GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok when i swap in a 14 in the rear I realize i wont be able to use my ABS. Only prob is this is my daily driver and I have to have it inspected. Do I just have to look around for a crooked shop? or is there some way to trick the computer into thinking its working(yea right). What have you guys done(that have done this swap or any other swap removing ABS to get inspected?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
So the newer trucks use a sensor located on the axle for ABS now? Hmm, interesting... Can't you just get the junk off of the newer truck 14 bolts to make it work?

Oh hey, we don't have inspections here but when I went in for my smog check like 3 years ago they failed me on visual cause I had an ABS light on (solid axle swap with no sensors). So I went home and removed the whole ABS computer and replumbed the entire brake system with an older, larger MC, and a new proportioning valve and guess what, no computer equals no codes or lights and a passing grade.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
You should check your rear end for a sensor,I know I don't have one on my truck,and I'm sure it's ran off the vss on the tranny.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
Vhato (of FSC) knows a trick to get rid of it, it was quite simple, like unplugging a sensor like they mentioned

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am not sure why swapping in a 14-bolt would post an ABS code. As long as the gear ratio does not exceed 4.56 and the tires are no bigger than a measured 35.5" (37" on the tire) ABS should be fine. I assume you could swap in a 14-bolt drum brake setup and ABS would work just the same.

The ABS/Speed Sensors are located on the output side of the transmission and on both front wheels.

Where is DarkEternal at when you need him?!?!?! He did or is doing this. I would think it would work.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok i just wasnt sure if it would throw it off or not. I should have said that. I will however be running higher (lower) gears than 4.56.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
vhato said:
I am not sure why swapping in a 14-bolt would post an ABS code. As long as the gear ratio does not exceed 4.56 and the tires are no bigger than a measured 35.5" (37" on the tire) ABS should be fine. I assume you could swap in a 14-bolt drum brake setup and ABS would work just the same.
Does this mean that when I run 37s w/ 3.73 , 4.56 in the future, on my 10-bolt I will no longer have ABS and the dash light will be on?

·
2,451 Posts
if you go with 4.56s and reprogram it, youll be fine, but 4.88 and 5.13s will not work with abs. westers is trying to fix this problem, pm vhato if you want a better explaination.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
vhato said:

The ABS/Speed Sensors are located on the output side of the transmission and on both front wheels.

Where is DarkEternal at when you need him?!?!?! He did or is doing this. I would think it would work.
This is correct, the 14 bolt will work if you dont rip out the wheel sensors in teh front or the vss in the back. But in your case with 5.13s you are going to have the same issues as you would putting them in your 10 bolt. Your problem is not the 14 bolt but rather the gears. You might have heard me say my ifs wont work, that was when I was going to run a np205 and was going to have to bypass my vss or something, now im not doing that, just running a 241 which the vss plugs into. Do keep in mind though, using drums WILL change your braking.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
willyswanter said:
You can get an adapter that screws into the 205 speed cable that will create a vss signal.
yeah i know that, but to mate a ford 205 to a 4l60e you need two very $$$ adaptors from AA, so it wasnt worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
snigbertese said:
if you go with 4.56s and reprogram it, youll be fine, but 4.88 and 5.13s will not work with abs. westers is trying to fix this problem, pm vhato if you want a better explaination.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
27, 4l80e is 32.
Well yeah I know what the 80 has :crazy:

So you gotta go from 27 to a 205 cheaply... Ok so get a ford 205 and pick up a gm th350 205 input gear. Swap the input gears and now you have a 27 spline input ford 205. Get the drive sleeve from the th350-205 adapter and now you can hook them together. Go to the steel place and pick up some 3/8" plate and make a plate that bolts to the back of your tranny. Make another that bolts to the face of the t-case. Put a piece of tubing inbetween the correct length and bingo bango.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts