GMC Truck Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Will the same work for nbs? Also I read somewhere that nnbs front brakes are bigger than nbs cc brakes and are interchangeable. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for the information, that is extremely helpful! And yes it seems that all the parts needed for this conversion are now listed.

A moderator had to make this thread into a sticky.

Just so people can understand, I found a very well taken care of tahoe in the junkyard here, I got e-brake brackets, dust covers, caliper brackets and calipers with the rubber brake lines for $41.00 out the door. Even if you don't keep the calipers, auto part stores charge you a 36$ core charge on one caliper, just highlighting that!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm surprised a lot more people haven't jumped on this. I wonder if the OP can post any pics of the truck side to compare front a back brake size.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Its a 12.1 rear and 13 front. Mine care buried in 26" wheels so the look like 9" rotors lol.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I may have to look into this. I hate the rear drums. Those rotors are dwarfed by the 26" wheels. Lol.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So i have a question. Is there a rear brake upgrade kit available for the rear of what would be our donor vehicle? As in, something with larger rotors? Seems to be i remember folks using something like corvette rear rotors in place of their factory rear rotors on the NBS trucks. Maybe something like that would still work? It would be bad ass to upgrade the front brakes, and then get upgraded rear disc brakes instead of factory rear disc brakes.

I cant wait till my truck is paid off so i can actually have the money to do this sort of cool stuff!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I posted a full kit in the for sale section. Ready to bolt on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I hope its cool to dig up this thread.

I have a rear end that has the single piston calipers. Are the duals so much better that it would be worth me buying new dual piston calipers instead of using working singles I have?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I hope its cool to dig up this thread.

I have a rear end that has the single piston calipers. Are the duals so much better that it would be worth me buying new dual piston calipers instead of using working singles I have?
I changed out to a 02 14SF that had the dual calipers on the rear and let me say the breaking still sucks, I am now changing out to a hydro breaking system because the dual caliper didn't fix my problem like I would have hoped. Dont get me wrong it does stop the truck but if there was a O shit moment I dont think it would stop me in time. Even changed out new master thinking it was bad and still sucks. All new rotors, calipers, and pads all the way around.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Digging up and old thread.... I have access to a 2009 Tahoe donor vehicle. Do any of you guys that did this conversion know if I can use the setup off that truck?

·
07 NNBS
237 Posts
Im looking at doing this but its going to be a 2500 rear axle with 2500 calipers and rotors. I Found a place thatll fill and redrill the 2500 rotors for a 6 lug. You say you didnt have to mess with the proportioning valve or anything? I have an 07 brake drum 10 bolt im swapping out for a disc brake 14 bolt converted to 6 lug. Just trying to get this figured out.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks for the info here; I'll revive this thread. I just completed the conversion on my bagged 08 CCSB and it was super easy. It helped that I don't have parking brakes. As for the lines, all I did was use a bender on the old hard lines to put a 90 at the end and hook up my stainless steel hoses. I already had the rotors from my 02 Yukon Denali that I put a Wilwood BBK on so it was pretty inexpensive, less than $200.

IMG_8121.JPG

IMG_8122.JPG

IMG_8123.JPG

IMG_8124.JPG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone else done this swap? Thinking about doing it to my 2011 since I’ll upgrade to dual pistons in the rear. Also how’s it holding up?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Anyone else done this swap? Thinking about doing it to my 2011 since I’ll upgrade to dual pistons in the rear. Also how’s it holding up?
Mine was holding up fine, and then I did a Wilwood 16”/14” kit on it and now it’s awesome. I bought the kit for a NBS and it fit fine since the conversion on the rear was NBS and the fronts are the same except the brake hoses.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine was holding up fine, and then I did a Wilwood 16”/14” kit on it and now it’s awesome. I bought the kit for a NBS and it fit fine since the conversion on the rear was NBS and the fronts are the same except the brake hoses.
Thanks for the reply. I’m mostly looking to do this because I have drums in rears. Even tho I feel like my brakes work fine on my truck I hate the look of the drums in the rear so I came across this thread and they looked exactly what I wanted to do without have to spend a lot of money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Okay so got all the parts I need except parking brakes. I’m not worried about that right now. Hopefully everything goes good. This will also be going on an NNBS and it’s stock drum brakes in the rear (which I hate with a passion) I got my backing plates from a 2001 Tahoe and everything else new. There were like 6 of them in the junkyard lol. I went with powerstop drilled/slotted rotors and pads because I did the front ones 2 weeks ago so I want them to match. Before this I wanted to do the littleshop MFG kit for the nnbs but those are single piston and are from like an 80something el derado which I didn’t like at all. So I’m going with this instead.
275F1532-A81E-470F-8B92-E0D16C06BF6A.jpeg

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Okay so got all the parts I need except parking brakes. I’m not worried about that right now. Hopefully everything goes good. This will also be going on an NNBS and it’s stock drum brakes in the rear (which I hate with a passion) I got my backing plates from a 2001 Tahoe and everything else new. There were like 6 of them in the junkyard lol. I went with powerstop drilled/slotted rotors and pads because I did the front ones 2 weeks ago so I want them to match. Before this I wanted to do the littleshop MFG kit for the nnbs but those are single piston and are from like an 80something el derado which I didn’t like at all. So I’m going with this instead. View attachment 872069 View attachment 872069 View attachment 872070
Same setup I’m running on my 08 factory drum NNBS. Power stops good stuff.

Drum rear ends have the backing plate flange straight, vs 90 degree on the disk. So the caliber will sit almost at the top of the rotor when installed.

Brake lines sucked. Drum and disco have different threads. I have dual rear lines, I used the driver side off a 99-02 pickup, and the passenger off of the 06 Escalade I got the backing plates from.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well she’s done finished at night so horrible pictures. And an FYI don’t use normal cheap double flare kit get the Titan double flare tool one from Oreilys it does them perfect every time. With the other one I kept getting them lopsided on the passenger side. Please excuse the dirty wheels I’m washing my truck today.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts