GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Fender Measurements?
21,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FFR,

Ive tried to handle this via PMs/Emails/posts multiple times. Each time i was told "they must not be tight enough" or "installer error". This absolutely sent me into a white fiery rage. I've worked in customer service for over 10 years and i hate when someone doesn't back their own product or even try to help a customer. Yes they were part of the first ones you created/shipped. But they're still your product and i maybe expected too much from you regarding customer service.

The steering has been sloppy lately and i finally jacked the truck up and looked into it. I found what is in the video below, a worn heim or what appears to be some issue with the heim conversion.

[yt]izSjvvbWmdk[/yt]

As you can see something isn't right and is causing the truck to wander all over the road and be a bear to drive on the highway, safely.

After ordering new heim joints and removing the bolt and heim set up i discovered what the problem was.

You can see your bolt you sold with the kit is the complete wrong bolt for this type of set up. The collar needs to be longer to go through the whole heim, spacers and the other end to allow the nut to secure it. As you can see thats not the case here. Over time the heim itself wore into the threads and smashed them from repetitive abuse in your bolt you included. You can even see where the heim has threads in it from all the slop that was caused from the wrong bolt.

This is not a risk of breaking but a definite risk of dangerously wandering over the road at any rate of speed. I attempted to handle this privately to have you fix what seems to be a big oversight of the products used in your production but you brushed me off as an owner/mechanic with zero knowledge. Im posting this to hope you can publicly fix this issue and to inform others who have purchased your product to be on the lookout. If your truck wanders all over the road and you have any FFR product, id be alarmed and would bet you have this same issue. Using the wrong type of bolt on something with such importance as steering and mass producing them, advertising them to me is inexcusable and I sincerely hope you change this and use the proper bolts to ensure the safety of your customers and to back your product.

·
HUNTING
941 Posts
you should link to their site so people know who not to buy from. i had no idea who FFR fabrication is.

http://go.ffrfabrication.com/chevy-heavy-duty-tie-rods.html

even on this page of their product picture you can see they are selling the wrong bolt with their product.

you should post your fix as well and where and what size heim you got and what size bolt/type you replaced your worn/wrong one with as well.

·
boogity boogity
995 Posts
FFR must have changed their design because mine have the correct bolt and look a little different than yours. Hopefully they get this fixed for you Sam, I have only dealt with the buying process and nothing concerning customer service so I can not comment on that topic.

·
boogity boogity
995 Posts
Hmm I'm going to take mine off tonight and see what the deal is, in could have swore they had a shoulder long enough to make it through the heim.

·
i like interco
3,269 Posts
On the ffr note, they're a Fab company this should have never happened.

BTW it didn't occur to you that the heim would smash the threads down after awhile? I'm just curious because whenever I saw the kit I don't think I'd have been comfortable putting it on initially.

·
Fender Measurements?
21,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the ffr note, they're a Fab company this should have never happened.

BTW it didn't occur to you that the heim would smash the threads down after awhile? I'm just curious because whenever I saw the kit I don't think I'd have been comfortable putting it on initially.
FFR installed them on this truck initially. I never saw it being installed so i cant answer that.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
hmm ill have to check mine

·
Fender Measurements?
21,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's dissapointing ... Any update?

No update besides we bought new bolts and instead of grinding the bolt head thinner were taking it to our neighbors at work who are a machine shop. Have them lathe it down for us then install over the weekend. But testing the bolt into the new heim is 0 slop.

·
GMC Owner
2,634 Posts
I'm sorry Sam but I disagree, and have to back up what ffr said about not being tight enough. As with any heim joint or bushing, the mounting brackets around it need to be tightened sufficiently so the mount clamps onto the heim, that way the heim will turn in its housing as it was designed to do. By having it loose and sliding on the bolt the heim was not working as intended and instead your steering was pivoting on the bolt, hence why it wore down the threads.

As an example of this my factory shock bolts are threaded completely through, but it makes no difference because when you tighten them, the shock tabs squeeze down on the shock bushing collar and now the bolt is only being used as a clamping force, there is no wear on the threads of the bolt or in my shock bushings, and I had my rear shocks off just yesterday for inspection.

·
Fender Measurements?
21,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It took over 140ftlbs of torque to break the bolt loose. There is zero chance these are loose.

Nice try though

New bolt has zero slop with 100ftlbs of torque. It's the wrong type of bolt period. And their lack of support is appalling. Your factory shocks are also inside of a crush sleeve and pinched between the shock pocket. Different situation entirely.

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
this is why you don't buy garbage. i ran my total chaos shit into the GROUND and never had any problem with anything remotely close to this. this "fab shop" sounds like they need to get their act together. i would post this on dezertrangers and see what they have to say about it.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Ummm maybe fix it missed the fact FFR is the one that installed them... I'd like to hope the manufacture can install their own product with out installer error.

Not trying to bash ffr ...but its disappointing to see the lack of customer service.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts