GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did this last year and I was very lucky it didn't take out the front a-arm mount or t-case.

Since I can't afford a lift kit for more clearance, I'm going to build a skidplate to cover the entire underside. The red dots are bolts

It will be one piece cut from a 4x8 sheet of either 10 gauge and will cover the front diff, tranny, exhaust, and t-case. I'm going to drill holes in the cross members and install 5/16-24 steel rivnuts for quick installation and removal along with six 3/8 bolts(2 front and 4 rear)
Here's a pic showing the dimensions. The most forward 11"x16" section will be bent up at a 35* angle to replace the splash guard.

I'm going to drop the plans off at the waterjet tomorrow so I may have it back by Friday. I'll keep it updated with pics of the completed installation.

Edit: The skidplate is 21 sq/ft. Using 10 gauge will put it at 115 lbs. I was going to use 3/16 but the added cost and weight(161 lbs) was a turn off.

·
Registered
909 Posts
ought to turn out good, look forward to seeing the finished product

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'd hate to pull it off everytime I change my oil, might not be too bad tho.
Should look good tho!

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
you could put a oil filter reloaction kit on there or maybe make a hinged panel simialr to the s10 zr2 skid plates that open for you to get to the filter.

Looking forward to finished pics.

·
MAG Autoworks
286 Posts
this should be very cool,

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
It would be a lot cooler if you could thread the holes to accept the bolt or weld nuts on top so you dont have to have a wrench on the topside top take it off.

·
Registered
636 Posts
It will protect your under carriage. However, if you offroad in water with weeds, tall grass, or sticks, its a pain in the neck to pull out all of the debris.

·
MAG Autoworks
286 Posts
the post above makes a good point, put some holes in it for water drains

·
TCBCK
567 Posts
Much needed if you wheel that hard :imo good luck with the build :head3:

It will protect your under carriage. However, if you offroad in water with weeds, tall grass, or sticks, its a pain in the neck to pull out all of the debris.

Id much rather do that than risk twisting/bending/breaking shit :shrug:

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
put some of the holes like on the fabtech traction bar. There is a technical name and IIRC it doesnt loose any strength but helps with weight and in this case allow the water to drain quicker

·
MAG Autoworks
286 Posts
id build so much if i had a cnc machine

·
Registered
564 Posts
One of those with 1-2" holes drilled in a pattern for draining, oil filter access and weight loss would be bad ass! If I had access to a waterjet or something like that, I'd build one. With enough holes drilled, you could prolly get it under 100lbs.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Or just build it properly and have it overlap so that it's can't catch in the transitions.

As for water build up, I dont really see much of an issue. Just make sure you put some thought into what could catch and how to avoid it. It should be a pretty straight forward build.

Lastly, if you build it right, with the right material that is weight efficient, you might gain a slight increase in mpg due to helping the aerodynamics.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
You're not going to do much to help an impact like what caused the dent in your front crossmember from hurting your t-case with 10ga and a span like you have from the tranny mount x-member and the rear most pictured crossmember.

The steel is just going to deform and the impact will get transfered to the mag t-case and crack it or the tranny tailhousing.

I like the idea (especially the use of the pem/rivet-nuts to secure it) but without some kind of stucture to minimize the unsupported spans I don't think 1/8"+.010 is going to provide quite the results you're after.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Getting kind of the same feedback on a local 4x4 board. I may end up using 1/4" with a mix of slots and holes to lighten it up. I have dimple dies(1/2-2") but you can't really dimple anything thicker than 11 gauge from my experience.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts