GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 09 Silverado has the am/fm/single cd radio option. I've been researching upgrading to either an OE or aftermarket nav radio with rear camera. Besides being expensive, I understand the OE upgrade requires an added amplifier for my truck with no certainty it will work with full functionality.

I'm looking at the Avic X910BT aftermarket nav radio. Has anyone put one of these (or similar) in their NNBS truck? If so, are there modules available to retain onstar and xm. Are GM mounting adapters available?

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
where you at in socal ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
my friend put a factory screen in his 2008 silverado and had to add a aftermarket amp. the problem with the factory screen is it has to be unlocked and reprogrammed for your specific vehicle. big chain shops like car toys and such wont do this because the screen could be stolen. usually a private shop wuld have to unlock and reprogram it and even a lot of shops dont even know how so you just have to shop around. but the factory nav does sound really good in his truck now. but i have an alpine screen with navigation and i prefer it to the factory one. either way, your going to be spending a lot of money because of how much it costs to reprogram the factory screen and aftermarket screens are expensive

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Go aftermarket in every way.

To install a factory unit when you did not have the options, you will need to change the wiring of almost your entire audio system in addition to adding the amp. After paying for all of this and a new unit, you will have to go to the dealer and have it programmed/unlocked as described. What are you left with? Something with no expandability, no options, no upgrades, no DVD, no Video in Motion, no iPod, no RCAs, nothing.

When you install an aftermarket unit, there are modules to retain all of your factory options. OnStar is not a problem, but typically XM will not transfer and you will need to purchase the new tuner for your specific brand of aftermarket unit.

Here is the wiring harness I recommend from PAC, it's the OS-4.

In addition to that, you will also need a Dash Kit to mount the radio in your dash (the OS-4 also includes an antenna adapter). For a double-din Nav unit, the Metra part would be 95-3305.

As far as the XM goes, to take your Pioneer unit as an example, you would need a Pioneer XM Tuner. The part number for this would be the Pioneer GEX-P920XM. I will note that it is possible to use the same factory XM antenna to keep the truck looking the same by modifing the antenna connection.

I'm not a big Pioneer fan, especially after their last 2 years of fail Nav units, but that's just me.

Hope this answers some questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts