GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched forever and couldn't get a clear answer, some threads said you had to bend the bars and could not really get a good fit..but here is a how-to for a perfect oem swap.

First is a driver side rear handle with a long metal arm

the next handle is a driver side Key Handle, with the short metal arm
75790188.jpg

69b309de.jpg

Next you want to pull the white Pin out, it slides easy if it is still new and greasy, my older handle was a little tougher.
pinch in the end of the pin and slide out. You may have to pinch ends right before it comes out, because it has to clear through the other side.
48badf6c.jpg

ca4dec29.jpg

2256b6df.jpg

You will want to do the same thing on the keyed handle, this bracket will go back into place on the none keyholed handle, exactly the same way you took it out along with getting the spring back in the same place.
a977c23c.jpg

c811083c.jpg

I took my handle apart for paint, the little clip pulls straight out easily with some needle nose pliers.
85b155ed.jpg

4d5ccc65.jpg

Painted
1a60b6bd.jpg

and finally reinstall
9a689ab9.jpg

ca089da5.jpg

i removed my lock cylinder and also the arm connecting it to the lock mechanism so i didn't have it rattling inside my door

as you can tell it the lock is messed up from someone breaking in my truck :flame:

850ef446.jpg

·
chevy owner for life
184 Posts
darn it looks really good!!!
ok so you did it 'cause some bastard broke in to your truck? well that sucks!!!
but how did you cover the key hole?
this sound like a good idea!!!

·
MAG Autoworks
286 Posts
He used a different handle

·
Registered
656 Posts
Dam that looks good! I would do it but I'm leary of electronic failure of some sort or chinsy GM part breaking = not being able to get in without a door wedge or the slim jim that doesn't fit in my back pocket.

·
chevy owner for life
184 Posts
that's what I was thinking but he didn't mention it or did he???
so which handle would it fit? the one from the rear door?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's what I was thinking but he didn't mention it or did he???
so which handle would it fit? the one from the rear door?
Onstar. Just hope battery don't die. Lol

And yes. Driver rear door handle I used. Sanded it and painted it. Replacing key fob battery every 6 months so I don't have to worry about it.
I like it so much better already.

And yes I did it cause someone broke in and damaged my lock. Which is like 200 from gm plus you have to get a locksmith to key it. Aka build and put it together. Just for someone to break in again. Naw. I'll go keyless.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Dead battery....or door switch goes.....or fuse blows = yuckoooo onstar can't fix that noise lol. Just a thought next time could be a window instead of a door handle. But like I said looks great!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It honestly wouldnt make a difference to me. I still couldnt get it with that bad lock cylinder lol

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Dead battery....or door switch goes.....or fuse blows = yuckoooo onstar can't fix that noise lol. Just a thought next time could be a window instead of a door handle. But like I said looks great!
Yea I'd be scared to have no key hole.

·
Tuckin' Tire Static
3,914 Posts
Yea I'd be scared to have no key hole.
Word. I just got another handle for my pass door that had a key hole so it matches.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There is no way I would do that, my batt dies after only a few days. Looks good though. Whats your plan for if your battery does die?

·
2009 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71
4,791 Posts
Personally, I never understood why they started deleting lock cylinders.

I have had my remote die and my drivers door blocked by snow to the point it could not be opened.

I have had my battery die and prevent the trunk popper from working so that I could get to my jumper cables.

I would rather have my locks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts