GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im wanting to do an engine swap in my 08 rcsb, my truck currently has the weak ass 4.3 . I need someone to school me on the engine swap. I would like to have a 5.3 or 6.0. Is this a hard swap to do? Im looking at engines on ebay and will any 5.3 or 6.0 fit?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Those are the two easiest swaps you can do as they are both offered in that chassis. I would say go all the way with the 6.0 because besides needing a better tranny you will have to do the exact same stuff whether you go 5.3 or 6.0 they require the same stuff and 6.0 rcsb are rare and FAST.

·
Registered
102 Posts
if you really wanna go all out get the new 6.2 a bit harder than 6.0 but not much,.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really just want a v8, I dont want to do any engine mods except maybe a cold air intake and an exhaust. will any year 6.0 fit my truck. I can get one from a 05 silvy right now for around $900. Can this swap easily be done in a days time?

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
A 6.2 is just going to be alot more expensive compaired to a 6.0. I would just go with the 6.0 because it has plenty of horse power as a stock motor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
He never said price was an option haha.

Ya 6.0 definitely your best bet and 900$ running with wiring manifolds and all the good stuff is a deal. And a full 24 hours yes I don't know about 12 hours. If this is your first go around at it I would highly doubt 12 hours would be possible but I have never done it to one of these trucks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a 6.2 would be nice but it is out of the question, too expensive. id would buy a 6.0 if I knew it would be a simple swap.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What do you mean by simple? This isnt like bolting on a catback exhaust or uploading a tune into your truckj from a superchip. But this isn't as bad as rebuilding a whole motor or transmission.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Id like to be able to do it over a weekend, my only other method of transportation is my harley. The only thing that really scares me is the wiring of new engine. What 6.0's will work on an NNBS.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A weekend is feasable if you have help and the right equipment and tools. I am not sure about the 6.0s that will fit as they are all the same block since they were introduced.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
from what I can tell on ebay, the 6.0 you need depends on your vin number. some of them will say vin code t or some shit like that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can't answer that. All I can think of is different body styles to make it easier for install you would want one that came out of a NNBS HD or vmax but thats all I can tell you. Might have to do with transmission there are a lot of factors but I dont think there are many differnt 6.0s check out what the vin code means you can decode vins somewhere on here or google or Fullsizechevy I think has something too.

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
a good investment would be a book on ls1/gen III motors, also when you swap take a grip of pictures on your digital camera that way you know how you unbolted your transmission, fuel lines, etc. while you may be able to do the swap in a weekend, it doesnt mean the truck will run, it could but im just saying be prepared to have a back up ride.

·
Registered
102 Posts
also get it tuned by justin at blackbearperformance.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts