GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 GMC 5.3 with AC, heat controls work, but when you put in on 4 and 5 there's nothing. My guess would be switch... any insight?

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what do you mean?

and Since I know the 05s don't have a filter, the part should still be the same correct?

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
what do you mean?

and Since I know the 05s don't have a filter, the part should still be the same correct?
NM, read the quote from nikolai

Dunno, best to call the dealer parts dept with the last 8 of your vin.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
NM, read the quote from nikolai

Dunno, best to call the dealer parts dept with the last 8 of your vin.
I know for a fact there is a different part number between a truck that came with a full console, and one that didn't...Its the same part, but the ducting is slightly different and the part has different mounting holes. I had to do this on my 03 a while back, it was just the resistor, although sometimes the harness will also get burnt up and you will have to buy the harness also, but I did not. Mine was just #5 would not work, 1-4 did. #5 you could hear the relay click, but never make contact.

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I quoted it for his ignorance, and found it funny. Him and Demon have something against me... (waits and hides till Demons see this and IMs me again)
Aight I'll let my buddy know. Thanks guys!

·
Custom User Title
275 Posts
I replaced the resistor at least 3-4 times already

·
concrete redneck
1,923 Posts
mine did the same thing but i guess it worked itself out. i know the plug was getting mighty warm though when it was screwed up.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
I replaced the resistor at least 3-4 times already
Did you ever check out the harness and connector to see if it was damaged? High resistance in the harness would cause the resistor to burn up. BTW the new resistor I installed was clearly better made than the one I replaced.

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
Did you ever check out the harness and connector to see if it was damaged? High resistance in the harness would cause the resistor to burn up. BTW the new resistor I installed was clearly better made than the one I replaced.
lol no shit, my original one was like little u-shaped bends of wires for resistors.

omg such a shitty half-assed design.

The new one has actual resistors soldered on the board.

·
┌∩┐(º_º)┌∩┐
363 Posts
Am i missing something here? 5'th gear on my AC doesnt work either, and i can't understand what you guys are doing to fix it. I see the pictures, but can't make any sense out of them. Can someone explain it in "I'm a dumbass" terms? :crazy:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Am i missing something here? 5'th gear on my AC doesnt work either, and i can't understand what you guys are doing to fix it. I see the pictures, but can't make any sense out of them. Can someone explain it in "I'm a dumbass" terms? :crazy:
Yea me too.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Yea me too.
Ok, basically the way the fan control works is that level 5 is full power, and 1-4 actually uses resistors to make the speed slower. Well that piece shown in Denaliano's post is the resistor module. It is really common to go bad, usually taking out the higher fan speeds. It sometimes takes out the harness with it by burning it up from high resistance. pull the cover off the HVAC ducts on the passenger side, and look for the little resistor module, check to make sure that the harness is not burnt up also(I am speaking of the harness with the male end that plugs into the module, the long rectangle connector). The module always goes bad, but the harness does not always going bad, but if the harness is bad and you replace the module, it will soon take the new module out with it. The new module is MUCH better quality, and should give you NO problems afterwards, unless it was connected to an already faulty harness, that by high resistance will cause the new module to fail.

That easy enough for ya? Simple $30 and 5 minute repair. (That took me like 2 years to actually do on my truck because I was lazy)

lol no shit, my original one was like little u-shaped bends of wires for resistors.

omg such a shitty half-assed design.

The new one has actual resistors soldered on the board.
Yep, you could see why my original one failed, it was all burnt up, and the green material on the circuit board had even gotten very hot and peeled. New one was night and day difference as far as quality (At least it appears so, haven't had any problems since).

Compare the old style burnt up one Denaliano posted to the new style here
102_0116.jpg

(These are both the updated style, but shows the difference between console and non console trucks, I believe the one with 2 tabs works for the console trucks but I can't remember)

·
Broke
1,169 Posts
I think mine may be going out too. Every now and then my 3-4 wont work.

I better start heading down to my dealer :nono:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
I think mine may be going out too. Every now and then my 3-4 wont work.

I better start heading down to my dealer :nono:
Yep, alot of them would work intermittently, why go to the dealer unless yours is still under warranty? Much cheaper online.

·
Candy Corn Harvester...
6,656 Posts
off topic, but the wife's TB the 5 speed on her fan is out, would this be the same deal? 1-4 work, but full blast no go. thanks ATOM

1 - 20 of 48 Posts