones do I do? I want a good ride and may still want to put weight in the box from time to time.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have mine 3 in the front and aired to 6 in the rear with helper bags and rides just as good as stock if not better. I love the ride and can haul whatever I want with it. Do a 3/6 you wont regret it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts