GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been searching for about an hour now and haven't found what I was looking for. I am about to install a Fabtech lift on my brother-in-law's truck. It is an 07 Sierra NNBS 4wd. Right now it has the stock 17s and 285 Terra Grapplers on it. He is itching to get the lift put on but can't afford the tires and wheels yet. The instructions say that you have to run the supplied 1/4" spacer to run the stock spare. If I put 1/4" wheel spacers on the front can he run the 285s and stock 17s or are they going to rub somewhere and cause a problem since they are 285s. I remember Gossennator ran 37s on the stock 20s, but wasn't sure if he had wheel spacers, or if it made a difference between the 20s and 17s, or how he did it. I have been searching and trying to find something that said what he had but haven't found anything. Anyone know if this will work?

I called Fabtech earlier and the guy said they might fit but the might not. That helped a lot!

And can anyone tell me what size socket it takes for the front axle nut is? For some reason 1-3/8" is sticking in my head.

·
Go Big or Go home
523 Posts
to be on the safe side i woudl run a 1.5" spacer thats what me and my buddys order for our stock 17's

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to be on the safe side i woudl run a 1.5" spacer thats what me and my buddys order for our stock 17's
Where is the rubbing problem with them without the spacers. Is it on the upper control arms when you turn, or the knuckle all the time, or ??????

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else? He doesn't want to spend the money on 1.5" spacers if he doesn't have to and the 1/4" spacers will give the clearance he needs.

·
Registered
880 Posts
It rubs on the Knuckle when I run my stocks 17s I have to put a 1.5 or 2" spacer not shure witch one of the 2. Which one but I think 1.5 would b good. They don't stick out to much tho.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
20s will definitely make a difference over 17s because there will be more clearance over the knuckles.
I saw this 1/4" spacer you are referring too when I was doing my kit... i really find it hard to believe that that tiny ass little spacer pushes the wheel out far enough to run a stock 17" wheel.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys! I couldn't ever get an answer out of Fabtech on whether it would rub the knuckle or just the control arms or what. I will tell him to either get some 1.5" spacers or wait until he gets his tires and wheels.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Best bet is to wait imo. Some would argue its fine and that they have done it for years... but something kinda bothers me about running spacers on the wheels you steer with, but that's just me

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best bet is to wait imo. Some would argue its fine and that they have done it for years... but something kinda bothers me about running spacers on the wheels you steer with, but that's just me
I agree with you there. That is why my lift is sitting in the garage until I can afford tires and wheels. But I have tried to tell him and he is just itching to get it on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts