GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The great white Canadian
1,854 Posts
All the shitty failure components are still in the engine. It's just the chip telling them when to activate isn't there. And just like engines that have had AFM tuned off and still had a lifter fail, these engines are just as susceptible to failure.

And to be honest, in my 2020 I don't even notice DFM it's much smoother than AFM was in my 14, 17 and 18.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To tell you guys the truth I’ve never once come across anyone that’s had AFM or DFM issues. The new 22’s will have independent rear suspension and completely redesigned inside and out and heard optional DFM AFM and horribly annoying AutoShutOff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have only known two people in real life with AFM engines. My father had a 2016 or 17 Suburban 5.3 with AFM, never shut it off and bought it used. I believe it had 60-70k miles when he sold it 2 years ago and he never had an issue with it.
The other guy I knew was a coworker with a 2011 or something Silverado that had AFM failure at like 170k miles or some shit can't remember exactly. Never shut it off and bought it used as well.

From my experience you have a 50/50 chance lol

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very few people actually keep their trucks that long so it would be far less of a chance there would ever be a breakdown but, ya never know

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
From my experience you have a 50/50 chance lol
Iv done maybe 500 at this point? That’s still the only way I know how to explain it.

·
Super Moderator
6,282 Posts
I personally know two people that had a hard lifter failure. Both trucks were 14+ and had the system turned off since new, both before 100k.

Its hit or miss my brother inlaws 2015 has 150k on it and always had it active and no issues.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Had an early oil change done on my new 6.2. Spoke with head mechanics and all said that the failures have been happening with the 2019-2021 trucks, (excluding redesigned 21 Yukon’s)as the 22 trucks are redesigned and with updated motors. My Yukon has no auto shut off or Fuel management system. I’ve already placed an order for both, the AT4 Yukon and AT4 pickup then I’ll pick which one I feel more comfortable with but WOW! The new IRS rides fantastic and an obvious improvement over the solid rear axle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts