GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the board, so hello!

Doing a set of DJM shackles on the 09 and when I spoke to the guys at stylin trucks they mentioned that I either had to unbolt the bed or some guys cut the top shackle bolt and use new ones going back together. Anybody cut theres, seems easier than pulling the bed liner and unbolting the bed.

Also, what is the torque spec for the shackle bolt? Thanks

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
no. Do not cut the bolt. You have to bend a piece that connets the 2 parts of the bed. Its right about where the shackles are. When you push the rear end up they hit that lip that im talking about and you have to bend it and then slide the bolt out.

·
Registered
748 Posts
no. Do not cut the bolt. You have to bend a piece that connets the 2 parts of the bed. Its right about where the shackles are. When you push the rear end up they hit that lip that im talking about and you have to bend it and then slide the bolt out.
Yep thats true! I did it to mine and it came out without any issues

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, I'll be doing it Sunday. I'll bend away! lol Any pics of what needs to be bent so I know going in what I'm looking at. Thanks!

John

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
When I just had mine leveled out, before my drop, I used a cut off wheel to cut that piece and bend it over with a hammer.

·
LayNBodyOn24z
1,702 Posts
yeah we do these all the time at my work, i usually take a grinder or a cut off wheel after it and just notch it.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
yeah we do these all the time at my work, i usually take a grinder or a cut off wheel after it and just notch it.
I was about to cut mine. It was a bitch to bend without the right tools. And when I hammared it, it made a dent in my bed. but then I fixed it with a block and hammer.

Just dont get pissed when the bolt dosent come out the first time. It will take a little bit to bend that piece and get the bolt out.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
If your removing the blocks at the same time, you can move the leaf over enough to get the bolt out with the u-bolts removed on that same side.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Going to leave the block in since I tow with it. Give me a lil extra room, just got to get the back down some.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ended up not doing it. Measured the truck and the back is only 1.75 taller than the front. I don't want it lower than the front, so I'm gonna hold on them. Is this normal? Truck has the sport suspension and factory 20's.

·
Registered
576 Posts
It wouldn't be noticable if the rear was .25 of an inch lower, and don't your shackles have 1 hole for 1" and another hole for 2" of drop? You could just use the 1" hole.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts