GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
NNBS Owner
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im new to the forum and im just wondering if there is any other options of lowering the rear of my 09 extended cab for a 4 in drop without a flipkit or lowering leafs...shackles and removing block is 3 in but is there any type of just hangers or anything i can get that extra inch of drop out of????PLEASE HELP

·
NNBS Owner
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i dont really want to remove that overload leaf either...shit...where can i buy just the hangers and how do they work compared to the stock hangers i cant figure that out?? i have the 2 in shackles and block removed already by the way...

·
NNBS Owner
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i dont mind the flip kit but all i want is a 4 in drop and i dont really wanna have to change out the factory hangers becuase they look like a pain in the ass to remove because of those rivets...i wanna be able to change it back to stock if i need to so i dont really wanna mess up those factory hangers too...how do those lowering leafs ride and can you carry anykind of load with them??

·
NNBS Owner
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i have been researching the hangers...but what i cant figure out is are the hangers included with the 4 inch mcg flip kit the hangers on the front of the leaf springs or the back hangers where the shackles mount to??? sorry for all the questions im a newbie

·
To busy too care
281 Posts
The rivets are easy to remove. Grind the heads off and use an air hammer to push the rivets out. If you don't have an air hammer, use a regular hammer and a punch. Keep the old hangers so you can change it back to stock if you want.

and it's going to be the back hangers, not the front.

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
silveradodude can fill you in on this, he is running MCG hanger kit.

leaf springs from ground force are good, they are tested up to 1000 LBs of payload.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
shackles and hangers
Front hangers are welded on the NNBS, no changing them.

silveradodude can fill you in on this, he is running MCG hanger kit.

leaf springs from ground force are good, they are tested up to 1000 LBs of payload.
Yes I am running the 4 or 5 inch adjustable Mcgaughys rear kit. It is a flip kit plus a lift hanger in the rear. It uses the stock shackle flipped around. There are 2 sets of holes on the hanger to net either a 4 or 5 inch drop.
I bought the kit from Tim on here (preferred vendor) and it came with the flip kit and the hanger for the rear. I used a cut off wheel to grind X's in the heads of the rivets and an air hammer to push them out, but a grinder would have been easier. It really wasn't THAT bad, just time consuming. Here are a few pics of the hagner set at 5 inches.

IMG00019.gif

IMG00020.gif

And these pics of the truck are acutally the hanger at 4" out back, Ive since moved it down to 5. Oh and the front is a 2 inch Mcgaughys spindle.

DSCN1086.gif

DSCN1088.gif

DSCN1089.gif

DSCN1092.gif

DSCN1096.gif

DSCN1095.gif

DSCN1103.gif

DSCN1098.gif

DSCN1101.gif

DSCN1091.gif

·
NNBS Owner
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks alot man that helps alot...thats proly the way im gonna go...if i go with spindles for the front and i get a flat tire am i just screwed since you have to use a 17+ wheel?? im pretty positive its not a full size spare right?. im thinkin of goin with the belltech struts for a 2 in drop? any experience with those?? thanks a bunch for the help guys

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
thanks alot man that helps alot...thats proly the way im gonna go...if i go with spindles for the front and i get a flat tire am i just screwed since you have to use a 17+ wheel?? im pretty positive its not a full size spare right?. im thinkin of goin with the belltech struts for a 2 in drop? any experience with those?? thanks a bunch for the help guys
No you have a 17" spare. They're 245 70 17.

I always shy away from those because I didn't trust them after 50,000 or 60,000 miles to not blow out or sag and have alignment issues. I drive my truck almost 30,000 miles a year and I just wanted 2" up front and 5" out back so I went with a spindle. Virtually no settling of the suspension to worry about.

Keep in mind I'm not basing that on experience, I was just being cautious. I think spindles are the way to go if you're only doing 2".

·
NNBS Owner
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea that was my concern with them too but since my spare is a 17 spindles are definately the way to go...thanks for the help man

1 - 20 of 47 Posts