GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my dads truck i've been trying to figure out how to keep the fogs on with highs. I ran a wire from 85 on the highs to 85 on the fogs and nothing. I've ran it for all possible combinations and nothing. What i'm i doing wrong? :think: I've search but with the suckness factor of the search feature and my ability i've got nothing.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
When I swap to OEM foglights I'm going to do HIDs too.

I'm running a relay for my headlights, with the passengers side activating the relay to power both headlight ballasts. Then ill get another relay for the foglight HIDs and let the drivers side headlight activate the relay to drive both fog ballasts.

That way, I won't even have to switch them on, they are automatic like the headlights.

And high beams are independent so they can be turned on and off without effecting fogs.

Only downside is they won't be able to be turned on by themselves, but that's no big deal to me.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Point is, you could run a relay using stock lighting and use the headlights to activate the relay, making fogs come on. It doesn't have to be hid's.

·
Jackson Action
90 Posts
So on my dads truck i've been trying to figure out how to keep the fogs on with highs. I ran a wire from 85 on the highs to 85 on the fogs and nothing. I've ran it for all possible combinations and nothing. What i'm i doing wrong? :think: I've search but with the suckness factor of the search feature and my ability i've got nothing.
I have a harness that keeps the fogs and lows on when you turn the high and i have HID on the three. That drives mad every car coming on the highway :).

I think is Painless the brand

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
you dont run a wire...you use a diode :suicide2:

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
So you're powering 4 ballasts off of your stock wiring? Do they ever not fire due to low current?

I'm wondering if one relay would be enough to power 4 ballasts for me....

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
stupid question, but why wouldn't a wire work? i had some diodes but i lost them.
because a diode lets signal in a certain direction...kinda like a check valve, a diode blocks the signal one way and lets it thru the other way. With a wire your accomplishing nothing but a dead short.

Diode allows electric current in one direction, the silver line down on diode indicates the direction of transference, since the silver line refers to the negative pole. So that means that the diode has polarity

those relays work off of ground. They ground the fogs when the brights are on. By using a diode you are blocking that signal. With a wire your doing nothing but ensuring its turning off.

·
Banned
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
because a diode lets signal in a certain direction...kinda like a check valve, a diode blocks the signal one way and lets it thru the other way. With a wire your accomplishing nothing but a dead short.

Diode allows electric current in one direction, the silver line down on diode indicates the direction of transference, since the silver line refers to the negative pole. So that means that the diode has polarity
well that makes sense. thank you jb. what # diode do i need again?

·
Banned
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so is this still going to allow the fogs to be turned off? or will they be on all the time when the headlights are on?

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
so is this still going to allow the fogs to be turned off? or will they be on all the time when the headlights are on?
Yes, as long as your highs are off.

You wont be able to turn the fogs off once the highs are on.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
ya the other thread was for 03-07 classic and they were doing 4hi plus fogs using 2 diodes..you should be fine.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
So is this on a nnbs that you can do this. I would like to do this to mine, so what would i need exactly and how would i do it.

·
Banned
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so this is how i have it ran and nothing is happening. I've got the diode in and i have turned it around both ways and get nothing.

ignore the shitty looking electrical tape, it is sodered underneath it.
0317091524.gif

0317091525.gif

according to the relays i have it in the "85" spot correct?
0317091529a.gif

0317091530.gif

·
Super trash and proud
1,921 Posts
I'm lazy and wired mine up with one of those Mr.taillight kits. No one seemed to know how to do it on the nnbs back when I was wanting it, and I didn't feel like messing around tryin to figure it out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts