GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn! i love this site the more and more i search and read....

This is my first post...ive been reading up on some of these NNBS topics..
So many interesting topics...and ppl seem to actually respond and are helpful......

Here is my 2007 Chevy Silverado...4.3L V6 regular cab...

Ive Got a lot of questions...im a nub!....get ready to read...
Any help/answers is greatly appreciated..!!

1.) I dont even know where to start on removing my grill....
Is there a tutorial on how to remove the grill and headlights...?
If not, i don't see me being able to clear my headlights...which i really want to do...

Also..do you think clearing the headlights would be too hard for some1 with no experience....?

2.) Whats the best/cheap method to drop my truck.....?
Im not ballin so i cant spend $700+ on a drop kit/install....

I was reading that some guy took off the 1" block that Silverados have in the rear(if that's even true) and
put 2" drop shackles or whatever...for a total of a 3" drop in the back...which is pretty much what i want...

Also how is the ride quality when you drop it....is it worse...?

3.) I put 22's (Mizati Stix) on and when i brake i have this really bad "shuttering" or "wheel bounce" as some ppl like to call it.....

I emailed the rim company and they said the offset of my wheels is too low...
they said the 07 Chevy's need a high offset like a 30-35 and my 22's are 15......
I recently put on better brake pads in the front...and still the same shuttering when braking..
Someone said buying better rotors would help
because the 22's are so heavy....But what if new rotors doesn't help...?

What do you guys think i should do? Sell them?
If so i want to put the 2007 20" stock rims...but i dont know where to buy them...i know the dealership will charge a lot.....?!

4.) I desperately want my grill and chrome bumper color-matched....
Should i call an auto-body shop and get a quote..or a powder coating shop?

Also, the material on my door handles and mirrors is that black plastic....can that be sanded and painted?
....and still look good...? Or should i buy already painted handles and then color match them...?

Umm..i know ive got more questions but these have been on my mind...
But please hook me up...share your knowledge...like i said im a noob...
Any help is greatly appreciated...

Some bullshit photochop i did...

·
Cali Customs
1,507 Posts
3 inch inthe back isnt enough .. get a full flipkit with hangers and lift shackle thats what i did .. start with the drop then the rest shouldnt be much of $$$$$ IMO .

color matching shouldnt be an issue take it to a body shop and have them do the whole thing for u the grille removing and what not :)

Joe

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts

If not, i don't see me being able to clear my headlights...which i really want to do...

Also..do you think clearing the headlights would be too hard for some1 with no experience....?

I was reading that some guy took off the 1" block that Silverados have in the rear(if that's even true) and
put 2" drop shackles or whatever...for a total of a 3" drop in the back...which is pretty much what i want...

3.) I put 22's (Mizati Stix) on and when i brake i have this really bad "shuttering" or "wheel bounce" as some ppl like to call it.....

they said the 07 Chevy's need a high offset like a 30-35 and my 22's are 15......
I recently put on better brake pads in the front...and still the same shuttering when braking..

If so i want to put the 2007 20" stock rims...but i dont know where to buy them...i know the dealership will charge a lot.....?!

Also, the material on my door handles and mirrors is that black plastic....can that be sanded and painted?
....and still look good...? Or should i buy already painted handles and then color match them...?
welcome to GMFS

1) I did a how too on clearing headlights and how to remove the grille

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112077&highlight=headlights

2) If you wanna start with just leveling the rear, buy the belltech 6401 shackle kit. It is $60 from stylin

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.a...rts&canned_results_trigger=&partfamilyid=5309

3) Remove your back wheels/tires....there should be 1-2 star washer/brake drum clips on the studs...remove those. They are preventing your wheels from sitting flat against the brake drum. Also you may need hubcentric rings for the wheels if they arent hubcentric...but remove the clips first, that usually fixes it.

4) I guess your truck is silver birch. GM sells prepainted grilles, yours is part #19154229, or get everything painted to match, I just dont like painting over chrome.

Handles.....shop ebay and you'll find some take-offs allready painted to match.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
JB beat me to it, the handles are like $40 bux for a pair of 4 on ebay. Its cheaper to buy them and have a spare then for someone to sand the shit out of your stock ones... For the rear, buy the drop shackles, and remove the 1 inch block and youll be sitting level.. its a hell of a lot better than stock and if you want to go lower you can always sell the drop shackles and get ur money back.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts

So many interesting topics...and ppl seem to actually respond and are helpful......

Here is my 2007 Chevy Silverado...4.3L V6 regular cab...

JB beat me to it and gave a great write up.

Its not that hard at all to take the block out and put on shackles. You just have to bend a little piece that is under neath the bed that keep the shackle from going all the way up. Which means you can't get the shackle bolt out. Just cut that piece and bolt in the new shackle.

You can always find good deals on here on rims and what not. There are some GMC wheels for sale on here for 650 and they will fit your truck and still look good:imo

All that can be taken off and took to a painter. Or if you want to try and do it yourself, go right at it. There are plenty of good threads that will help you on how to use rattle can paint and the steps off getting the plastic smooth and ready for paint.

Umm..i know ive got more questions but these have been on my mind...
But please hook me up...share your knowledge...like i said im a noob...
Any help is greatly appreciated...

Some bullshit photochop i did...
Just read what I put in red and :welcome: to the site.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Not silver birch though

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts

·
Proud APBT Owner
415 Posts

Did you take the clips off the back drums? I had the same problem

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dam im loving all the amazing feedback....thank you everyone....all this info helps so much...

First things first is my wheels problem...this weekend i will definitely try and take the back wheels off and take those drum clips off.....The last thing i want to do is sell my 22's....

Big ups to JB ive been reading your threads like crazy...
The grill/headlight removal looks like a beast though...i dunno if i can do it...im afraid i wont be able to put the headlights/grill back together......might have to find a friend....But your clear headlight thread was really good....

Yea i might as well get those drop shackles....for only $60...i dont have $700+ to drop on a lowering kit.......I guess i can take those shackles to a shop..i don't think they would charge much to put them on for me....

Im gonna def check ebay out for those painted handles...Hopefully they will have them the same color as my truck..so i wont have to re-paint them...

JB why you say you dont like to paint over chrome...? How did you color match your front end..you bought the grill and bumper already painted...?
If so that must of been expensive...

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
Check with a member called "Steve" , i think he has some handles of the same color as your truck. he has a for sale thread in the forsale section.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts