GMC Truck Forum banner

NNBS factory upgrade questions

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Javage 
#1 ·
I just got a 07 NNBS and im looking to add a couple of things to the interior.

First is the factory remote start. I have the code AP8 and have read if I have that then I am compatible with the upgrade. I also found the part# 17801236 which looks to be 2 remotes. Now anyone have any info on what has to be reprogrammed and if my local gm service can/will do the reprogram?

Also I was wondering if anyone has upgraded the a/c controls that are not dual zone to the digital dual zone controls? I would love to have that option as my wife is always cold and im always hot. I haven't found any info on this yet, so any info or links would be great if it can actually be done.

Also going to add the new steering wheel with audio and DIC but looks like that info is easily found.

#2 ·
I would think you would need to get the computer flashed for the remote start and a dealership can definitely do it. I think it's around $100 though. Not sure on the other things except the DIC which is a 5 minute install and steering wheel isn't to hard. I'm sure somebody else will know more about the stuff.

Edit:says VCI programming required...http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

check eBay u can get the oem key fob for about $20 vs. $150

#4 ·
I would think you would need to get the computer flashed for the remote start and a dealership can definitely do it. I think it's around $100 though. Not sure on the other things except the DIC which is a 5 minute install and steering wheel isn't to hard. I'm sure somebody else will know more about the stuff.

Edit:says VCI programming required...http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

check eBay u can get the oem key fob for about $20 vs. $150
You need the whole kit, reciever AND key fob not just the fob, fob is useless without the remote start reciever.

You also need programming. I looked at it awhile back and it was around 300 total. I got my Viper 5701 alarm and remote start for 500. :shrug: for the extra range and security it's a no brainer.

And the dual zone climate control is NOT plug and play, it has sensors around the truck that didn't come with ours.

#9 ·
All came stock for me :D Remote start is definitely most useful. I live in California in the summer and Colorado in the winter so I have the worst of the worsts in weather and the remote start is a LIFE SAVER.

Dual zone is nice because it puts my gf in her place- she wants it hot, I like it like a meat locker. And audio controls are nice but I wouldn't spend too much on them

#10 ·
You need the whole kit, reciever AND key fob not just the fob, fob is useless without the remote start reciever.

Oh I was thinking by the way he said it that it was already set up for it and had the receiver. GMPD just shows the fob for that PN to so thats what made me post that.

After market can be found for a pretty cheap price w/ or w/o alarm. I think there's a few out there that are 150ish

#11 ·
Yeah, I thought the same thing I was thinking for 20 on eBay and programming I can have remote start but I went by the dealer and they pulled that part number and it has a bunch of stuff other than the fob....... I don't see why they wouldn't just include the option to upgrade on every truck :shrug:

#12 ·
Why not get an alarm with remote start?

I have an audiovox Alarm/Remote Start/Turbo Timer... pretty cheap really.

#13 ·
Save you're money on the OEM remote start. It doesn't work like you'd expect it to. No matter how you set the climate control when you get out, it'll turn the air or heat on according to outside temperature. We get a lot of snow here. I use a remote start when I'm at work starting the truck 10-15 minutes before leaving so when I get out there, the window is clear and the truck is warm. First time it snowed I spent 10 minutes scraping the window, freezing my ass off. I now have, and always will have, an aftermarket remote start.

#14 ·
Save you're money on the OEM remote start. It doesn't work like you'd expect it to. No matter how you set the climate control when you get out, it'll turn the air or heat on according to outside temperature. We get a lot of snow here. I use a remote start when I'm at work starting the truck 10-15 minutes before leaving so when I get out there, the window is clear and the truck is warm. First time it snowed I spent 10 minutes scraping the window, freezing my ass off. I now have, and always will have, an aftermarket remote start.
I don't know because I don't have dual zone, but if it's freezing or snowing outside wouldn't it turn the heater on full blast? Or shouldn't it? :shrug:

#15 ·
It won't. That's what I was trying to explain. When the temp was around 15-20*, it turned my heater on low. And that was only after it had ran for a few minutes already. I wanted the defrost on, it turned on the vents. I'm telling you, it does what it wants. If you've got aftermarket, then you turn it to what you want, whether it's freezing cold air or heat, and when you remote start the truck, it does exactly that.

#16 ·
It won't. That's what I was trying to explain. When the temp was around 15-20*, it turned my heater on low. And that was only after it had ran for a few minutes already. I wanted the defrost on, it turned on the vents. I'm telling you, it does what it wants. If you've got aftermarket, then you turn it to what you want, whether it's freezing cold air or heat, and when you remote start the truck, it does exactly that.
:shake: I love my Viper 5701.

Shit is weird though, it should have heater AND defrost on full blast along with rear defog and heated mirrors on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.